What mpg do the 140 guys get?

marriedblonde said:
I thought the DSG was better on fuel according to Audi by about 1 or 2 mpg?

They do claim DSG is better on fuel, slightly.
I have no idea what they base this on though, it seems a very dubious claim to me.:think:

They do claim DSG is better on fuel, slightly.
I have no idea what they base this on though, it seems a very dubious claim to me.

I assume it's based on the standard test that have to be done for all new cars. Not that they are very representative, but I suppose that if all manufacturers have to do the same tests at least they are a fair comparison.

I presume with the DSG they probably test it in D mode where it tends to change up quite early which may make a slight difference.

With mixed driving and the car being remapped, aswell as the big wheels and sound system, I am averaging between 470-510miles to a tank.

On a good trip of 60/70 miles to my flat from home I can get 52mpg driving sensibly!

My day to day journey is 7 miles urban trip twice a day - takes about 20-25 minutes, a lot of sitting not moving and then I do the occasional urban trip to site.

I calculate useage by waiting for the fuel warning and then fill with a set amount and see how long before the warning goes again. With 20 litres I get between 150-170 miles before it needs a top up - 34-38 mpg. Climate on all the time and in this weather the auxiliary heater is in use most days

On a motorway run mid 40s and 500 miles from full to warning is possible.

Best I managed out of the 140 was mid 50s on a trip to Norfolk - plenty of miles at 56 or so mph.

I had a 170 manual last week and did 70 urban miles - DIS indicated mpg over this time was 29mpg:faint: .

I wasn't really suprised. With a gentle right foot DSG changes at 1500 revs and it changes to second almost immediately you start moving. I tried early changes in the manual and the thing just died, I was having to rev to over 2,000 before changing gear and where the DSG chooses 4th at 30 the manual didn't like it so I ended up using 3rd a lot more.

Auto boxes known for worse economy, when i got mine the broucher listed for the 140TDI, 50.4-manual/48.7DSG combined.

The latest broucher lists 51.4manual/48.7 Stronic combined, wonder why the manual is now slightly different, also the new Stronic is even quicker to 62 than the old DSG, by the Audi figures.

stan said:
Auto boxes known for worse economy, when i got mine the broucher listed for the 140TDI, 50.4-manual/48.7DSG combined.

The latest broucher lists 51.4manual/48.7 Stronic combined, wonder why the manual is now slightly different, also the new Stronic is even quicker to 62 than the old DSG, by the Audi figures.

The selling points of the DSG box where it was quicker than a manual and more economical. Basically because it is not a conventional auto box...

They have obviously changed their tune since 2005

daveyjp said:
I wasn't really suprised. With a gentle right foot DSG changes at 1500 revs and it changes to second almost immediately you start moving. I tried early changes in the manual and the thing just died, I was having to rev to over 2,000 before changing gear and where the DSG chooses 4th at 30 the manual didn't like it so I ended up using 3rd a lot more.

Not sure DSG changes up at 1500rpm, I'll check later.
I don't know what you mean about the manual not being able to make gear changes at 1500rpm.
If the DSG can do it, the manual can too.
There are no differences to the engine.
Your findings are exactly the opposite to my own, TBH.
I've driven several manual 140's and always found the engine is actually a lot more flexible than DSG will allow.
You can let the engine rev lower and higher, where DSG will already have changed down or up, respectively.
DSG actually gives the engine a narrower rev range than it has.
DSG 'robs' the driver of perfectly usable revs, especially at the top end, by several hundred rpm.
I know I always feel robbed, as my car is evidently willing to go farther in each gear, but DSG 'takes over' and changes up for me.

N8KOW said:
Good to know the s-tronic is even quicker :hubbahubba:

There is a very specific reason for this.
Audi lowered the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear ratios for the DSG.
This has been done specifically to give an impressive 0-60 time.
The trouble comes when you hit 60mph, when 3rd changes to 4th.
There is a big gap, so it really struggles to pick up in 4th.
For proof, look at the 0-100 times.
The 140 may only take 8 or so seconds to 60, but it takes a whopping 26 seconds to reach 100.
That's 5-6 seconds slower than a standard 320D.

marriedblonde said:
The selling points of the DSG box where it was quicker than a manual and more economical. Basically because it is not a conventional auto box...

They have obviously changed their tune since 2005

The April 2004 broucher compares the DSG to a conventional auto box, saying it will be more economic, and compares the DSG to a manual in speed, no gear changing, or clutch to press, or interruption of power.

Cant find any Audi figures for the 0-100 in any broucher, where is the best place to find this info.

Bowfer - we know you hate DSG, but this doesn't make the manual verison perfect.

I had a direct comparison between a 170 manual and a 170 DSG only a week ago and the manual was a dog.

As I said it wouldn't do anything from 1500 rpm in 2nd gear - a 1st to 2nd change required over 2,000 rpm or it just died. My wife had the same experience and she drives a manual all the time.

