what to do with my 2.0 tdi ?

Nate A3 Sline

Reaction score
I have recently brought myself a 09 a3 2.0 tdi sline (140)the interior and body on the car are as good as it gets besides a s3, but i love modifications and never really done that stuff on the engine with my cars, but if someone could set my in the right direction interms of where i could get more power from.... i was thinking about getting a chip costing around £400 boasting a 30bhp+ increase has anyone had any joy tuning there 2.0tdi and if so what should i be doing ???

Thanks in Advance :D

I think most coman mods mate egr delete dpf removal and remap I have done egr delete and booked in for remap on 3rd jan

Firstly you do not buy a "chip", the term is a "remap" achieved by plugging a laptop with the relevant software and downloading a new map to the cars ECU.
On your 2.0TDI this is easy as long as your turbo and clutch are healthy. 30- 40bhp is a realistic figure.
Contact any of the Site Sponsors mentioned on this forum, they are all tried and tested and you won't have any problems.

Firstly you do not buy a "chip", the term is a "remap" achieved by plugging a laptop with the relevant software and downloading a new map to the cars ECU.
On your 2.0TDI this is easy as long as your turbo and clutch are healthy. 30- 40bhp is a realistic figure.
Contact any of the Site Sponsors mentioned on this forum, they are all tried and tested and you won't have any problems.

I have the 2.0 tdi 170 quattro
Had the dpf removed today, booked in sat morn for remap > should be somewhere near 230bhp mark !
Cannot wait.......

As Baza says, the DPF removal and EGR delete will also help power and MPG, discuss that as well as the remap.

I have the 2.0 tdi 170 quattro
Had the dpf removed today, booked in sat morn for remap > should be somewhere near 230bhp mark !
Cannot wait.......
Sounds like fun :D... btw im a tech novice when comes to engine stuff but from what i gather a remap is non reversable or pain in **** if needed, where as a chip is plug in and remove when needed (insurance) a friend has one and has no problems and had a significant power increase, but at same time i don't want nothing to hurt my new pride an joy... if i remap will will void any warranty i have tho right ?

Diesel partical filter , exhaust gass reserculation valve

The remap is reversable as the Tuner will always store your old map should there be any problems. Also the Tuner will put your OE map back on at a later date when you sell the car for free, well at least the long standing tuning companies will.
DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) is basically a soot oven, it filters the soot from the engine after combustion and incinerates it at a high temperature when the car is on a long run at a decent speed. The theory being that resultant ash is less harmful to our trees and babies than Soot.
EGR ( Exhaust Gas recirculator) Diverts part of the exhaust gases back into the engine to burn off soot and other gases, to reduce smoke out of the exhaust.
The above ideas are what Euro 4 & 5 emmisions are all about. The systems also reduce power to the wheels and increase mpg by varying degrees.
Having either removed is a bit of lottery with the MOT man on whether he notices they are gone from undre the bonnet, much discussion around the forum about this, have a read.

i shall look into this abit more as i kind of ruled out a remap on that basis.... so the chip as i call it if i went down that route is there any major problems i dont know about ?

You are supposed to tell your insurance company about what you have done as it is a modification. Forget the word Chip, it's not relevant as there are no chips to change, it is a remap.

I had my dpf removed by splitting the exhaust, removing it & welding it back up so it looks standard, no mot issues at all ! The remap is the way fwd, i dis my brothers about 3 months ago ( tested it on his car 1st lol ) & he says its like a new car but only took it upto 205bhp. Its got smooth power all the way thru the rev range > he loves it !!
So i gotta go 1 better & take it to a new level !!