What to do...???

garyburton29

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll be coming into abit of money soon so I was wondering what to do with some of it....!!!

I own an A3 3.2 Q DSG S-line and I'm thinking to take it to AMD to have the Stage 3 remap etc...supposed to give upto 40bhp more....I would be happy with 280 bhp....I've had the car just over one year and has never let me down once...never missed a beat at all....

I also like the Impreza's...I'm just wondering if i'm gonna be wasting my money on the remap or getting an Impreza...

I know my car by know, it's had the 40k haldex etc serviced and everything else done upto date...however buying an impreza it could end up letting me down later on...or could be a perfect runner....

I also love my 3.2 and not sure if I'd notice the difference in power much after having the Stage 3 remap..as in no punch like when you put your foot down in the impreza

Would i be wasting my money in having the stage 3???:think:

depends how much money you've got coming your way I suppose, a couple of £000 and i'd say do the remap, a few hundred £000 and i'd say the remap was a waste of time as you could go and buy a new car!?

My next door neighbour is always moaning about his Impreza costing a fortune to run, but then I wonder if it's all that bad when he's recently bought Impreza No.3!

Go have a look at a few Imprezas and work out what you'd miss from the Audi and what you might gain, then weight it all up. Are you going to waste your money, who knows, but wasting a few hundred quid on a remap is a bit different to wasting £000's on the Impreza, so i'd do the cheapest first if it were me.

Well i know it's something like £2300 inc vat for the Stage 3 remap but i'm pondering to put that money plus my A3 towrds an impreza...Mine is on a 05 plate and only done 40K so I would of thought that it's worth px about £9k plus 3 grand would get me an 06 or 07 plate impreza that I've seen on autotrader...

The money is from an injury in Iraq so who knows how much i'll be getting...But even if it's £100k i wouldn't splash out on a new car....
My audi stands me at nothing...

I was in this dilemma last yr between this car and an impreza. I think the A3 is less costly to run than the impreza to be honest....but would like abit more power

What kind of budget would your new scooby be. (jsut read yur other post now)

If its around £10k+ around and 04, a friend has one and they seem pretty bullet proof if im honest (alot better than the older ones). Around 300 to the tank on daily drives im told. The classic shape will cost you a bomb to run as you regularly have to go into your pockets to fix something and they drink.

With mods (such as the remap etc.), you never get your money back and with a new car, you have to remember that you will fully service it (if it hasnt been done) and may need brakes, tyres clutch as they're performance motors and so downside to both.

Persoanlly, Id go for a new shape (04+) Scooby WRX STI PPP and with 300+ BHP, they're fooking beasts and can tuned to 340+ easy with a map and breather mods. But im a Jap head so :S If it was the classic shape or older, i wouldnt bother and stick with the 3.2 V6!

If it helps at all, I sold my A3 2.0 TDI for a japanese car, 02 Accord Type R and loving it. Sure the interiors not as good but it more than makes up for it in the driving experiance!

I'll go upto £12k for an Impreza so however much I'll have to give extra on top of my A3....BUT.......I'm just torn between both cars....I'm sure if I got the Stage 3 remap and had 280 bhp that would surely be on the same power scale as the standard Impreza...

But on the other hand ....You can't beat the sound of the scooby

I think even with 280bhp, the A3 would not be on par with the Impreza, in the performance stakes, but I imagine what you'd end up with is a comfy cruiser, which has a bit of a punch under the bonnet when you want it. What do you want, because there are two quite different choices there?

I've always wanted an Impreza since the mid 90's but been put off with people saying they cost a fortune to run....And I could end up buying a decent impreza that could be full of faults....Or have a fairly nippy 3.2 that I know has been solid over the last 12 months....

I don't want to spend just over £2k on the remap and not notice the difference in power...I mean is an extra 40bhp quite noticable on a 3.2 engine????

Also I'm sure the Impreza is more prone to be stolen than my 3 door A3

Get the Scooby and get it out of your system.:icon_thumright:
Ok it might be expensive to run and you might only keep it for 6 months but at least you would have done it.
Or you might think, ********, its a great car and worth the expense!

