What MPG do you 2.0T boys get

marriedblonde

Reaction score
As the title asks what are you guys getting mpg wise from your 2.0T's?

I'm a little shocked that the S3 returns such poor figures, I would have expected early 30's...

Post em up chaps

And I know you don't buy an S3 for economy before anyone points out, I am just curious thats all ;)

J.

Picking mine up at the weekend.

I am hoping for low to mid 30's on my motorway journey from Essex to Hampshire once a week.

M

average on DIS is 28 for the life of the car, most journeys i get 26ish, when im driving enthusiastically it goes to about 22 and when im having an argument with the misses anything can happen...

Early thirties in a 2.0T is not going to happen, I have managed to get 38mpg driving back from blackpool on the M6, but that was doing 50ish mph in 6th for the entire journey behind some lorry!

I am in the process of swapping for an s3 and expect fuel consumption to be lower.

Anyone who returns 30+ from the 2.0T FSI engine should have brought the 140TDI (which is a great car):no:

Also, i have dSG in case that effects the efficiency of gearchange/fuel consumption

mrsteve said:
Early thirties in a 2.0T is not going to happen

That surprises me as I have read a lot of threads on this forum and felt that early 30s on a clear motoraway at 70/75 leptons would be acheiveable.
Certainly there are a number of people here that feel that shoul not be a problem.

High 20s on a motorway in an S3, so shouldn't the A3 2.0t Quattro get low 30s in comparison?

Anyway, I will let you know for sure next week!!

I know this is about the Audi 2.0T engine but am shocked at how poor its economy is. I can get early 30's mpg in an E46 M3 all day long on the motorway cruising at 80-85. It drops to 24-25 mpg in town tho. BMW do know how to put an engine together!

Cooky

john_cook said:
I know this is about the Audi 2.0T engine but am shocked at how poor its economy is. I can get early 30's mpg in an E46 M3 all day long on the motorway cruising at 80-85. It drops to 24-25 mpg in town tho. BMW do know how to put an engine together!

Cooky

I had an M3 convertible about 6 months ago, could never get more than late 20s.
Surprisingly before that I had a new Jag Super V8 (supercharged 4.2), easily get 35 on a motorway at a sensible speed.
Dropped to 12 in town though!!

SteveTDCi said:
tempted to come back ?

I was just a little shocked that people in the S3's where getting mpg wise. Just wondered if it was a case that the 2.olitre engine isn't very economical.

I get around 26-28mpg out of mine but I do rag it something stupid and spend a lot of time in traffic. Taking it easy I can get mid to high 30's out of it on a run - sticking around 80 on the motorway for example.

I have owned 20TQ and presently an S3, there is not really a massive difference in Mpg, in warmer months cruising on the motorway at 70-80Mph would see 34-36mpg in the 20TQ, S3 in the same conditions would see 30-32Mpg, have seen 34 on a good day.A good cross country blast does see mpg figures plummet though,but who cares, didn't buy it for the economy.
Do appear to be using far more fuel in the winter months though, must be the slower warm up Etc.

Mark

10 min journeys to and from work - 28-30 mpg
Longer (50 mile) runs - 36-38 mpg
Constant 70mph on M/way - 36 mpg
Constant 80mph on M/way - 34mpg

markwiggy said:
A good cross country blast does see mpg figures plummet though,but who cares, didn't buy it for the economy.

And thats why in my original post I said "And I know you don't buy an S3 for economy before anyone points out, I am just curious thats all" ;)

markwiggy said:
Do appear to be using far more fuel in the winter months though, must be the slower warm up Etc.

Surely cars are more econical in winter due to the denser, cold, air?

J.

Two of my mates have new S3`s and both return pretty much identical to me-22ish mpg over the life of the cars,the max they get on a run is normally 28ish if they are being gental and waiting for me lol:motz:

Now my car has around 18.000 km (~ 11.000 miles) and the average consumption is 9.7 L/100km (around 29 MPG i think).

Not bad :)

[/quote] married blonde .Surely cars are more econical in winter due to the denser, cold, air[/quote]

Not sure , thought it was the other way around. Mine definataly appears to using more and I don't think I am driving any differently. DIS is giving lower readings than it did in the summer, went to the Lake District for Xmas got 28-29mpg, in the summer that would have been 32-33mpg, 80mph on cruise control.
I know you get more power with colder air so assumed that would have meant more fuel ??????
Maybe some of the tuning guys could shed a little light on this ???

Mark

Everybody must have a heavier right foot than me, my dis tells me 24mpg on very short journeys to work (4, fast, miles). Crusing at 80 registers approx 30, best average up to lake district at around 80/85 saw 31 due to zero traffic.

I'm quite happy with 24mpg, my 2.0tdi only managed 37/38mpg on the same journey - small price to pay with my annual mileage and the grin factor provided.

Interestingly my Golf Mk5 GTI managed around 3 mpg more but am guessing this is down to quattro.

Next to nothing - coz i can't help sink the right foot all the time!!

Usually 26-27?

marriedblonde said:
Surely cars are more econical in winter due to the denser, cold, air?

