Saloon What size wrap for rear spoiler?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
Which of these will do the job for the spoiler?

And what about the end of the roof after the sunroof? May as well take that black as well.

At less than £20 for that wrap off eBay it’s worth a go myself.

62d530cd9cad5196f9e62785103fcf48.jpg

hahah you’re basically asking for someone to go out and measure their car... it would have been far quicker for you to just nip out and do it yourself rather then start this thread :sweatsmile:

Regarding the roof, I’d also like mine done... the only problem area is the shark fin

89F6A5AD C77F 4CEE 9C80 DD3E34EE7990

Yes, shark fin needs removed which means you need to get in from underneath to undo the bolts that hold it in place. This requires the roof panelling to be pulled back.

Just buy a big bit, you are bound to **** the first bit up :whistle2:

Reactions: AudiNutta
@Leo-RS Do you know how hard/easy of a job this is mate? and how much work is involved to remove all the parts needed?

@Leo-RS Do you know how hard/easy of a job this is mate? and how much work is involved to remove all the parts needed?

I don’t I’m afraid, the company that done mine had it for about 5-6 hours (full roof wrap) so it’s not as easy as you would think especially with the shark fin that needs removed.

Looks stunning though in my opinion and really sets the black pack look off.

I don’t I’m afraid, the company that done mine had it for about 5-6 hours (full roof wrap) so it’s not as easy as you would think especially with the shark fin that needs removed.

Looks stunning though in my opinion and really sets the black pack look off.

Yep, agree there mate... can I ask? Where did you have it done at?

BFA200FF 1287 452C 905B 6DF528253A73
BD01D898 C333 49DC BA04 A0BB0BD36B49
C6BBA75C C2EE 47F3 8BC8 24A860FAD73A
CCE0B297 31EF 4A93 842F 8E45C0003BCF
B1E69A4C 7BC1 4AE6 8A6E 1688C3FACE0A
Yep, agree there mate... can I ask? Where did you have it done at?

A local company in Perth (Scotland not Australia :D ) called Blackout window tinting. Used them before and the guy is really good. £180 for the roof wrap but he gave me a £20 discount being a previous customer.

Difficult to picture due to the glare but yes, would recommend. I had the Pano roof on my order form right up until the last minute and removed it for the weight penalty but then wanted the black roof to complete the black/blue contrast look that I was after and it’s come out great.

Reactions: Phil3
hahah you’re basically asking for someone to go out and measure their car... it would have been far quicker for you to just nip out and do it yourself rather then start this thread :sweatsmile:

Regarding the roof, I’d also like mine done... the only problem area is the shark fin
You can't seriously expect the OP to measure his own spoiler, its far to cold for that, much better someone else goes out into the cold and measures theirs. :smiley:

View attachment 148127 View attachment 148128 View attachment 148129 View attachment 148130 View attachment 148131

A local company in Perth (Scotland not Australia :D ) called Blackout window tinting. Used them before and the guy is really good. £180 for the roof wrap but he gave me a £20 discount being a previous customer.

Difficult to picture due to the glare but yes, would recommend. I had the Pano roof on my order form right up until the last minute and removed it for the weight penalty but then wanted the black roof to complete the black/blue contrast look that I was after and it’s come out great.
Thats a lovely looking RS3, the roof compliments the colour really well.

View attachment 148127 View attachment 148128 View attachment 148129 View attachment 148130 View attachment 148131

£180 sounds damn reasonable and not even worth doing it yourself

Its weird how tastes go. Not long ago people spent a lot of money making their car look one colour with no contrast....now we are doing the opposite lol

I've always loved that shape SL - still do. beautiful cars

Reactions: Flowrider99
So I was working today right next to a wrap place!

Asked them to quote me for PPF and then thought why not see if they can do my rear spoiler. So for £40 - more expensive than buying some stuff of Ebay and I reckon I could do it myself although they defiantly have an art to it - now it’s black.

d9d079cfd4ad2ba20d6e7cd69e65f8c6.jpg
e7f9c630955b5d6e63be818d8966ded3.jpg
fc7fc901b6a89fc58f788b2d6bdbc3bf.jpg

Doesn’t the boot spoiler come in black already from the factory ?

As for the roof wrap, get it done professionally by a local company. Shark fin doesn’t need to be removed they just cut around it and put some silicon sealer on the edges.

I found a company called posh wash in london who said they can turn my wheels into diamond cut to look exactly like the optional wheels for £95 per wheel... they said they need a day and a half to do it which would be a slight problem, but something to do in a couple of months I think if I feel the look isn’t for me.

I changed over the air vents to the old style RS3 vents and I need to swap my rear door puddle lights for the audi rings I took off my S3; just its too cold to be messing about outside right now.

And @Phil3 I know you said that in jest but actually that was really why I posted!

Wrap looks good, Ive never seen anything wrapped, how do they finish the edges? And what do the edges look like

Is it a cut? Or something else

Wrap looks good, Ive never seen anything wrapped, how do they finish the edges? And what do the edges look like

Is it a cut? Or something else

On a good wrap you should never be able to see any edges at all... they should all be tucked away under the trim etc

The wrap is in my case a black material that is sticky on one side.

The guy that did mine put some tape down that he said he could pull to remove the excess first. Then he placed it on top and pushed out air bubbles with a squidgy and then used heat to get it so stay stuck. He then pulled the tape and it cut all the outside of the wrap that was excess and looked perfect.

If I had done it myself I would have just cut it with a blade so that was very interesting. They also do PPF; my only issue I see with them doing it is they are not car detailers so I don’t know if they have a partner to prepare the car or if they would literally only apply it.

Cut it with a blade... you’ll be left with plenty of nice cuts into the paintwork afterwards doing it that way... as careful as you try to be... you’ll always cut the paint

The wrap is in my case a black material that is sticky on one side.

The guy that did mine put some tape down that he said he could pull to remove the excess first. Then he placed it on top and pushed out air bubbles with a squidgy and then used heat to get it so stay stuck. He then pulled the tape and it cut all the outside of the wrap that was excess and looked perfect.

If I had done it myself I would have just cut it with a blade so that was very interesting. They also do PPF; my only issue I see with them doing it is they are not car detailers so I don’t know if they have a partner to prepare the car or if they would literally only apply it.

You don’t need to prep the car before PPF. As long as there is no tar or deposits on the paint which can be done with a simple clay bar, it doesn’t matter. Any swirls are 100% hidden by the film, mine wasn’t corrected before the film and it is perfect. Reep never correct them first it’s a waste of time, when the film is removed they would need to be corrected again to remove any glue residue.

You don’t need to prep the car before PPF. As long as there is no tar or deposits on the paint which can be done with a simple clay bar, it doesn’t matter. Any swirls are 100% hidden by the film, mine wasn’t corrected before the film and it is perfect. Reep never correct them first it’s a waste of time, when the film is removed they would need to be corrected again to remove any glue residue.

Interesting point you make there. The only thing is I can’t afford PPF at over £1k for several months; but I guess what you say still stands.

Interesting point you make there. The only thing is I can’t afford PPF at over £1k for several months; but I guess what you say still stands.

The car will need to have tar and iron contaminants removed whether it’s now or in 6 months. The people applying PPF will HAVE to do this or the film will be horrific, all lumpy and bumpy. You should ask what process they take but the point in my post is, don’t be concerned if they don’t correct the paintwork.

Honestly if you can borrow the money for now, put it on a credit card.. once you have a stone chip, you’ve defeated the object.