What to go for:- 2.7tdi S line or 3.0tdi Q S line

trekbiker

Reaction score
Folks,
i'm finally switching back to the Ingolstadt product over the Bavarian counterpart.

My budget is about 12k, ive seen a couple of the above advertised in different places.

Which to go for? has anyone owned both for any length of time?
I'm definitely after a 6 pot after owning a 2.5 B6 a few years ago.
I would deffo map the 2.7, and possibly the 3.0 if i wnet for one of those

2.7- advantages
better mpg
cheaper RFL
2WD handling
my budget would prob buy a year newer with same mileage

disadvantages
slower

3.0 adv-
Quattro handling
quicker, more torque
more fun per £

disadv-
lower mpg
higher maintenance costs

Does anyone have any further advice at all please?

Thanks
Marty

Hi
I can only speak about the 2.7 tdi engine, I found that superb and to be honest I think your real issue is wether you want quattro or not. I don't think you' ll have a problem with either of these V6 engines. I should imagine maintenace costs are very similar. In fact I've just had an email from Audi for service costs (up to 3.2 engine) Annual service £199 and Variable is £349 so it depends on your mileage which is most cost effective for you.HTH
JohnyT

to follow on from the above, has anyone mapped a 2.7 tdi at all?

If performance was a major factor, I'm not sure why you would choose the 2.7 and then map it. I might be missing the point here though, I'm just not so sure what the point of the 2.7 is, it has a very, very small increase in power over the 2.0TDI 170, which I think is a better choice if you want front wheel drive.

fair point, but aside from the sound of the V6, there are also the reliability issues. does the 170 2.0 suffer the same oil pump problems synonymous with the 140 2.0 tdi engine range?

And do Revo or anyone else do cruise control stalk retro fit? io seem to remember that someone used to do it with the B6s?

Not sure TBH. If it was me I would definately go for the 3.0TDI as it has more potential in every area, however I am biased as this was the car I had planned to buy at the beginning of the year. I did want quattro however and tiptronic with paddle shift, both of which mean fuel economy would be lower and maintenance higher, so really depends what your priorities are. I just don't see the point in getting a 2.7 if you plan to map it. Although I do understand that you may want a smoother V6 engine than a 4 pot with front wheel drive to keep it more economical etc. I really don't think you'd be disappointed with the 3.0 though and a lot are specced very well. Cruise is an easy retrofit regardless of the engine. Speak to Ben from shark performance (used to be a forum member on here) or I can give you the details for a great Audi master tech Manchester way that could help you, he's on vwaudiforum.

If you're concerned with reliability you could try and by an approved vehicle with warranty. I here the Audi warranty is pretty good at paying the RS6 boys out.

3.0 v6 Tdi all the way.

Maintenence costs are slightly higher, but as long as you look after it, it should'nt be a problem.

Remember the 3.0 takes 8 litres of oil.

The first thing i did with mine was change all my discs, pads, brake lines for a fraction of what audi would charge and now at least i know these wont need touching for quite some time now.

Thanks guys, food for thought. I'm also throwing in the 2.0tfsi into the mix, looking at a quattro prob tuesday, and there is a 2WD locally too!