What suspension?

speedfreek

Reaction score
In the next couple of months I will be getting a suspension setup of some sort for my '99 1.6 A3, but what do I go for? There are so many kits out there its hard to make up my mind.

What I want is:

Reasonable drop, will be getting 17's so want not a lot of arch gap but still giving me full turning circle with the wheels and NO rubbing.

Little stiffer than std, but not too much as I want a comfy car still.

Budget somewhere around £500 but can be flexible.

What do you suggest?!

Yep, me!

Wietec Ultra GT kit is what you need. I have a 40mm drop on mine and its bang on. No rubbing (I run 18's) and the ride is as good if not better than standard :)

You might get some clearance issues on your front antiroll bar on full lock though so you might need to get another fromt ARB to sort it out :)

T

Whilst I am thinking about it...

What with a 40mm drop, what is the max wheel size I can go for with no rubbing assuming low pro tyres?

I have 18's and there's loads of room, ET35 offset :)

I could get 19's on there but the 18's look plenty big enough as is. If you read DPM's post the 40mm drop isnt available for your car in a Wietec kit so its 30mm or 50mm if you want one of their kits.

Not sure what it would be like on a 50mm drop, looking at mine I think it would be OK.

T

Who says I have to get the Wietec kit? :p

Are they more superior than the KW kit in terms of quality and performance?

I doubt I will go for anything bigger than an 18" - I think it will look a bit silly on a small car :)

I doubt I will go for anything bigger than an 18" - I think it will look a bit silly on a small car :)

You could go for any kit you want, 40mm is spot on for me...not too low that it catches on bumps etc but the wheels fill the arches really nicely.
I cant comment on other kits as I've not tried them but I chose Wietec over the others as plenty of people say its good.

KW kit is alright as well though from what I've read though :) I think someone on here fitted one of their kits not so long ago so they might have something to say about it :icon_thumright:

Nice one - cheers mate, all good info :)

Can't wait to get spending now!

If your cars anything like mine it'll empty your wallet!.

I'd also suggest looking at getting some uprated antiroll bars when pennies allow. I've got 25mm KW front and back ones...brilliant :)

T

Well i have the MOT coming in Feb which I have allowed £500 for... but early I know, but whatever isnt spent on necessary repairs will be on mods.

To be honest, I will only be doing suspension, wheels and ideally a new interior on this car... I have done serious modding before and it nearly bankrupted me lol. Not on this car.. this is the sensible car....

KW is very similar but better quality raw materials then the Weitecs.

Damian @ DPM Performance