What Oil?

MikeParkin

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Doing my own service this time round and got my eyes on some oils.

Wondering what oil you guys are using modded or not.

I got a bottle of Castro’s edge with the car for top ups. In the past I’ve always used edge or shell helix ultra both vag approved.

Reactions: MikeParkin
2nd that I use 5w 40 nanodrive. Worked very well on autobahn at some very high speed and oil stayed cool. Got mine from opie oil

Castrol Edge TI 5W-30 LL

May I ask why you guys are using 5W-40 oil with higher viscosity? (I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious to hear if there is a specific reason).

I'm using the Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30LL. It's what Audi gave me as top-up and they used it for the oil change. From what I can tell (which isn't really very scientific) the oil appears in good condition right up until the change is due when I check the oil and inspect the dip stick. It gets pretty dirty (which shows it is dispersing the muck) but shows no sign of breaking down. I come from classic cars where oil inspection usually involves a sniff of the oil on the dipstick, this gives more information about the health of the engine and the life expectancy of the oil. Castrol smells good!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lehn
Quantum Longlife 3 5w-30, it's what TPS supply and probably what Audi use in their dealerships despite plugging Castrol. Its also cheaper than Castrol

Millers Nanodrive CFS NT+ It is ordered 6 ltrs £68.

It's helps keep operating temps down, a lot of 7R owners are using it and rate it well.

Reactions: MaxBoostMRC and Boydie
I asked this same question just after I joined and was given the link by one person to the very long frequently asked questions thread to find the answer myself. :(
I did remark that it would have been easier to simply tell me.
Maybe he was having a bad day....I don't know. :D
Anyway the answer is 5W-30 and must be to VW spec (507 i believe) as stated in the handbook.

Castrol Edge TI 5W-30 LL

May I ask why you guys are using 5W-40 oil with higher viscosity? (I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious to hear if there is a specific reason).
I am using it as I believe that it needs to be a little thicker on tuned engines so the oil is not pushed out so easy from the main bearing as they are getting more pressure exerted on them.
That’s just my own take on it.

I'm using the Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30LL. It's what Audi gave me as top-up and they used it for the oil change. From what I can tell (which isn't really very scientific) the oil appears in good condition right up until the change is due when I check the oil and inspect the dip stick. It gets pretty dirty (which shows it is dispersing the muck) but shows no sign of breaking down. I come from classic cars where oil inspection usually involves a sniff of the oil on the dipstick, this gives more information about the health of the engine and the life expectancy of the oil. Castrol smells good!

Never heard this before, but what sort of smell is good, and what is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard this before, but what sort of smell is good, and what is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is back in the days of old engines and non-synthetic oils but still has some use. A burnt smell to the oil suggests the engine is overheating or the oil is not circulating properly. A sickly sweet smell to the oil (often accompanied by a cheesy substance on the oil filler cap) suggest coolant is getting into the oil (ethylene glycol antifreeze) which could be a failed head gasket. Just the cheesy substance suggests the engine breathing isn't working. If the oil smells of petrol it could be that the engine is being seriously over-fuelled (carburettor problem) or with more modern cars a leaking injector but it could also be a very worn cylinder bore. Really, really old fashioned oil could be partly vegetable based (castor oil) and could go rancid. Oil in good condition smells very similar to when it was new. Used oil usually has faint whiff of petrol but that is normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlS3BE and Lehn