Ive flirted with Scooby ownership everytime Ive changed car and after seeing a new white WRX hatch with the anthracite wheels etc I could still see myself in one.
Although having sat in one a few weeks back it was a bit naff in the cabin and that would be hard to get used to after being spoilt by the A3 cabin with all of the trinkets.

(in big Brother Geordie voice)....You Decide !

cheers
Paul

I agree with Paul and having been for a jolly in one can say they are fast,it looks like its a scratch you need to sort

Gary
I have been chasing up a stage one and milltek catback for my 3.2 which should give about 20-25bhp which is up to 10% but as i understand it the throttle response and drivability is the real gain making the power you have more usable. dont go chasing rolling road bhp figures as thats only half the story.

Sorry but you will look like a knob in a Subaru....every one does :yes:

Last edited:
Sorry but you will look like a knob in a Subaru....every one does :yes:

stereotyping to the max,I saw one in the petrol station and never thought that for a moment.

how about - dont bother with any stage whatever NA map and fit an vortech supercharger?

instant 320bhp, and the possibility to go to 350 - 380bhp with a bit more work.

I cant believe no one else has done this on the A3 at all?

a setup for a golf r32 will fit - i just happen to have one!

I can't seem to bring myself to pay around £7k for a superchager ( if that's what they cost )

I just might have to get the subaru thing out of my system but then I know i'll be hooked and that's where all my money will be going.....

where as a stage 3 remap on my A3 on a car that i know has been faultless over the last 13 months is making it harder for me to decide...****** nightmare this s.....I'd love to know if this Stage 3 on a 3.2 engine was gonna be worth £2300

In my experience its always cheaper to buy a powerful motor than to make a motor powerful..

voorhees...bet ya did:)

If its a nice tidy Subaru then everyone wont think your a nob.
Why would they?

If its an old sh!tter with wacky stickers, daft tailpipes, horrible aftermarket bits etc, then thats a different thing.

Does that mean old grannies look like nobs in Corsas just because a few boy racers kick around in chavved up versions?

Anyway, ******** to what `everyone` thinks, you likes what you likes. Its your cash and your hobby mate.

Go on, scratch the itch:icon_thumright:

Paul

Who says they cost a fortune to run?? In my experience no worse in terms of servicing than an Audi, although you don't have variable limits so it is all fixed annual stuff.

People say you should change the oil every 6 months, but the manufacturer doesn't. It used to be the case for the early cars to change oli every 6000 but not anymore.

The one thing that will cost you money is the modding bud, however with the exception of PPP that never grabbed me as my cars were too new.

Matt

Thanks guys....You've made my mind up...I'll have to get a Scooby....
Been wanting one for years and years...mind you there's nothing wrong with my A3 but it's something I have to do while I've got the money to do so....

I'll have £12k altogether including my car for px...but got to wait now for an offer of settlement form the ins comp...May it be a big wedge:hubbahubba:

Could be weeks or months for it to come through...so i'll have to be patient but I don't want to rush into buying one and get a dog that i'll be pumping money in....

Who says they cost a fortune to run?? In my experience no worse in terms of servicing than an Audi, although you don't have variable limits so it is all fixed annual stuff.

People say you should change the oil every 6 months, but the manufacturer doesn't. It used to be the case for the early cars to change oli every 6000 but not anymore.

The one thing that will cost you money is the modding bud, however with the exception of PPP that never grabbed me as my cars were too new.

Matt

I see you've had a few subaru's mate but you seem to go back to Audi...Probably that's what i'll end up doing

I'm loving that UK Sti, looks a very good price too. My Mates just paid 15k for something very similar.

oh ...i'm definately getting a Subaru now just to get it out of my system....

still deciding....But what i did do is get a few quotes from insurance comps telling them about my stage3 etc mods....It'll put about £300 on top of my ins...does this sound about right or over the top???