What MPG do you get from your 1.8T?

golf

***** rent boy
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
jxl.co.uk
I know, I know, ANOTHER topic about fuel economy, but please bare with me.

Mine has been a heavy drinker since I bought it (as is my Golf). I put in exactly 20 litres of BP 99 Octane fuel the other day, and I've drove 80 miles and the light has just come on again. I do short journeys mostly, and this is mostly urban driving with lots of stopping, changing gears etc. Even then, 80 miles out of 20 litres is pretty abysmal. The car has been remapped, but that's about as far is it goes in terms of engine mods. I drive pretty sensibly on the most part, but every now and then I do put my foot down.

The display is reading 21.9 MPG average, but the real life figure is far worse. I didn't think a 1.8 engine would be so bad to be honest.

What is everyone else getting? Diesel owners steer clear of this thread, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

I recently worked mine out as 90 mile from £20 (22 litres approx) ron 95. That was just driving around the streets to work and back, mine is Quattro too.

Woot just worked that out and its about 18mpg.:(

50 quid and mixed conditions urban and town was 300 miles for me mines a 190 fwd

petewon said:
I recently worked mine out as 90 mile from £20 (22 litres approx) ron 95. That was just driving around the streets to work and back, mine is Quattro too.

Woot just worked that out and its about 18mpg.:(

mate thats shockingly low

300 miles from £50 is around 19 mpg too Jase.

is it ? never didnt realise lol knew i shud av bought an s4

jase0851 said:
mate thats shockingly low
It really is considering the performance :(. Im getting something new in the very near future anyways.:)

Actually my calculation was wrong Jase, it's more like 22-24mpg you'll be getting.

Still not very impressive compared to the manufacturer's quoted 35mpg.

£20 worth of VPower gets me 80 - 90 miles!!
Ive always thought my consumption was **** aswell..:think:

From what I've read elsewhere, the 1.8T is very thirsty from cold but does improve on longer runs.

So if you're doing lots of short journeys, expect a big fuel bill.

Our previous car was a Bora V5. OK, not a 1.8T but around town it averaged 23mpg on the DIS. Overall with longer journets we typically got a real 29-31mpg.

Yeah i agree thirsty on cold starts and short journeys but hey most cars are. Mine probably does around 90 on 20quids worth of fuel, Im always swapping from v-power to normal as theres not many shell petrol stations around so mileage does fluctuate. But like mentioned cant be touched on long hauls....

That is true, but I'm very rarely doing long journeys due to the unreliability of the damn thing. The last journey from Crawley to Clapham resulted in my brakes deciding to lock up, and the whole car seized up on the hard shoulder.

When I first bought the car, I managed to get from Darlington to Crawley on around £40 worth of fuel and the computer read 37 MPG average!

The thing is though, if I'm only managing to get 80 miles out of £20, I'm just going to get a much powerful car. BMW E39 M5 owners say they get around 15-20 mpg in town, so I'm very seriously considering one of those.

I dont mean to be rude or anything i do read some of your coments and think there very well indepth, but i live on the motto. if you look at the petrol you just simply cant afford to have that car. Or some A4 owners should cut back and the useless gadges they buy, thats just my opinion, i have an 18tQS and does fantastic but must admit i enjoy the drive, and just fill up when needed

zorro said:
I dont mean to be rude or anything i do read some of your coments and think there very well indepth, but i live on the motto. if you look at the petrol you just simply cant afford to have that car. Or some A4 owners should cut back and the useless gadges they buy, thats just my opinion, i have an 18tQS and does fantastic but must admit i enjoy the drive, and just fill up when needed
I think something to point out is that my MPGs are just over half what Audi quote. Although its a great car to drive I might not have bought it if I was aware it was going to return 18mpg.

I can afford to have the car... but like to moan about it too :)

yeah, i'm lucky if i get 300 miles to a tank and it cost me £58 to fill up last week :sadlike:

In all fairness though my car is faster than my mates 2.5 v6 mondeo st200 and his fuel consumption is almost as bad as mine. City living is no good for big engines, stop start stop start.......

300 miles for around £58 V power today, my average is around 23mpg mostly stop start round town and short 5 mile journeys to work, DIS always a bit optimistic shows around 1 mpg better, although on longer run average around 30mpg whilst not hanging about.

Always use V power and car has been mapped which may have improved mpg ever so slightly from standard.

zorro said:

I agree.

I don't do many town miles now but on the motorway and flowing A roads the DIS will easily show 31-33mpg. It's possible to see 38+ if you try or get stuck in slow traffic or long roadworks. I don't ever remember any run showing less than 24mpg on the DIS.

Good light traffic free motorway runs get 380-410 miles out of the tank. Don't forget the Quattro models have a smaller tank too.

I've never done a real calculation but understand the DIS to be about 10% optimistic.

I think for the performance given and power output the fuel consumption of my car is pretty damn good! :thumbsup:

zorro said:

I do fill up whenever's needed, that seems to be the problem here, because it's very regularly.

I'm sure every owner looks at how much petrol their car consumes, I don't mind paying out, but what I'm complaining about here is that 18mpg for 1.8 FWD car is a bit much considering the manufacturer's claims.

What are these useless 'gadges' by the way?

petewon said:
I think something to point out is that my MPGs are just over half what Audi quote. Although its a great car to drive I might not have bought it if I was aware it was going to return 18mpg.

I can afford to have the car... but like to moan about it too :)

well put pete my sentiments exactly

golf said:
Actually my calculation was wrong Jase, it's more like 22-24mpg you'll be getting.

Still not very impressive compared to the manufacturer's quoted 35mpg.

still a low figure though golf dont 2.7t s4,s return about this ?

