what mpg are you getting in your cars?

jimmytotheh

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 petrol a3 on a 53 plate. It drinks petrol like theres no tomorrow Im wondering wether theres something wrong with it or it needs some sort of tuning or something? Either that or im going to get a diesel and never look back. Any comments would be appreciated :)

2l TSFI with stage 2+ : Driving 70/80 on the motorway = 30mpg || If I put my foot down quite a bit = 15mpg

Currently computer is on 49mpg avg combined, on a 100 mile motorway trip I'll get 58mpg avg, see signature for car.

Currently computer is on 49mpg avg combined, on a 100 mile motorway trip I'll get 58mpg avg, see signature for car.
Pretty jealous of that mpg, I'm seem to be spending a small fortune on petrol - especially with put premium unleaded in it all the time

What's your mpg showing, before we can even advise if its bad or not.

What's your mpg showing, before we can even advise if its bad or not.
I'll have a check next time I'm driving around, maybe a reinstall of the remap might help it - but to be fair the stock mpg of S3's is about 36 anyway and it's only when I'm driving around quickly that it drinks a crazy amount of fuel.

69.5mpg on my commute this morning - not too bad I suppose

No theres something definitely wrong with the tuning on my car. My revs are hitting just under 3800 rpm at 70 mph.

I also have a 1.6 2003 and mine seems to drink fuel think it must be how the 1.6 is :( although i also think its how you drive if you keep it at low revs and general crap like that then it will last longer :)

All this sunshine has brought out the motorbikes, so the S3 is showing 15-20mpg.

Reactions: wuta3
I'm averaging about 40 - 43mpg combined in my 2.0TDi Quattro A3.

I'm getting 28mpg average with my 2010 Audi S3 manual g/box. That's mainly commuting to work on country roads.

No theres something definitely wrong with the tuning on my car. My revs are hitting just under 3800 rpm at 70 mph.

In what gear? Revs are only related to speed through the gearbox, not through engine tuning.

2l TSFI with stage 2+ : Driving 70/80 on the motorway = 30mpg || If I put my foot down quite a bit = 15mpg

Same here, but somehow managed 37 mpg the other day driving 100 miles on the motorway which was a nice surprise

I only about 50 on a run, stage one revo shouldn't make that much difference

2.0 TFSI and it depends on the journey but the 3 miles it take me to get to work in traffic I look at 24MPG ish. If I'm late, more like 19 haha

Stg4 and 28mpg here.

We should have one of these threads made into a sticky maybe.

There is DEFINATELY something wrong with my car. I'm not that heavy footed. As a test today I did a trip from Manchester to Sheffield via the M60 and Snake and managed 27.2 ... and I was TRYING to get the highest I could.

Normal city driving, 16-18mpg.

after new boost hose and more fueling added to the map, 47-49mpg with nice stream of black smoke

after new boost hose and more fueling added to the map, 47-49mpg with nice stream of black smoke

"Just cause its smokin' don't mean it's broken"

Reactions: TobiasCase and TDI140
About 40mpg local, 36mpg when sooting everywhere

the most accurate way to measure your mpg is to brim your tank, reset your trip meter before setting off again, drive for however long you need for it to need refilling, in my case, between 3 and 4 weeks, see how many miles you've covered (around 570 on my tank) then refill and see how many gallons it took to brim it (around 11 for me, since I don't run it to dangerously low levels) then divide the mileage by the gallons...

about 52ish, which for over 3 weeks of combined driving at different times of the day (tho mostly off peak and around town) is perfectly acceptable... tdi 140 2004

Got 29mpg on the way from brighton to Cornwall. Was 3am and nobody on the road so was gunning it. Usually get about 20 around town and got 39mpg on a trip to my parents driving sensibly. So varies on my right foot! Drive a 1.8tfsi

2.0 TDi with Custom Map, 64.2mpg avg. on a 150 mile round trip

2.0 TFSI Stage 2+ (not an S3) 13mpg average.
2.0 TDi DSG 140 (standard) 47mpg average.

2.0 FSI Stock car 30mpg around town
Not sure how it will be when I put an exhaust system & induction kit though

I'm getting 39-40 average mpg with my 2.0 TDi, remapped. London driving. I don't know if that's good or bad mpg?

Just did a 200mile round trip in my FWD 2.0T DSG - just over 40mpg.

I have 44-45mpg on my remapped 170 quattro, before the map it was 38-40 this is on the motorways driving heavy footed.

On commute to work (8 miles) is 37 after map and 33 before, cold and lots of roundabouts, not good for the old economy.

Audi S3 Revo stage2+ - around 25mpg, only driven evenings and weekends. Although a lot less now the weathers nice and the motorbikes out :D which gets 49mpg :D

it may not be the remap, when was it last serviced,
when was the last time you checekd your tyre pressures (i didnt check mine for months running between 29psi and 35 psi ment to be 38psi) and i gained 4mpg just from having the correct tyre pressure,
vac and boost leaks with reduce mpg,
also things like dragging brakes.
wheel aligment.

only takes you to have poor service period and low tyres and you could easy be knocking 10mpg off the best mpg figure

Revs in gear has nothing to do with tuning as someone else pointed out.

Remember there are two versions of the 1.6. Mine is the 1.6 FSI and I get avg 38-40 mpg on my normal weekly driving - mix of 50-limit A roads and town driving, but mostly moving.
If yours has the 6 speed box like mine, you should be seeing about 3k/revs at 70mph in 6th. If it's 3800 in 6th, you have a slipping clutch or the wrong wheels on.

Unlike my previous diesel Jag XJ 2.7, the Audi's economy drops like a stone the faster you go on the motorway. Where the Jag would do 40mpg all day at 90 on the motorway, the Audi drops to 30 if you are lucky if you go that fast.