What my car worth?

I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
Guys (and Girls),

As the title says really.

2008 1.8t FSI S-Line
57 Reg - Delivered new in Feb 2008
11,200 miles - only driven at weekends really!
FASH - 2nd service 3 months ago.

Factory Options:
Phantom Black Pearlescent
i-Pod Dock
Storage Pack
Bose
Front Centre Armrest

Mods:
Aluminium Pedals
Overhead light pack - Ambient LED's + Map Lights
Eibach Pro Springs (still have original springs if required) supplied and fitted by AmD
12mm H&R Rear Spacers
Boot liner
Pressed Metal Plates

Thanks.
Ron

Maybe. Got a nipper due and picked up a car seat and associated paraphanalia today. The missus now wants something bigger!

ah right, nice one - what's next S4? ; )

You might want to hurry if you do want to sell - not many buyers in the new year after xmas, plus it sounds like its still under dealer warranty which'll help a sale.

My two cents worth big ron. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Will probably wait until the new year before making a decision tbh.

Just wondered if anyone on here had bought or sold similar recently.

My guess is £10k... maybe a little more if you remove the add ons.

Ha £10k no chance. On a serious note I don't really see many 1.8T S-line's for sale.
But I'd say £15k from ones I've seen on autotrader. Have a look how much they are going for on audi approved, autotrader etc. If you do sell Ron good luck

Sorry folks, I stand by my £10k...

Original Price
£21,895 Franchised Dealer£13,475 Independent Dealer£13,095 Private Good £12,460 Private Poor £10,500 Part Exchange£11,695

The value of a modded car is usually likely to be less that standard. I would ask £12k, you may get close to 11k if you are lucky. Sorry!!

£10K!So according to your scale it's in poor condition. Thanks. It's ****** immaculate and the low mileage is surely an advantage.

TBH I would say the mods probably don't add value but I would also say they don't subtract any either. Springs aside all are subtle cosmetic additions that would hopefully give my car the edge over a standard one.

£15k is a much nicer number.

Glass's Guide:

Audi A3 S Line
1.8 Petrol 3-door Hatchback
6 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2008 57
Mileage: 12,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £13600
Average condition: £12100
Below average condition: £10750

Vauxhall website > Offers and Finance > Value my Car

Between 14 and 15k from an Audi dealer.

Absolutely no way would an Audi Dealer pay £14-15k Unless they are selling an orphan car at full list price. Take a look at CAP and Glasses Guide.

Also this link.

Audi A3 1.8 T FSI S-Line 160PS

If an Audi Dealer is asking £14950 you can bet they paid no more than £11-12k a few months ago. Christmas is coming and 2011, and the car is non standard which will make many folks run a mile.

Last edited:
November Cap Valuation [Audi Dealers Use this]:

Doesn't take into account any factory extras

Good condition - £12650
Average - £12000
Poor - £11350

Last edited:
Hi Munnzz

The CAP and Glasses I look at expect Metallic and Bose. I can go along with a £12000 (not £1200!!!!) for and average condition (Armrest and storage pack may be desirable but worthless on PX and only about £150 new! I would shade down the true value to between £10-£11k because of Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

Absolutely no way would an Audi Dealer pay £14-15k Unless they are selling an orphan car at full list price. Take a look at CAP and Glasses Guide.

Also this link.

Audi A3 1.8 T FSI S-Line 160PS

If an Audi Dealer is asking £14950 you can bet they paid no more than £11-12k a few months ago. Christmas is coming and 2011, and the car is non standard which will make many folks run a mile.

Sorry, I meant to buy from an Audi dealer.

Thought that might be the case. I would guess the dealer would take circa £13k with no PX which leads me to think the standard (with extras) one shown at the dealer is probably worth £10-11K. Try We Buy any car dot com... Dealer asking price £10995... their bid £7240 ... Retail and Trade values are wildly different and represent the true value. Dealers need to cover overheads, warranty costs etc etc and a fat profit, they are in business to make money!!

There are a couple on the Audi site for nearly £18k with 20k miles but they are S-Tronic. Take a £1k (approx) off for that and that makes them around the £16.5k mark. Yours is low mileage, but you need to put it back to standard for the most money. Private sale should see £15k, £12.5k for a trade in but that would depend on what you were buying and the deal being made.

Glasses is a GUIDE and is based on standard cars in the main so should be taken with a pinch of salt. A3 Sportback sales are strong at the moment due to the high waiting lists on new...

£10k!! lol It's two years old, has hardly any miles and is still in warranty, they're not Ford Mondeos!!

Webuyanycar.com is a route for desperate people wanting to rid of their car and are willing to take a big hit to get shut. They're generally prices around or below auction.

Standard is best for resale/px as the "mods" don't add value and are not attractive.

Ron!!! Been a while chief!.

I've seen your car and assuming you havne't ditched it in the last few months, then it's a mint one. I'd remove the spacers and springs and sell it as an orginal spec car, then you should be looking at around 12k I reckon, stick it up for just under 13K if you're not in a rush. Don't listen to people quoting Glasses guides and twoddle like that. Car prices are dictated by the market and nothing else, it's worth what people are currently willing to pay.

Good luck if you do look to sell, and congratulations on inpending fatherhood!

Nick

Cheers Nick.

M3 on order then? Nice - especially in that frozen grey finish they do. Am hoping to bag myself a tidy B7 RS4 Avant but may have to wait a few months for the right one to come along.

Rons car is actually 3! Have just bought a Golf for a relative 2007/57 Tdi Golf MAtch...right colour 36k miles, 2 year VW Warranty .. Dealers asking 10995 for similar.. paid £7500 and someone made a profit.. so I am inclined to agree with fforeggub.

