What Oil?

Pete20vt

Supermoto Junkie
Reaction score
Just tried to book my car in for an oil change (not Audi) and was told they don't stock the correct oil, i'm guessing thats because Audi use long life oil? I'd rather do regular changes with a regular oil but what should i stick in there, 5W30 fully synthetic?

Also how much will i need, 4L?

Last edited:
I think to an extent its mileage dependant.
I personaly would never use long life.
I now use fully synthetic 10/40w
I used to use a thicker race oil but... dont drive as hard anymore.
I think my last change was just over 4L ( just enough to have to buy a second tub !
Try the oil audi use. quantum platinum i think it is.
Cheap enough too to be fair.

Apparently Quantum is the one to use...pretty cheap too.

i use 5W30 fully synthetic, with a Fram filter. i change the oil every 3-4K miles

Audi Soton told me last week the correct oil for my 1999 S3 210 is 5W30 fully synthetic. Currently using semi synth 10W40.

I ended up buying EXOL optima LSV 5w/30 fully synth oil that says it meets VW 504 and 507 spec. Ebay was £100 for 25 litres. Will work for my S3 and diesel A4! I think the 504 spec is the standard for a petrol engine and 507 is for a diesel but i am not 100% sure.

Im sure I saw it on another thread recently for about £18 for 5litres of Quantum

I bought castrol edge 5w 30 earlier today, its only 4l though. Will I need to buy another 1 litre bottle?

Im sure I saw it on another thread recently for about £18 for 5litres of Quantum

yeh that was me nilz i got it from TPS for around that. cant remember the actual price now. car runs ultra smooth now and got rid of my tickety noise i had.

Quantum 5W30 it is then. I take it the avarage Joe cant use TPS then? Ebay have 5L for £34 delivered, that will do.

Last edited:
Bit of an oldish thread but just wondering, can you use any 5w40 oil?

I ask, and this may sound random, but I get trade discount with Vauxhall so can get their oil very cheap so just wondered if that would be fine to use, my thoughts are yes as oil is oil??

I'm looking at getting an A4 Tdi 130 next month and its likely the one I get will have been on long life servicing and high mileage due to my budget and I want to change it as I don't do massive mileage per year so will be looking to change oil fairly often, used to changing my oil twice a year with my current 2.0 turbo petrol.