What on earth is this (and how do i remove it?)[pics]

maxp

Reaction score
The item pictured was already installed when I got the car.

It looks like a bracket to hold something, bit it is *seriously* strong. Its made of steel and its bolted on really deeply (see pic#3). Does anyone know what it is?

My next question is, does anyone know how i am going to remove it? I cant even see the fixing bolts after removing the trim panel, does this mean the carpet has to come out?

Cheers.

DT2UK.jpg
15BoH.jpg
pU0pw.jpg

Look kinda the same as something i had fitted to an old BMW 325i years ago, its an anti theft device were if you put car into gear(usually reverse) another part would hold it there locked. removing is gonna be hell on earth cos the bolts wont have heads to remove, you'd need get underneath it and grind the round head away to get it out, if its what I think it is:blush:

what a random peice of metal?? no clues as to what it could of been used for. Carpet will have to come up for sure though.

I was going to say it looks like a bracket to hold a phone cradle or something but that piece of metal could tow a car lol

its a anti theft device. as evil stated its to hold the car in gear and you lock it into place. My import scoob had one and it was a mare to remove. good idea but what an eye sore to the car!

its a anti theft device. as evil stated its to hold the car in gear and you lock it into place. My import scoob had one and it was a mare to remove. good idea but what an eye sore to the car!
An eye sore it is! Can you remember how you removed it? Was it a carpet out jobbie? Please tell me its not bolted to the underside of the car.

My BMW one was bolted to underneath the car mate, and wasn't bolts that a spanner could be used on, we had to use an angle grinder to cut it out:banghead:

i got a grinder to it mate. there will be bolts underneath the car. i could not get to them as there was no room to get a Grinder in. Interior out and i grinded it off that way. Long . com!

****** hell.....overkill for an anti theft device.

What a horrid thing!.

Thanks mate, that link is very helpful indeed.

In order to remove the bolts from the transmission tunnel, is that gonna be a stripping the carpet job or actually getting underneath the car?

Not sure if this may be one for a professional garage or not.

Could you not just cut it off so it sits below the centre console??? seems this would be the easiest option...

i think grinding the bolt from underneath is the easiest option,dont think you would be able to cut the thick bracket this will be hardend steel(wouldnt be much of a deterrrent if you could easily remove it ),you may want to remove the carpet as the bolts will get hot when you grind off the shear bolts from underneath