What mpg do the 140 guys get?

N8

Kowalski Details
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In light of the other post. Just wondering what mpg the 2.0 TDI (140) guys are getting. Also wondering what miles you get out of a full tank and how much it costs to fill up. Will my DSG be heavier on diesel than a manual?

Thanks.

N8

DSG is allegedly slightly better on fuel, but it's marginal.
I get around 450 miles to a tank if I thrash it daft.
Nearer 600 miles to a tank, if I granny it.
Average low 40 mpg.
I dunno how people can be ***** with the likes of 20-25mpg from an S3.
Apart from the expense, there's the physical hassle of having to visit the petrol station all the time.
A Golf 1.8T Gti I had was lucky to do 250 miles to a tank.
What a pain in the **** it was.:asskicking:

Thankyou bowfer, great post, 600 miles is dounding great! Sorry to be rude, got a rough idea of cost, near the £60 mark? thanks

Although I've now got a 170 I had a 140 for nearly 3 years and 36,720 miles and the overall average was around 48 mpg.

With my current 170, which I've had since March and 12k miles the average is around 43 mpg.

Dave R

bowfer said:
I dunno how people can be ***** with the likes of 20-25mpg from an S3.
Apart from the expense, there's the physical hassle of having to visit the petrol station all the time.

Tell me about it, I get about 220-250 from a tank and I am filling up every other day...

J.

I've never managed to squeeze £60 into the tank.
Even when the 'miles tio empty' display is down to 30 miles, I think the most I've managed to squeeze in is around £52.00
Average is around £47 to fill it up.
So you could say £47 gets me between 450 and 600 miles, roughly.
M-way crusing fairly makes a difference.
You notice the 'miles to empty' going up and up, it's great.
The 'miles to empty' is the only part of the DIS I use, BTW.

marriedblonde said:
Tell me about it, I get about 220-250 from a tank and I am filling up every other day...J.

Not being cheeky, MB, but is it worth it?
I've become spoilt, I suppose.
I'm at the garage once every other week, sometimes once a month!

h5djr said:
Although I've now got a 170 I had a 140 for nearly 3 years and 36,720 miles and the overall average was around 48 mpg.

I seriously don't know how you managed that.
The only time I got anywhere near that was on a weekend to the West coast, when I was driving like the throttle had a kitten underneath it.
It was a real effort to drive so gently.
Too much of an effort, to be frank.
It surely just goes to prove the variable build quality of the 140 engine.
My drinks oil and struggles to low 40 mpg.
Yours didn't use oil and did 48 mpg.

:think:

Great bowfer, all the info I was looking for, obviously its more expensive to fill up now with the fuel prices being absolutley ludacris!!

Bowfer is about spot on - I got a 140 and get anything from 475 to 550 (mostly town driving) if I am driving nice and clean and steady. 450 if I am a bit heavy on the old gas pedal.

Interesting tho, motorway (70-80mph) is way lower for me - I get about 40/42mpg on motorways and approx 50mpg on town driving ... strange eh !

That is stock 140 engine - no tuning - if this helps at all with the figures.

Good tho.

bowfer said:
I seriously don't know how you managed that.
The only time I got anywhere near that was on a weekend to the West coast, when I was driving like the throttle had a kitten underneath it.
It was a real effort to drive so gently.
Too much of an effort, to be frank.
It surely just goes to prove the variable build quality of the 140 engine.
My drinks oil and struggles to low 40 mpg.
Yours didn't use oil and did 48 mpg.

:think:

It must be down to build quality cos my Dad has the 140 in a Golf (not sure on weight difference) and his does 48MPG regularly and over 50 on a run. Average mix of driving, not fast, not slow

N8KOW i can't believe you started this thread as I was going to start this very thread tonight myself!!!
I generally put half a tank in a week but last week decided to put £50 in. Which filled the tank up.
With 70% motorway miles I got 450 miles out of it. The other 30% were urban 30-40 mph roads. I felt that was poor for a diesel... Plus the B****** drinks oil. Needs a 500ml top up every 3000-4000 miles...
And yet I still love the car to bits...

bowfer said:
Not being cheeky, MB, but is it worth it?
I've become spoilt, I suppose.
I'm at the garage once every other week, sometimes once a month!