Whatever the gearbox there is no need to rev the nuts off a diesel engine - DSG will happily red line if you want it to, but whats the point when peak torque has been well and truly passed by then? If you feel robbed do manual changes, then it won't up change until it redlines.

Figures on paper are purely academic, its' reality which counts and 29 mpg from a manual was my reality.

daveyjp said:
Bowfer - we know you hate DSG, but this doesn't make the manual verison perfect.

I had a direct comparison between a 170 manual and a 170 DSG only a week ago and the manual was a dog.

As I said it wouldn't do anything from 1500 rpm in 2nd gear - a 1st to 2nd change required over 2,000 rpm or it just died. My wife had the same experience and she drives a manual all the time.

Whatever the gearbox there is no need to rev the nuts off a diesel engine - DSG will happily red line if you want it to, but whats the point when peak torque has been well and truly passed by then? If you feel robbed do manual changes, then it won't up change until it redlines.

Figures on paper are purely academic, its' reality which counts and 29 mpg from a manual was my reality.

I never said the manual was perfect, I said I think the engine is more flexible than DSG suggests.
DSG changes up and down within very strict parameters.
Parameters the manual doesn't.
So you have more flexibility.
If the manual you drove was a dog, then isn't it possible it was that particular car?
There is no difference to the engine between the DSG and manual, so to suggest the car you drove's problems were purely down to the fact it was a manual is nonsense.

For the person that wants the 0-100 time, I couldn't find anything either, so I timed it myself over about half a dozen runs on a quiet road near me.
The 26 seconds does tie in with an A4 2.0tdi test I found, stating the A4 does 0-100 is around 27 seconds.

0-60 is reasonably quick, but there's no denying it dies a death after that.

Cant find any Audi figures for the 0-100 in any broucher, where is the best place to find this info.

I posted the following informatiom in another thread back in August 2007

I've been out and tried some test in my 170. Each figure is the average of 3 runs in each direction on a deserted road that has now been replaced by a new bypass and using my GPS speedo.

My car does 0-80mph in 13.5 secs which is about the same as the figure (13.3) given in the Audi Driver magazine report.

It does 0-100 in 22.5 secs.

It changes from 3rd to 4th in D at around 30, in S at around 55 and in tip-tronic @4400rpm at around 60. These are all from a standing start with my foot on the floor.

h5djr said:
It does 0-100 in 22.5 secs.

So the 170 is about 3.5 seconds quicker to 100mph.
About right for the power increase, I suppose.

daveyjp said:

:wtf:

I can change gear quite happily from 1st to 2nd at 1,500rpm and it doesn't die or stutter. Can let it drop to about 850rpm in 2nd aswell and it will still pull away without any fuss.... maybe my manual 170 is a one off! :asskicking:

Matt said:

I can change gear quite happily from 1st to 2nd at 1,500rpm and it doesn't die or stutter. Can let it drop to about 850rpm in 2nd aswell and it will still pull away without any fuss.... maybe my manual 170 is a one off! :asskicking:

Think my car came from the batch as yours, as when driving normally I drive between 1200-2000rpm. My car pulls really well from 1200rpm and is one thing that everyone that drives my car comments on.

Mpg wise my 170 (at just under 22k) does around 38mpg driving around the city and 45mpg overall with mixed driving conditions. Quite surprised how small the mpg difference is between urban and motorway driving.

Considering the cracking performance of the car, I'm extremely happy with the economy and its gives better mpg than my old Mazda-6 2.0TDi.

My blue-finned A4 140 averages around 48 MPG, tank needs filling up every 650 miles.

marriedblonde said:
Jesus you do know your car has 6 forward gears don't you ;)

Yes MB !! although I have wondered sometimes. Thing is, it was a lot better - 42~46 for about first 2 years or so.
It's now 39 months old with 87k on clock. Serviced on the dot (co.car).
If anything, my daily commute to/from work should've aided things: used to be 6miles and 30 mins of stop-start urban hell into city-centre.
now, it's 21 miles & 30 mins, first 17 miles rural & deserted dual carraigeway, only reaching urban for last 4 miles.....
And it doesn't get hooned anymore now than it used to be.....

due to change in a few months time and like the idea of a 170-diesel A3 - s-tronic or quattro - reckon i'd be down to 20mpg if mine's anything to go by!!!

Matt said:

The 170 must be a completely different beast from the 140 then.
I deliberately tried last night, and anything down around 1500rpm is deeply unpleasant.
It will pull it, but with a fuss.
Nasty vibration, akin to when you're in a taxi and you're aware that the driver is changing up waaaay too early.
Only smoothes out and starts meaningfully pulling from around 1800rpm on.
God knows how you can say yours will pull from 850rpm without any fuss.
Are you sure you're not slipping the clutch,even subconciously?

