What petrol/diesel type (brand) and RON do you normally put in your A3s?

KXL

Reaction score
So thus far (after 3 months and 2000 miles), I've put Shell and Texaco 95RON having used both E5 and E10. E10 fuel has given me marginally worse mpg. This however could be due the car engine now broken in, and in theory be more economical but offset by E10 poorer economy. Or switchover to winter fuel blend.
I've just topped up half the tank with Momentum 99 E5 (had some clubcard 5 pound off, so why not). Doubt it would make a difference. Car is a 30 TFSI MHEV.
What do the rest of you usually put into your tanks?

Mostly on Tesco/Morrison 95RON E10.
Last refill was Tesco 99RON but didn't get any better MPG than other fill ups. It could be due to colder weather/winter blend/whatever. Because I ran it on Tesco 99RON for couple of months in summer and had almost 10%-15% better mpg than 95RON E5.
Also the unleaded price seemed to have gone through the roof in our area - 142p for 95 and almost 150p for 99!! Almost had an heart attack when filling it up!!!

Also the unleaded price seemed to have gone through the roof in our area - 142p for 95 and almost 150p for 99!! Almost had an heart attack when filling it up!!!
It was 146p for Momentum 99 where I filled (Gallion's reach Tesco, near City Airport) yday, after £5 voucher, was more like 127p :)

Reactions: DreamInCode
Funnily enough E10 fuel came in around the same time the days were getting shorter and the temperatures cooler. So it remains to be seen whether there is much of a mpg penalty. Can't say there's been much of a difference with our 1.0 fiesta and it is still averaging 38.8 urban...

Reactions: AdamInKent and DreamInCode
Mostly on Tesco/Morrison 95RON E10.
Last refill was Tesco 99RON but didn't get any better MPG than other fill ups. It could be due to colder weather/winter blend/whatever. Because I ran it on Tesco 99RON for couple of months in summer and had almost 10%-15% better mpg than 95RON E5.
My tank now consists of 1/2 E10 Ron95 Texaco petrol and 1/2 E5 Ron99 Momentum, so lets say it probably is now E7.5 97 Ron blend. Usual Sunday 830am trip from East to West London, would get me 53-54 mpg on 95 RON E10 petrol. However on 'E7.5 97RON fuel' it got me this on a city run 20-30mph! Ok, there was hardly any traffic, but still were traffic lights/pedestrians (joggers)!
IMG 20211024 092639 resized 20211024 041147818

My tank now consists of 1/2 E10 Ron95 Texaco petrol and 1/2 E5 Ron99 Momentum, so lets say it probably is now E7.5 97 Ron blend. Usual Sunday 830am trip from East to West London, would get me 53-54 mpg on 95 RON E10 petrol. However on 'E7.5 97RON fuel' it got me this on a city run 20-30mph! Ok, there was hardly any traffic, but still were traffic lights/pedestrians (joggers)!
View attachment 244840
How the hell are you getting that MPG? Is this motorway driving? I barely make 40MPG on motorways, city driving I get about 25MPG, we have the same engine as well. Is yours S Tronic?

How the hell are you getting that MPG? Is this motorway driving? I barely make 40MPG on motorways, city driving I get about 25MPG, we have the same engine as well. Is yours S Tronic?
Mine is 30 TFSI MHEV, yes S tronic. This paricular one is city driving on a early Sun AM (with E10 fuel 'only' 52-53mpg). Motorways from London to Edinburgh, I did 54mpg with 4 adults (2 of which were big sized) and luggage (cruise control set on 72-76mph), so if it's me alone, maybe I could hit closer to 60mpg. The lowest I ever got in the city (London rush hour or medium traffic) was still around the 40mpg mark. Maybe city driving style? Me tyipcally I would drive and the car would change up at 2-2.5k rpms, then if I see the traffic light turn red ahead, i lift off, and engine goes off, and I don't loose much speed at all, so it wouldn't inconvenince. It's not uncommon for the car to roll with engine off for 10-20 secs, while the mpg increases! I'm going to be doing a 4 mile city (rush hour) journey in a bit, should be able to still get over 40mpg.

Still managed 43mpg 20-30 mph roads medium traffic over 3 miles. So yea its possible...

