What should I do?

VWNCC

Reaction score
Hi fellow 8V owners, I am looking for some advice. Please let me know what you think.

I have owned the A3 S-line 2.0T quattro for about 2 years now. I like everything about the car except for the soft suspension (I opted for the SE suspension, sigh...I didn't test drive before I bought the car) and the lack of sporty sounds. This is a Canadian-spec car, so the it has the very nice S-line interior with flat-bottom steering wheel and etc...

Talking to my dealer, I could trade it in for a S3 if I take ~10k USD depreciation (MSRP difference aside). Is 10k USD depreciation a lot for ~29000 km and 2 years?

BTW, I don't care much for the extra power of the S3 (I have test driven it recently) and I found the A3 2.0T quattro way more than sufficient in terms of power.

My question is....

A) should I trade my car (2 years old, ~29000km) for a S3 for ~10k USD depreciation + MSPR difference?

or

B) Upgrade the suspension and call it a day

or

C) Wait for the RS3 and decide then?

If you can afford it go for it...Or better still if you can wait go for the new RS3 saloon/sedan... :rock:

Have you investigated how much it would cost to lower the suspension? You are obviously attached to the car (understandably) so wouldn't this be the solution, if the cost compares favourably to the trade in costs?

If you can afford it go for it...Or better still if you can wait go for the new RS3 saloon/sedan... :rock:

The only reason why I would go for the RS3 is the novelty of it and it being so special, but to be honest, given that I don't even need the S3 power, buying a RS3 will be a complete waste of money. Though, I love the RS3. :)

Have you investigated how much it would cost to lower the suspension? You are obviously attached to the car (understandably) so wouldn't this be the solution, if the cost compares favourably to the trade in costs?

about 2k CAD so 1.5k US? This is definitely more cost-effective than trading in, but I am worried that I won't like the new suspension setup (can't test drive before hand) and so it might be a complete waste of money.

Reactions: pburv
Keep your current car and put an aftermarket suspension set up to your liking.It will be your cheapest option... :shrug:

Thanks for all the reply...so I guess the consensus is just to upgrade the suspension...

The only problem with coilover is potential corrosion issue here in Canada. I'd probably need to go with the Eibach-Bilstein B12.