No not all. I read this thread yesterday day time and thought before I posted I would check on my drive home from work. Basically as long as it goes no lower than 8mph on the digital speedo 2nd gear is fine and thats somewhere above 800rpm, 900rpm at most!

You'll forgive me if I find it hard to believe.
I'm sure it will pull from tickover (which is what 850rpm is) in 2nd, but I'll only believe it does it without any fuss, and with proper pulling power, when I see it with my own eyes.

done about 20,000 miles in this now.

Full tank - 490 - 600 miles (town driving - motorway)

MPG usually 45 on average

Drive like a granny - 52 mpg

Motorway cruise 75mph - 50+ mpg

80mph - 45 mpg

85mph - 47 mpg :faint: (yeah, i dont get why its more efficient!)

HTH

Cooky

Just thought I'd add my 2p worth.

Mine has now just passed the 1500 mile mark and the readout is saying 44mpg so far. I'm doing more longer journeys now (thanks to a new job) and have just hit the 300 mile mark on the current tank and have half a tank left. Last tank I got 450 miles out of it - I was pretty pleased with that as the car has been remapped since 200 miles and I still cant resist planting my right foot every so often :).

I'd expect the mileage to increase once the car has really run in and my motorway miles increase.

bowfer said:
You'll forgive me if I find it hard to believe.
I'm sure it will pull from tickover (which is what 850rpm is) in 2nd, but I'll only believe it does it without any fuss, and with proper pulling power, when I see it with my own eyes.

My 140 is the same - if I am tootling about town then I cruise at about 1000 rpm ... it can drop to 850 and still pull back up to 1000+ without an issue (so long as I don't floor it or require it to do it quickly). anything below 750 and then it is curtains and stalls very quick !! LOL but even in 5th I can drive in 30 mph zones at 900/1000 rpm quite easy and even up slight inclines!

It drives quite happy on tick-over revs too - i.e. feet off all the pedals in 2nd gear and it pulls along at 8mph when in heavy traffic ... about 5mph in 1st gear on tick over ...

I've done 28,500 miles in my October 2004 (54-plate) Sportback, and according to DIS, which I've always found to be accurate, the all-time average is 48.7mpg. Always reach 500 miles from a tank regardless, and sometimes over 550 if we've been out on long journeys.

Not bad because I do a lot of short trips too. Best I've seen though on DIS was over 63mpg when following my brother in a rented Transit along the A12 for 20 miles at 40mph! :)

Usuallly brim it , but tend to get around 550miles per tank, am quite aggressive too, but still getting around 47.5MPG.

Averaged 46.7 since last service and reckon around this since new (66k miles), but I've done 90% mainly motorway miles, which I get between 48-52mpg on and between 38-42 on other trips

I've not had the car long, but so far getting 47.5MPG average - this is to work and back - 1/2 town traffic, 1/2 motorway - taking it steady.

Pretty un-impressed to be honest, seeing as this is 5mpg LESS than the quoted average. In my 2.0 petrol A4 I get 38mpg for the exact same usage, which is 3mpg more than the quoted average.

Taking it steady on the motorway in the A3 gets about 54mpg - only 2mpg more than the quoted average - same in the A4 gets about 42mpg - 7mpg more than the quoted average!

With diesel 6p/litre more than petrol it makes the diesel not that much cheaper to run!

driving along a very dull but deserted 50mph road I can average 55-60mpg. on a motorway at 70mph will average 45-50mpg. around town (with stop start driving) I get 40ish.

This is all with normal driving on a 115,000 mile 2003 plate TDi140.
In last 10,000 miles (covered since oil change in August) I've added about 1/4 litre of oil. Filling up from nearly empty (30-40miles remaining) costs about £50-52.

Combined driving in my normal manner (not as above) I'm currently averaging about 38mpg with a mix of town/motorway driving :D That's about 400-450 miles per tank full.

Do I have a heavy right foot??

Petem95 said:
I've not had the car long, but so far getting 47.5MPG average - this is to work and back - 1/2 town traffic, 1/2 motorway - taking it steady.

With diesel 6p/litre more than petrol it makes the diesel not that much cheaper to run!

47.5 MPG = 9.57 litres per 100 miles.
For an average of 10,000 miles per annum that's 957 litres of diesel.
957 litres at £1.05 is £1004.85

29MPG for a petrol = 15.7 litres per 100 miles
That's 1570 litres of petrol at £1.00 is £1570.

With the Road Tax being about half, and generally a Turbo Diesel being cheaper to insure than a Petrol Turbo you're looking at at least £600 per year saving on running costs.

Now with a TDi being more expensive to start with the return is probably very close over the first 3 years, but for a second hand buyer the saving is obvious. That and the fact that a TDI is good for a quarter of a million miles before needing a good rebuild with the petrol probably needing it at around 100k.