Firstly, the manufacturer doesn't produce the MPG figures. Those come from the government and are a result of two test that are not any reflection on real life driving.

If you do mostly town driving you will never EVER get anywhere near the combined figure for your car.

Combined MPG figures for the 1.8T are as follows. All figures are for manuals

150 FWD 34mpg
150 Q 30mpg
163 FWD 34mpg
163 Q 30mpg
190 FWD 32mpg
190 Q 30mpg (Sline is 29mpg)

So if you're getting high teens or low 20s around town I think that's reasonable.

you all must be absolutely hammering these cars or there is something wrong with them,my old b5 1.8t(superchipped) never went below 28 mpg and regularly averaged 32 mpg.

Well, thats why I did not purchase a 190bhp B6 1.8 Avant Sport Quattro & went for the 180bhp 2.5TDi Avant Quattro sport instead - cos on paper the 1.8's MPG looked crap !
Admittedly the 2.5TDi ain't quite got the get up and go of the 1.8 turbo petrol and acceleration in 1st gear is dire, but its doing 34mpg on mixed town and motorway driving and between 38 to 42mpg on a long run.....cracking car ...oh yeah the old V6 diesel is heavy old lump.....but I am very happy with it...tons of torque make motorway driving a pleasure.....and great fuel economy....

I had an Octy vRS before - managed an easy 30mpg each and every day with no problems - I didn't used to hang around in that car.
The new 1.8T cabriolet I have is also returning 30mpg without any worries. Did a 100mile run yesterday to drop a friend back home and never dropped below 80mph and it returned 32.2mpg.
On a long run in my remapped Octy I could easily manage 37-38mpg and that would also be at 80-85 mph.

One of the best things I ever had done to improve MPG was to have the engine remapped.

Andy

Been to the Lake District today and display was showing average of 41MPG!!!!!!

Was a nice Sunday drive out though, even though there were load's of traffic!!

But mostly she'll do just over 400 miles on a full tank (£60)!

I just got 420miles out of a full tank of 99octane on a run up and round the Lakes in my 3.0v6. That's pretty good going for me, I usually get around a 100 less than that...

OK, maybe I should have reworded the original post.

Mine is pretty good on the motorway, I can manage around 35 mpg pretty comfortably, but in town it is terrible. I imagine most cars are pretty bad in stop start driving, but my mates S3 gets him 25mpg in town and he doesn't exactly treat it with respect!

I don't know, I was sat with him, and the long run average was reading at 25.1, even though he was giving it quite a hard time. The DIS is fairly innacurate though, so I suspect it was more like 21 or 22 mpg.

i recently did a trip to scotland and a few town runs here and there and did 390 miles on 50 quid dont know what mpg that is

I have a 1.8T A4 Cabriolet. I had a 1.8 (non-turbo) and a 2.0TDI before this. First off, lets forget the TDI because as you would expect I got about 50mpg.

I was told the 1.8T would be quite thirsty and it is but I generally get around 28-30MPG. On my run to Scotland I got 35mpg.

My old 1.8 non-turbo used to get around 30-35MPG so I suppose its not too bad but I had a hard time getting over TDI (especially since the performance of the TDI was very good - but I couldn't have diesel in a convertible).

Mark

This was yet another reason I went for my 3.0 Quattro Sport instead of a 1.8T, I do a mixed town & dual carriageway 25 mile trip to work and normally hit 28-29mpg, i've been doing a casual approach to the current tank of fuel by not accelerating hard in town and the DIS is reading 31.7mpg this morning!! Sometimes i'll cut back to 60mph on a cruise just to improve the average, I know it'll do 33-35mpg easily on a straight motorway cruise.

only problem is you pay the insurance premium for the 3.0!

Does the 3.0 have a higher "Co2" output figure vs. the 1.8T? It's a big issue for me now living in Richmond Borough as they're about to introduce that fracking awful "Variable Parking Permit Charges Based on Co2 output" - yes, so I'll pay more to park my 3.0 even though when it's parked it's emitting precisely ZERO Co2.......

Markae, im 31 with full NCB & I only paid £380 for a years fully comp with More Than in June so its not too much of a bother price wise, doubt it would be all that much less for a 1.8T.

Dan_b, yes the CO2 on a 3.0 is more, the standard saloon 163PS 1.8T 2wd puts out 197g/km & the 3.0 quattro saloon puts out 262g/km.

£380 is impressive Nickynibbles but it does depend what area you are in of course. For you - the difference may be marginal but elsewhere it could make a big difference.

Don't get me wrong though - I would love the 3.0! although the 1.8T is still 'adequately fiesty' and very refined.

Mark

I tend to get 33mpg on my 190bhp quattro 1.8T - driving it as I like (some hoofing) both urban and long runs.

Those getting really poor mpg's - see if your lambda sensor needs replacing...I gather this affects consumption.

A failing lambda will kill fuel consumption for sure - on my S2 when the lambda was on the way out MPG fell to about 16 (from 21)!

Failing lambda will cause the car to over-fuel and run rich basically...

markae said:
£380 is impressive Nickynibbles but it does depend what area you are in of course. For you - the difference may be marginal but elsewhere it could make a big difference.

Don't get me wrong though - I would love the 3.0! although the 1.8T is still 'adequately fiesty' and very refined.

Mark

I nearly fell off my chair when they ran the quote!! I was insured the year before with Audi Insurance which was bought out by Zurich at the end of 2006, their renewal was £600, about the same as last years premium! This was about the norm for other quotes too. Other handy thing with More Than is they take my full no-claims into consideration when I insured my other halfs car with them last month, she's only got 1 years no claims, but with me as a named driver she gets my discount on the premium but builds up her own no-claims allowance still.:) :) :)

Oh and back to the point, agree on the lambda sensor point too!