What Remap for an S3 8P

tom1987

Reaction score
what best remap to get for s3 8p - been reading stage 2s **** up the clutch easily and heard about fueling problems although revob website claims new fuel pump is needed at stage 2+ - also what is stage 1+ as this is not mentioned on revos website but ive heard about it on here.

I think it all depends how extreme you want to go and how deep are your pockets bearing in mind that if you want to sell your car you will not recoup your outlay.
For me, I was interested in a bit more performance without busting the bank. As I have never modified a car before for performance I took the safest option in that I installed a Bluefin on my S3 along with a Pipercross panel filter and a GFB DV+ diverter valve.
The car goes very well and I am totally happy with what I have done. Within 30 mins everything can be back to standard if required.

Since doing these modifications, we took our Golf GTi 1.8T to R-Tech for a stage 1 rolling road remap. The difference in performance was amazing but it would be hassle to get back to standard in required.
An R-Tech remap would have extracted more BHP from the S3 than the Bluefin and for less money but Bluefin gave me the option to revert to standard with a full refund within 7 days if I had required.
So you pays your money and you takes your choice. One thing that the excellent chaps at R-Tech said is that many people spend money on go faster bits that are expensive but in many cases do not improve performance by a corresponding amount.

Peter

Thats the 64k dollar question. Most top tuners maps such as Shark, Revo, APR, Bluefin have different driving aspects. Shark is progressive and strong, Revo are quite aggresisve as is the APR. It all depends on what you want out of the map. Do your research carefully and dont go just by peoples opinions as some follow just one tuner and havent tried any other. I have tried 3 but I shall remain completely unbias and sit on the fence for obvious reasons. If you can see if you can get a drive of a Revo'd S3 and a Sharked S3 and see for yourself the difference. Hope this helps.

between progressive and agreesive maps.
Progressive hold torque higher up the revs and aggressive is just as much torque as early as possible but dies out higher up?

But what i dont understand is, cant you just have the turbo at full wack throughout the whole rev range? lol why only steadily up or aggressive at the start.

I dont think it helps that the Shark remap is £200 cheaper (£399) than the revo option (£499 + VAT) when making a sensible decision
however...

Initially i fancied a shark map & have heard some very good things but at the same time i have heard it doesn't give the WOW factor people where expecting from it. In fairness, i haven't heard this about the revo one...

Id be interested to see a power curve for the shark map, the revo ones freely available on the website. Im unsure of the reason for the £200 price difference between the two other than that revo is pretty well established where as shark are still new software company. I think as brodster said you need to drive the two... as do i!

Just doing a few google searches and people tend to choose a 'progressive' map, like the shark, as they dont put soo much strain on internals like agressive maps do.

But end of the day, if you suddenly want your car to throw you back in your seat at mid range revs, then aggressive is the way to go.
But neither are 'faster' than the other i dont think. but progressive is more drivable and this will be what i will be choosing next sat for mine.

I was fortunate to get a run in Brodsters S3 when he fitted my RNSE.
Gave me the wow factor alright, car is rapid :)

Dave_S3. Need to correct you there mate. Shark have been on the go for quite a while now and both head tech guys including the MD are at the top of their game when it comes to remapping cars so not as new as you believe.

Shark Performance just won the silver prize aswell at ADI which is a massive achievement.

Reactions: S3Alex, Dave-S3 and crunchie
I have just had the same problem as you wanted to get my remap so I done my research I went with shark I have revo intake and a turbo back miltek because I don't have my clutch yet Ben at shark hq mapped my car to suite at the moment and the difference is unreal car pulls constantly to the red line! It's smoother and car just feels so much better, If that's any help, I think it's a case of do your own research and make a choice lol so much out there to choose from but I would be sticking with a big tuner I know a few people who tried to get it done on the cheap big mistake,

Reactions: S3Alex
Dave_S3. Need to correct you there mate. Shark have been on the go for quite a while now and both head tech guys including the MD are at the top of their game when it comes to remapping cars so not as new as you believe.

Shark Performance just won the silver prize aswell at ADI which is a massive achievement.