Rons car is actually 3! Have just bought a Golf for a relative 2007/57 Tdi Golf MAtch...right colour 36k miles, 2 year VW Warranty .. Dealers asking 10995 for similar.. paid £7500 and someone made a profit.. so I am inclined to agree with fforeggub.

Not really a valid comparison though as the Golf Mk6 came out Feb 2009 so you effectively bought a superseded model and the Match was a run out model. The A3 is still current and new ones are on long waiting lists so second hand cars just aren't about in big numbers like the Golf.

Not really a valid comparison though as the Golf Mk6 came out Feb 2009 so you effectively bought a superseded model and the Match was a run out model. The A3 is still current and new ones are on long waiting lists so second hand cars just aren't about in big numbers like the Golf.

Sorry Scott I disagree....VW are facing similar delivery issues to Audi. The 8P Ron is asking about is a pre face lift 57 Reg, superceded in Mid 2008 so yes I think it is a fair comparison. Golf /A3 generally have a 3-4k mark up between trade and retail at 3 yrs old. Whilst the A3 is in my opinion a far better/nicer car than the Golf they are far from Rare!!! The MAtch came out in Autumn 2006 and ran for nearly 3 years, hardly a 'run out model'. The SE was replaced by the MAtch and incorporated many extra goodies, rear air vents, sportier seats, iPod connectivity, MFSW etc etc

Sorry Scott I disagree....VW are facing similar delivery issues to Audi. The 8P Ron is asking about is a pre face lift 57 Reg, superceded in Mid 2008 so yes I think it is a fair comparison. Golf /A3 generally have a 3-4k mark up between trade and retail at 3 yrs old. Whilst the A3 is in my opinion a far better/nicer car than the Golf they are far from Rare!!! The MAtch came out in Autumn 2006 and ran for nearly 3 years, hardly a 'run out model'. The SE was replaced by the MAtch and incorporated many extra goodies, rear air vents, sportier seats, iPod connectivity, MFSW etc etc

The model he has is rare and they didn't do the Golf with that engine so that has to be in his favour... :sm4:

Golf is a cheap A3 though? so not a straight comparison. Just look on autotrader for a proper value, the A3 doesn't have a reputation for retaining highest %age value for nothing.

The model he has is rare and they didn't do the Golf with that engine so that has to be in his favour... :sm4:

I am only using the Golf example to illustrate a point. What dealers ask for a car is often thousands more than it is worth! They are in business after all. For a premium sector car such as Audi the profits are likely to be higher than for VW and £3-4 k difference between Trade and Retail is not unusual on a £10-15k car. Ron's car may be rare but not that rare, many people prefer to buy a 2.0T rather than the 1.8T so don't kid yourselves that 'rareity' means higher value, it doesn't in this case. A clean 2008/57 will be put up for sale by an Audi dealer at between £14500-14995. The Trade value is likely to be about 11,500. Ron's is not standard and a dealer would probably not be interested or shade down the value to I reckon 10k maybe a little more. There are loads of cars out there!

Main reason we bought a Golf for our relative is that she is young and Golf Insurance is way cheaper than a similar Audi!

Last edited:
Golf is a cheap A3 though? so not a straight comparison. Just look on autotrader for a proper value, the A3 doesn't have a reputation for retaining highest %age value for nothing.

When I got my then 3 year old 2.0T A3 DSG Sportback last year I found the equivalent Golf to be 2k more expensive.

I am only using the Golf example to illustrate a point. What dealers ask for a car is often thousands more than it is worth! They are in business after all. For a premium sector car such as Audi the profits are likely to be higher than for VW and £3-4 k difference between Trade and Retail is not unusual on a £10-15k car. Ron's car may be rare but not that rare, many people prefer to buy a 2.0T rather than the 1.8T so don't kid yourselves that 'rareity' means higher value, it doesn't in this case. A clean 2008/57 will be put up for sale by an Audi dealer at between £14500-14995. The Trade value is likely to be about 11,500. Ron's is not standard and a dealer would probably not be interested or shade down the value to I reckon 10k maybe a little more. There are loads of cars out there!

Main reason we bought a Golf for our relative is that she is young and Golf Insurance is way cheaper than a similar Audi!

Since when was trade value less than private sale value!?

Since when was trade value less than private sale value!?
Trade Value is usually less than Private Sale. Many folks try to make a Private Sale to better the Trade offer the Garage (AKA The Trade) has made them.

Many people get mangled up in deals and cost to change etc.

New car Asking Price 15k Old Car PX offer 6k = 9k to change

PROBABLY Means New car is really worth 11k (Trade Value) Old car is probably worth 5k (Trade Value) so dealer over allows by 1k thus making Buyer happier.
2 options then 1. Quick refurb on px and dealer tries to sell for £8-9k or 2 the deal is underwritten by a Trader lower down the food chain who buys for £5k
Get it now folks? ;-)

A quick look on Audi UK's used car locator shows Sport's, SE's and S-Line's from about £16k to fiver short of £18k!

If I find a suitable replacement soon I think I'll advertise it at £15k and see what interest it drums up. After all if you don't ask, you don't get!

There are only 2 57 Plate 2008 1.8T A3 on Audi used at present 13,900 for a sport and 14,950 for an S Line. With Full Audi Used Warranty, 2 years free service etc etc. They would probably knock £1500 for cash.

There is even a 58 Plate Sport for 13990... £13,990
clearpixel.gif

clearpixel.gif
Mileage: *12,588 milesRegistered:Sep 2008Transmission:ManualFuel:petrolRegistration:NJ58XJU

Good luck but I think you are flying your kite too high!!