It's debatable I guess. I think so yes, if I was still driving my A3 I would be filling up twice a week instead I reckon.

h5djr said:

With my current 170, which I've had since March and 12k miles the average is around 43 mpg.

Dave R

I'll echo that mpg exactly on both cars my 140 sport did 48mpg 170 now does 43mpg.

standard Golf 140 about 41mpg, remapped around 42/43. It uses more this time of year due to the heated seats being on flat out. I'll post figures for the A3 when I get it.

Hi N8KOW

I have now done 60k in mine in the last 2 years and the computer says 45mpg, but i have worked it out on several occasions as slightly more. I spend my on both motorways and in town so it is a good average.

Between fill ups i get 520 miles on avg. unless i have been driving like an absolute loon for the whole tank, best i have acheived is 600.

Most fill ups at the moment are averaging £53 - £56

I've found anything over 85 or a head wind and the mpg really suffers.

Hope this helps.

DK

Averaging about 550 - 570 miles per tank - commute is 75 miles a day on motorways / the A1 which generally keeps mph between 40 and cough 70. Recent tanks about the £53-£55 mark

46000 miles A3 TDI Sport 140

N8KOW said:
In light of the other post. Just wondering what mpg the 2.0 TDI (140) guys are getting.

I had a A3 TDI with the 140 in it, awesome engine, loved every minute of it from the whistling dump valve to flooring it in 6th on the Autobahn, only bad things were it was a bit thirsty in winter (like all diesels I suppose) and it didnt like wet roads. Didnt mind the engine noise, its noticable but isnt as bad as some people make out. Had enough poke in it to be able to have a bit of fun now and again.

Once got just under 550 from a tank, got from Herford in Germany to Luton via the Channel Tunnel, I didnt hang about on the European side either, probably averaging about 100/110 all the way, I took 60 litres of diesel with me (naughty naughty) and did lots of driving, didnt fill up till I was back in Germany two weeks later.

One note I will make is that I thrashed it from day one, it was shipped to Holland and I went and picked it up, got to the border then floored it with a big grin on my face (Id just swapped my 1.6 FSI for it) so it was quite a step up. Didnt need to put any oil in it until 5000ish miles and then it didnt need any until the day I traded it in at about 9000, quite embarrassing.

The MPG always hovered between about 38mpg after a quick thrash round the ring road and 50/55 on the motorway averaging 90mph, certainly felt the difference when I went from that to a mk5 GTI.

I average about 42 I think... Which in winter isn't bad. Hopefully higher 40s in summer.

Not had the car for long, but around 470-550 miles per tank, but mostly driven around town. Obviously if you are doing motorway miles, then you would get a few more.

DIS says 45MPG.

Cost around £50 for a fill up.

N8KOW said:
In light of the other post. Just wondering what mpg the 2.0 TDI (140) guys are getting. Also wondering what miles you get out of a full tank and how much it costs to fill up. Will my DSG be heavier on diesel than a manual?

Thanks.

N8

Between MAr-July 2007 I regularly got 45mpg on a 150 mile motorway commute... Wait for it in a 2.0TDi A6 Sline Avant!!:icon_thumright:

:rockwoot: i am getting between 45-48mpg,about 600 miles to a tank, dont know how much to fill it though.that is really grannying it, really boring i will never do it again.

Average at 45mpg on local roads. On the motorway it averages around 53, sometimes a bit more (56).
I once managed to get 59/60mpg showing on the DIS somehow for a trip from Swindon to Bolton. That was doing 75-80.
Last fill up the warning light had just come on and it took 49 litres at 104.9p per litre. (just over £51)

N8KOW said:

Yes the DSG will be heavier on diesel, but i still get around 48mpg average in mine

DIS shows 47 mpg average over past 18 months and 14,000 miles, although I've kept a detailed log of every tankful and the real average is 42mpg (the DIS is renowned for over-reading).

Real (non-DIS) tankful average varies from 38-46 mpg.
Best I've seen is about 540 miles on a tankful before refuelling, which cost £57....