What model oem radio

NickVC

Reaction score
hey guys, just wondering what type of radio i would have OEM in the s3? it should be a double din. Currently got a symphony, but i suspect from a different car model, as it doesnt on/off with ignition, no gala signal, no speaker lf door panel. it also has a 6 cd in radio, whilst i got the 6cd in the boot. can't find really good information about this.
are these problems just a small wiring issue that can be fixed, or should i be looking out for an oem radio?

A lot of variables there mate.

What year is your car?
Is it a Symphony or Symphony II?
Have you got Bose?

On/Off with ignition is usually canbus related unless the stereo has been wired differently.
You wouldn't normally have a gala signal to the radio,at least I haven't and my car is 03/2003 S3.
I'm currently running a Phatbox in my boot,acts similar to cd changer,your car may need coding to recognise the cd changer if you don't get it when pressing CD on stereo once or twice if you have cd's in the headunit.

Audi radio basic types...

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Downloads/audi_infotainment_Guide.pdf

My Symphony II wiring at back of stereo with Bose...
Symphonyii pin

hth

I think he has a symphony II, as they are 6 CD (maybe from an A4 with some minor trimming) and are a pain to get working properly in the S3, I have / had the same, the diversity aerial doesn't properly connect - you need to trim off the shielding and the radio doesn't show in DIS, I think you need VCDS registered to update settings to get it to work properly, also the sound sometimes drops in the front speakers.

stuart, exactly what u tell me here. symphony 2, 6cd, trimmed to fit, no dis function, no lf speaker and rf speaker sometimes loses function. so actually, vcds would be my solution to all these problems, instead of finding an oem one?

As mentioned alot of variants in these oem radio's.. my s3 8l 53/2003
..has symphony 2 it was picked as an option by the first owner of my car (me second) so no cd changer required so stick 6 cds in 1 by 1 and the glove stays empty..

I had a symphony 2 on my 2001/AMK S3 when I bought her..
IMG_3328.jpg

...and now retrofitted an RNS-E from a 2005 A4
IMAG0626.jpg

<tuffty/>

Reactions: andrew_wright
There were a few variants of the symphony 2 if I remember rightly. As Tuffty has one with multi CDs and tape deck stone came with mini-disk player. Mine didn't have either of these extra's just more buttons if I remember rightly.

My 2002 BAM S3 was supposed to come with a Symphony 2 when it was ordered but due to a problem only came with a Chorus (single DIN tape deck) and the 6CD changer in the boot. A tracker was fitted by Audi as a gesture of goodwill though for the ****-up.

so it my be possible to keep my symphony2, and code it with vcds...??

If your car is a facelift (2000 and on) then it uses CAN to turn the unit on/off and manage gala iirc... Symphony 2 will be can compatible so once fitted and code entered then the clocks remember the code for that unit and you won't need to recode if you pull the battery... Symphony is pre CAN I think which is why it won't turn off...

<tuffty/>

its a facelift 2001 version, allthough the radio is't original, the sides are trimmed to fit, and i have a 6 cd symphony2 and a 6 cd loader in the boot, wich to me also makes no sense. thats why i hope coding with vcds will solve my problems. thx for the info tuffty