Is yours stage 1 bud? Fair enough i wasnt aware, if its between progressive and agressive then i think i would prefer progressive i.e a shark, its also helpful that its £200 cheaper to go towards a CAI so we can start on Stage 3 prep ;)

Is yours stage 1 bud? Fair enough i wasnt aware, if its between progressive and agressive then i think i would prefer progressive i.e a shark, its also helpful that its £200 cheaper to go towards a CAI so we can start on Stage 3 prep ;)

Pretty much all of the decent maps can be set up to come in progressively or quickly depending on your preferences.

Stg3 depends on which company you choose as Revos Stg2+ is the equivalent of Sharks Stg3.

In Revo land Stg3 is a big turbo.

A map from myself on this car is £300. If you're in Hull then not too far way.

You can have mild, progressive, aggressive, or anything in the middle - you can try and see what you like :)

Rick

Had Stage 1 SHARK and REVO.
Both gave me the wow factor.

The SHARK STS Box gives you the same flexibility as Bluefin in terms of DIY uploading and map switching when you need to go back to stock.
On that basis and the fact the SHARK product was waay cheaper than REVO I went for SHARK last time around.
I only ever went as far as Stage 1 so cant comment after that.

Its very possible that your clutch may start to slip soon if not right after having it mapped. Its not THAT common on Stage 1 cars but it does happen. I happened to me after just 10K miles.

Personally I think SHARK are hard to ignore at the minute, price, service and product are bang on.

Reactions: Dave-S3
A map from myself on this car is £300. If you're in Hull then not too far way.

You can have mild, progressive, aggressive, or anything in the middle - you can try and see what you like :)

Rick
and get launch control and flat shift?? :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:
would love those options :D

if i was closer i would get whole unicorn package. sounds great!!

what best remap to get for s3 8p - been reading stage 2s **** up the clutch easily and heard about fueling problems although revob website claims new fuel pump is needed at stage 2+ - also what is stage 1+ as this is not mentioned on revos website but ive heard about it on here.

Hi Tom

I have recently had the Revo stage 2+ upgrade and WOW it is awesome but did cost a pretty penny with all the extras that are required. I haven't had any experience with the other tuners but I can't fault Revo one bit. I am now looking into the stage 3 map! I have seen massive gains with the stage 2+ map! it has brought my 0-60 time down to 4.2Seconds and my 1/4 mile was sub 13Seconds with a huge head wind so I am very happy with that.
With the stage 2+ an uprated fuel pump is required and I would also suggest an uprated intercooler to get the most out of the map although it is an expensive fit!!!
Good luck with your search
Adz

Hi Tom

I have recently had the Revo stage 2+ upgrade and WOW it is awesome but did cost a pretty penny with all the extras that are required. I haven't had any experience with the other tuners but I can't fault Revo one bit. I am now looking into the stage 3 map! I have seen massive gains with the stage 2+ map! it has brought my 0-60 time down to 4.2Seconds and my 1/4 mile was sub 13Seconds with a huge head wind so I am very happy with that.
With the stage 2+ an uprated fuel pump is required and I would also suggest an uprated intercooler to get the most out of the map although it is an expensive fit!!!
Good luck with your search
Adz

Stg3 is a big turbo build as you may already know,and offers a lot more power and torque than Stg2+,but also requires a LOT more to be done.

As well as the turbo kit,you need uprated brakes and suspension,and once you're above 440lbs,something a lot stronger than most of the usual clutch options.
If you're considering it,have a trawl through my build thread,and as many others as you can.

Reactions: Adz85
Stg3 is a big turbo build as you may already know,and offers a lot more power and torque than Stg2+,but also requires a LOT more to be done.

As well as the turbo kit,you need uprated brakes and suspension,and once you're above 440lbs,something a lot stronger than most of the usual clutch options.
If you're considering it,have a trawl through my build thread,and as many others as you can.

I am considering going to stage 3 in the future, I am already doing some research into it. My car has the S-Tronic box and I was wondering what it can put up with? I know they are reasonably strong but don't know if it needs upgraded clutch plates etc?

