What to buy?? A5 Coupe diesel but which engine/variant?

chrisy t

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with my next purchase! started out with an a3 2.0tdi BKD then moved onto the a4 B8 2.0tdi 143 on a 58 plate. I am really wanting and a5 coupe, but I'm stuck on which engine to go for! I think its either going to be the 2.0tdi or the 3.0tdi Quattro. I preferably would like a manual. Also what kind of spec and mileage should I be looking at and what variant, sport, s line etc. My budget isn't that big mind, I'm hoping to spend no more than £14,000 which I know isn't really that much to spend with these kind of cars! Any help would be much appreciated and also feedback from a5 owners and experiences!. Also what kind of mpg figures I would be looking at, especially with the 3.0tdi Quattro.

Cheers

Chris

I get about 35mpg from my 3.0 TDI Quattro.

To me SLine styling is a must in Audi's and I've never been impressed with anything less.

Comes down to budget though as you say, if you don't need the Quattro you'll get more car and mpg from the 2.0 but obviously not as good in the wet and less fun. If you test drive a 3.0 you'll always be disappointed with the 2.0 . Have you considered 2.7?

Probably get an 09/10 with 70 to 80k for that money.

You can map a 2.0 quite well at a later date?

Good luck.

14K will get you a nice 3.0 TDI. You can pay a lot for low mileage pristine examples going to main dealers and the like. But look around for some private sale cars or on forums and get them at a better price.
The S line models always fetch more they usually come with more toys and bits and pieces. As above you can pick up 09 cars for that money maybe 10 plate with more miles or lower spec.
Mpg wise I get around 34-35 mpg out of my A4 Avant with the same engine drive train as the A5.
They are in a different league to the 2.0 cars especially when mapped.

Thanks for the response guys, I hadn't really considered the 2.7 as it only comes in an auto and I wasn't sure as ive never owned an auto! How does the 2.7 compare to the 3.0 in terms of performance and economy? My worry is that I settle for the 2.0tdi as I currently have the 2.0tdi however it is only a 143bhp rather than the 170bhp. Do you think a mapped 2.0tdi can get close to the performance of the 3.0? the only thing with the 3.0 is more fuel costs I suppose!

Cheers.

Chris

Have a look at the stats on fuelly for Audi A4's and A5's with the V6 and 4 cylinder L4 diesel engines.
The 4 cylinder isn't that great despite the manufacturers claims.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/

10k miles a year 35mpg = £1660 of fuel a year at £5.90 a gallon = £1.30 a litre.
10K miles a year 43mpg = £1372 of fuel

1660 - 1372 = £288. 288 / 52 = £5.54 a week extra if you do 10K miles a year with that differential in fuel economy. Obviously if you do 20k miles a year it will cost you £11 a week extra.
A mapped 143 bhp car will get to around 180-185 bhp so is comparable to a 170. A 170 goes to around 205-210 bhp and won't be as quick as a standard 3.0. The 3.0 has quattro so can handle the power and use it. The 3.0 maps to 290-300 bhp and a bit more if you lose the DPF.
My car isn't much slower than a standard S4 and does a lot better on fuel.

karl.

Reactions: Swanny356
[QUOTE="

10k miles a year 35mpg = £1660 of fuel a year at £5.90 a gallon = £1.30 a litre.
10K miles a year 43mpg = £1372 of fuel

1660 - 1372 = £288. 288 / 52 = £5.54 a week extra if you do 10K miles a year with that differential in fuel economy. Obviously if you do 20k miles a year it will cost you £11 a week extra.
A mapped 143 bhp car will get to around 180-185 bhp so is comparable to a 170. A 170 goes to around 205-210 bhp and won't be as quick as a standard 3.0. The 3.0 has quattro so can handle the power and use it. The 3.0 maps to 290-300 bhp and a bit more if you lose the DPF.

karl.[/QUOTE]

Wow DS; Great response (thought I was the one in finance?) if I was you I'd avoid the 2.7 from what I've heard and go 2 or 3 litre route.

If running costs an issue go 2.0 if you want performance go 3.0, if undecided test drive them and then start looking for a 3.0 Quattro :hubbahubba:!!!

LOL

Well I got a 2.0 tdi Quattro on a 09 it got 3G mmi sat nav DVD player got a chip box from td uk it's getting around 220 hp now its getting around 45 mpg and performance wise I'm happy got it for just under 12k a few month back

3.0 tdi quattro S-line , then out of the two you know you have the Daddy and not 2nd best.

I got myself a 2008 A5 Coupe 3.0TDI manual for £13.5k with 70k on the clock. Fully service and MOT'd. Just spent £600 fixing bits n bobs but over the moon with it :) however could of spent less but wasn't many in my area in Black and in good con.

The only downside of a 3.0 is the availability compared to the 2.0. You are very lucky if you can find the ideal car on your doorstep, usually involves some travelling but I think it's worth the effort / extra expense.

A bit late to the party, but to echo what others have said the 3.0TDi is a peach of an engine so if you can stretch to that I would recommend it. I would suggest that the 2.7TDi is a bit of a no mans land engine in so far as it offer little extra performance over the higher rated 2.0TDi or the economy to go with those. That said it will sound nicer than a 2.0TDi and may suit your needs, although I suspect not in this case. I base that on previously owning an older 2.5TDi which was neither one thing or the other and I always regretted not holding out for the 3.0TDi.

As said 3.0TDi with quattro, trim level is whatever suits your needs but, of course aim as high as is reasonable. :)

Reactions: warren_S5
All depends are how many miles you doing? And where you are clocking them up. I wouldn't fancy driving a 3.0 tdi Quattro around town for short trips to the shops. The 3.0 behaves best on a nice stretch of A road or motorway. I have a 2.0 143, the a4 being 4.7meters long, we use mostly for trips up north motorway driving and journeys 30mins plus. In London we have public transport and a travelcard, sadly

Short trips will fek up your DPF n Clutch

Surely a 6 cylinder will be an even nicer and smoother drive around town.

A 6 will always be more refined than a 4 pot.

Mpg gas guzzlers, you'd rarely get the 6pot warm enough to bring it's smoothness n efficiency. My 2pence