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_192950.jpg
    IMG_20211026_192950.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Still managed 43mpg 20-30 mph roads medium traffic over 3 miles. So yea its possible...
What drive mode are you in? I'm really gonna have to go out driving and playing around with the car to see if I can match you. To be fair, I do floor it at every set of lights, but I can't imagine that having a 50% impact in figures :tearsofjoy:

What drive mode are you in? I'm really gonna have to go out driving and playing around with the car to see if I can match you. To be fair, I do floor it at every set of lights, but I can't imagine that having a 50% impact in figures :tearsofjoy:
I've never touched my drive mode usually. So it's on Auto. When I did press it I only noticed in comfort the steering is lighter and dynamic is heavier. I sometimes take a trip from east London to Romford area, so just shy of 20 miles return. So almost all 40-50mph all the way. When engine was new couldn't floor it, so I got 65mpg. It was 70mpg at one point. Now the engine has losened up and I can floor it at the lights, 0-50mph drag. I did it at 3 lights. The overall mpg was still just over 60mpg. So I guess each traffic light flooring cost me 1-2mpg. What petrol brand do u use though? And how miles on engine?

How the hell are you getting that MPG?
Either that or your S-line body kit (combined with 18inch rims) are less economical? Checked tyre pressures recently? But surely those factors cannot be THAT much worse. Mine are 17s on Pirelli P7 C2 @ 36psi all around (at least it was 1 month ago, might have dropped a bit since). Try your normal drives without flooring it once and lifting off when you approach the (red) lights when you can see? You may be amazed at the increase in Mpg.

Over the weekend drove from Maidenhead to Milton Keynes, both M25 and M1 was very busy but could drive pretty much consistently at 60MPH with frequent auto coasting.
Managed to achieve 60MPG :sign wow: but after driving through Milton Keynes's one million roundabouts a bit enthusiastically it dropped to 40MPG :laugh:.

Either that or your S-line body kit (combined with 18inch rims) are less economical? Checked tyre pressures recently? But surely those factors cannot be THAT much worse. Mine are 17s on Pirelli P7 C2 @ 36psi all around (at least it was 1 month ago, might have dropped a bit since). Try your normal drives without flooring it once and lifting off when you approach the (red) lights when you can see? You may be amazed at the increase in Mpg.
Gonna have to take a look at all this, currently bed bound with a nasty flu so not much I can do atm :sadlike: I use standard Tesco petrol (E10?)

Gonna have to take a look at all this, currently bed bound with a nasty flu so not much I can do atm :sadlike: I use standard Tesco petrol (E10?)
Oh, do get well soon! Was advised by Seat dealer (back in 2014 when I had the Leon 2.0TDI) try not to use supermarket fuel where possible. So I only had 1 experience (emergency) to use supermarket fuel (standard one), and my usual trips were 2-3 mpg down. Upping it to the most expensive fuels (Shell Vpower/Esso Supreme type) I got 2-3 mpg more (in this 30 TFSI and Seat Ibiza 1.0EcoTSI) this was 4-5 mpg more like for like over the branded Ron 95 petrol. Between the other branded 95 RON fuels (Shell, Esso, BP, Texaco, Jet, Gulf) I didn't notice ANY difference at all between them. A full tank (at click) on my A3 has shown 510-520 miles range remaining. Long term mpg before it reset on its own, after just shy of 1700 miles and 64hrs of driving, was bang on 50mpg over mix of city, A-roads, motorway etc. I posted this on the mpg thread. I guess you will have this fun to look forward to when you are up and about again which is hopefully really soon!

Oh, do get well soon! Was advised by Seat dealer (back in 2014 when I had the Leon 2.0TDI) try not to use supermarket fuel where possible. So I only had 1 experience (emergency) to use supermarket fuel (standard one), and my usual trips were 2-3 mpg down. Upping it to the most expensive fuels (Shell Vpower/Esso Supreme type) I got 2-3 mpg more (in this 30 TFSI and Seat Ibiza 1.0EcoTSI) this was 4-5 mpg more like for like over the branded Ron 95 petrol. Between the other branded 95 RON fuels (Shell, Esso, BP, Texaco, Jet, Gulf) I didn't notice ANY difference at all between them. A full tank (at click) on my A3 has shown 510-520 miles range remaining. Long term mpg before it reset on its own, after just shy of 1700 miles and 64hrs of driving, was bang on 50mpg over mix of city, A-roads, motorway etc. I posted this on the mpg thread. I guess you will have this fun to look forward to when you are up and about again which is hopefully really soon!
Cheers, definitely on the mend today! I'll play around this weekend and see what I get. I do like to use BP and Shell where possible but the Tesco garage is 2 roads away from my house so it's always just too convenient :tearsofjoy:

IMG 20211030 134242

Just for laughs got this for 1-2 mins only, then down to a more realistic 48mpg overall for the 5 mile trip

Just for laughs got this for 1-2 mins only, then down to a more realistic 48mpg overall for the 5 mile trip

Finally had a chance to play around with the car and I've finally worked out what the problem was, the air con! I have my climate control set to low all the time with the air con on, as a result the stop/start system wouldn't work as the engine needed to stay on for the air conditioning. I turned off the climate control all together whilst trying to drive a bit more carefully and it skyrocketed to nearly 50MPG in a 15 minute drive :racer:

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to play around with the car and I've finally worked out what the problem was, the air con! I have my climate control set to low all the time with the air con on, as a result the stop/start system wouldn't work as the engine needed to stay on for the air conditioning. I turned off the climate control all together whilst trying to drive a bit more carefully and it skyrocketed to nearly 50MPG in a 15 minute drive :racer:
Eh aircon when outside temps are dropping fast and holding around the 10 degree mark? So now when you lift off without anyother vehicle in front of you the engine goes off?

Eh aircon when outside temps are dropping fast and holding around the 10 degree mark? So now when you lift off without anyother vehicle in front of you the engine goes off?
I get hot easily :tearsofjoy:
It does yeah and more when I come to a complete stop, it didn't do it much before.

I'm surprised that keeping AC on will make that much of a difference.

I keep the AC on 'ECO', temp at 20, Auto on and recirculation on Auto too. It stops the engine in pretty much every traffic light.

Reactions: chevy117
If you had it on auto shouldnt the start/stop still work?

View attachment 245077
I still dont know how you are getting these mpg figures. On my daily commute to work 20 miles, 15 are on a road I average 41-43. This is is driving in efficiency mode.

I still dont know how you are getting these mpg figures. On my daily commute to work 20 miles, 15 are on a road I average 41-43. This is is driving in efficiency mode.
Once I exited a petrol station (reset figures etc), and then the lights turned red about 25 meters or so ahead. So I lifted off, the car rolled (with engine off) for 10 secs onto the red lights, and it showed 300mpg average.
But seriously car would do very good mpg, if keeping steady Eddie or on cruise control and lifting off when lights turn red up ahead (engine goes off). I don't know how it does it, but when lifting off, and engine goes off, it doesn't lose speed quickly, so not to annoy others behind.
In city the other day, chocker block rush hour traffic plus roadworks for 10 plus miles etc... car did 38 mpg.

Did around Sheffield to London yday (200 miles), mostly 68-70mph, some stretches of 60 and some stretches of 50mph zones, then around London area entering A406-A12 Car did 61 mpg (Using E10 petrol). There's a Texaco by A406 around Tottenham Hale area (for those who are based in London) that did £1.41 petrol yday, so win win!.
There was a downhill section where the car was maintaining (how I don't know) 70mph on cruise control with the engine off for what felt like a 30-40 secs, and few occasions on the single lane country road I'm sure on the downhill the engine was off for more than 40 secs in one go!

Wait there's an efficiency mode (maybe not for 30TFSI)? Recalled there was only auto, dynamic, comfort and individual, but I could be wrong.
IMG 20211107 215241 resized 20211108 093026633
IMG 20211107 215228 resized 20211108 093026833

I'm surprised that keeping AC on will make that much of a difference.

I keep the AC on 'ECO', temp at 20, Auto on and recirculation on Auto too. It stops the engine in pretty much every traffic light.
If Ludos has the temperature set to LOW, then that forces the aircon compressor to run continuously, which reduces the car’s opportunity to switch off the engine.

With the temperature at 20 the compressor will only run if the cabin temp is higher than 20 or it’s too humid; and I have a feeling that ECO will cause the car to prioritise economy over cabin temperature (allowing the engine to stop more often).