I am considering going to stage 3 in the future, I am already doing some research into it. My car has the S-Tronic box and I was wondering what it can put up with? I know they are reasonably strong but don't know if it needs upgraded clutch plates etc?

Up to around 440lbs,the DSG clutch is OK,but above that,will need a rebuild,and either SSP,or HPA can supply these,but neither are cheap options.

In all,for a decent Stg3(i.e. big turbo build) you're looking at around £4-6k for the kit(more if you select the APR kit,but that does include everything,and is a direct fit,where some of the others,such as mine,are not so easy),and then a good bit more for other parts and labour.

You also need the brakes and suspension sorted,so in all, you'd be looking at the thick end of £10k for everything,and maybe more if you want to go beyond 440bhp and 440lbs,as you then need at least a bottom end rebuild.

My thread should help give you an idea of costs and so on,and Decked's is a good one for the APR kit.

Up to around 440lbs,the DSG clutch is OK,but above that,will need a rebuild,and either SSP,or HPA can supply these,but neither are cheap options.

In all,for a decent Stg3(i.e. big turbo build) you're looking at around £4-6k for the kit(more if you select the APR kit,but that does include everything,and is a direct fit,where some of the others,such as mine,are not so easy),and then a good bit more for other parts and labour.

You also need the brakes and suspension sorted,so in all, you'd be looking at the thick end of £10k for everything,and maybe more if you want to go beyond 440bhp and 440lbs,as you then need at least a bottom end rebuild.

My thread should help give you an idea of costs and so on,and Decked's is a good one for the APR kit.

Cheers Alex, sounds like a lot of cash for 50-60 bhp. If I do the next stage I would want to be looking at 500-550 bhp. I obviously understand that uprated brakes is a must but why the suspension? My suspension feels very useable.

Cheers Alex, sounds like a lot of cash for 50-60 bhp. If I do the next stage I would want to be looking at 500-550 bhp. I obviously understand that uprated brakes is a must but why the suspension? My suspension feels very useable.

I think that you need to work out what the final aim is,and then the costs become a little more reasonable....(LOL).

If you go to around 500bhp,you're looking at the sort of spend I mentioned before,and when it comes to suspension,remember that you're looking at feeding up to twice the original bhp through what may feel adequate now,but certainly won't when challenged with that sort of load.

Honestly,I do mean that,as you'd end up with a car that feels as if it's trying to tie itself in knots every time you tap on the power.

550bhp is around the limits of safety and reliability,unless you put a lot of work and money into it,and above that,you exceed the fuelling limits of an uprated HPFP,and start to get into extra injectors and offboard ECUs.

Mine already has the bottom end rebuild,and among the next steps are a revised inlet manifold,head work and new valves,and a few other bits.

I would also say that WMI is an essential for a big turbo build.

Reactions: Adz85
50-60bhp over stage 2+ would cost you hybrid turbo, rs4 injectors, ic and remap. above that you're looking at serious $$.

I'm looking for some clarification on a map. I must have read it wrong somewhere I was under the impression that you need a CAI & HPFP change for a stage 1. I know that's not right now. However I've seen some claims of around 19hp from a CAI has anybody gone for a Stage 1 map and had a CAI too? If so what sort of power did you see?

I'd prefer a more progressive map so I've dropped Shark a message.

Stage 1 can be put on an otherwise standard car. I've got a neuspeed cai on with a shark stage 1 and can't say it made much difference other than the noise (which is what I was looking for).

Only really went with the shark for the sts option but have been very happy with it other than they are a bit difficult to get hold of aftersales wise as I want the race map (to remove the brake throttle override) and so far several emails later I haven't heard anything although they were very quick the first time round. Bit irritating but other than that seems a decent enough product.

Awesome thanks mate, I may have to give them a ring then! Have you had an RR figure since the map?

Nope, haven't stumbled across a 4wd rr and i'm not going out my way to find one either, if I get the oppertunity to run it I will but not something i'm overly bothered about. People get too hung up on dyno figures imo, it's more about how it drives.