I guess the extra fuel consumed during warm up is one cause. And also, if the air is denser, is more fuel not needed to keep the mixture correct?

I always seem to consume more fuel in winter

mfspen said:
10 min journeys to and from work - 28-30 mpg
Longer (50 mile) runs - 36-38 mpg
Constant 70mph on M/way - 36 mpg
Constant 80mph on M/way - 34mpg

Blimey, you must be lucky with your engine build. even if I'm being incredibly careful, I can't get over 30mpg at any speed above 65. My lifetime readout is 28.6. And that's on a remapped car (which incidently made no difference to consumption but had a big effect on my grin)

In my S3

Lifetime average so far (only after 1300 miles though) is 21.5mpg, To and from work I tend to get a trip average of ~20mpg, this is a combination of stop/start traffic and dual carriageway.

On a long run I get a trip average of 28mpg. I did reset the trip average once when I was on the motorway and for the duration of the motorway section it sat at 34mpg, but quickly dropped back to 28mpg when I left the motorway.

technogeek said:
Blimey, you must be lucky with your engine build. even if I'm being incredibly careful, I can't get over 30mpg at any speed above 65. My lifetime readout is 28.6. And that's on a remapped car (which incidently made no difference to consumption but had a big effect on my grin)

Scuse my ignoarance, when you say lifetime readout, is that lifetime average or lifetime best?

Cheers

M

i have a few friends with the quattro version and none of them including me with dsg have seen anywhere near those figures, including the stated figures from audi...:icon_thumright:

my old 140 TDI used to average 56mpg to the 2.0t's 26 for the same journey.

Over 34 months and 27ooo miles my wifes 2.0T Quattro Sportback has averaged just under 25mpg. High's motorway journies at just about legal speeds circa 28 mpg lows of 21/22. Been back to Audi several times and nothing wrong! Buying a 170Tdi Quattro and TT in March and hoping for better things!!

Cheers

technogeek said:
Is it a quattro ?
That normally knocks 3-4mpg off the figures.

Long run 29mpg around town 24-26mpg

Just done a 40mile round trip of blast, granny mode and 80 on a dual and got 26.2mpg on the DIS.

technogeek said:
I can't get over 30mpg at any speed above 65. My lifetime readout is 28.6. And that's on a remapped car (which incidently made no difference to consumption but had a big effect on my grin)

You should be able to get over 30 easy, mine used to do 34mpg at 80 mph on the motorway. Try 6th gear !! He ! He !

Seriously though It should do better than that, although the lifetime readout is not to bad.

Mark

Spin140 said:
Interestingly my Golf Mk5 GTI managed around 3 mpg more but am guessing this is down to quattro.

Could be weight as well, the mk5 GTI must be like a biscuit tin compared to the S3. I could easily get between 28/34 mpg around town and 38 on motorways and that was using RON 98.

Would go right down to about 22 if I was giving it some.

unkle said:
Could be weight as well, the mk5 GTI must be like a biscuit tin compared to the S3. I could easily get between 28/34 mpg around town and 38 on motorways and that was using RON 98.

Would go right down to about 22 if I was giving it some.

We used to get 35 average out of A3 FSi 2.0 Sport (53 Reg 150bhp FWD), wheras our 05 reg 2.0TFsi Quattro only averages 25!! (200bhp):icon_thumright: For bhp read PS!!

Our car has returned 24.5 mpg over its 14k life and I have never seen above 28-29mpg driving at 90 on the motorway. For some reason the gearing in 6th seems alot shorter than it needs to be. My Volvo T4 which is the same power returned 32mpg with four of us in it and the boot full of luggage last time i drove back from southampton and that was at 90-100 all the way. The Audi has no chance at geatting anywhere near that due to the gearing.

Average for my 2.0T is circa 28 mpg - I get circa 25mpg on the town commute and easily average 34 mpg on the motorway

Dandle said:
Our car has returned 24.5 mpg over its 14k life and I have never seen above 28-29mpg driving at 90 on the motorway. For some reason the gearing in 6th seems alot shorter than it needs to be. My Volvo T4 which is the same power returned 32mpg with four of us in it and the boot full of luggage last time i drove back from southampton and that was at 90-100 all the way. The Audi has no chance at geatting anywhere near that due to the gearing.

Agree this supports our experience although of course I would not admit to doing 90 on the motorway in the UK! Assume yours was in Germany too!!

TT
R:icon_thumright:

RGBArgee said:
Agree this supports our experience although of course I would not admit to doing 90 on the motorway in the UK! Assume yours was in Germany too!!

TT
R:icon_thumright:

;)

I see where you are coming from but if you compare 2.0T to other 2.0T (i.e Impreza, Evo, Megane, Astra etc) Mid 20's isn't that bad.

Right what difference does it make keeping the Econ button on the aircon?

I have it permanently on -being a tight ***** Scot

Ian_C said:

Air con is a must for us boys down here in the south!

Mine never gets switched off

Ian_C said:

Tried it but having to open the windows to keep cool had an adverse effect on mpg too.!!

TT;)

I recently drove from Edinburgh to just south of Exeter and returned 36mpg average at speeds of 70-90mph.

In town is different story, I rarely get more than 22-25mpg