What mileage do you guys do in your A6's?

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
Hi. I currently drive a b8 A4 saloon 1.8TFSI (160) S-line, car is absolutely brilliant, still makes me smile every time I drive it. I've had a few courtesy lifts from my local dealer in a C7 A6 and wow! What a car! I love everything about it, especially the way the mmi screen pops out the dash. The only flaw I've found is there is no petrol version (apart from S & Rs model, way out of my price range). Now I only do 6k miles a year and I don't think doing that kind of mileage warrants a diesel. What would worry me the most would be the dpf clogging up. I've seen a 2012 plate black edition that only has 8k on the clock, which is averaging 2700 miles a year! Was just wondering what you guys average a year? I really want an A6 but there's no point if the dpf is going to be a problem. Cheers

Between 30 and 35,000 miles a year.
Did the same in my B8's.
Got to be diesel for me !

Probably a 20% on motorway and no DPF issues.
If you don't go on motorways just have the odd blast on one if the light ever came on. These are fantastic cars and I wouldn't let this put you off.

Probably a 20% on motorway and no DPF issues.
If you don't go on motorways just have the odd blast on one if the light ever came on. These are fantastic cars and I wouldn't let this put you off.
Cheers mate. Will do just that lol. Now time to look for one. Is yours the 2 litre 177?

It's a 2 litre 190 ultra, I did have a 177 and it was great.

Last edited:
Hi. I currently drive a b8 A4 saloon 1.8TFSI (160) S-line, car is absolutely brilliant, still makes me smile every time I drive it. I've had a few courtesy lifts from my local dealer in a C7 A6 and wow! What a car! I love everything about it, especially the way the mmi screen pops out the dash. The only flaw I've found is there is no petrol version (apart from S & Rs model, way out of my price range). Now I only do 6k miles a year and I don't think doing that kind of mileage warrants a diesel. What would worry me the most would be the dpf clogging up. I've seen a 2012 plate black edition that only has 8k on the clock, which is averaging 2700 miles a year! Was just wondering what you guys average a year? I really want an A6 but there's no point if the dpf is going to be a problem. Cheers
I do about 10-12k per annum and have had no DPF issues. The real issue you need to consider is how your 6k per annum is made up. Is it lots of very short journeys with little chance of the engine warming up or is a smaller number of longer trips. If it is the former then you may encounter DPF issues, if the latter then it is probably not an issue. As to the 2012 car with only 8k miles I would want to understand why it was so low. If it has sat around for a long time then it will need a full service to including possible disc replacements to address things that may have deteriorated without use.

I do about 10-12k per annum and have had no DPF issues. The real issue you need to consider is how your 6k per annum is made up. Is it lots of very short journeys with little chance of the engine warming up or is a smaller number of longer trips. If it is the former then you may encounter DPF issues, if the latter then it is probably not an issue. As to the 2012 car with only 8k miles I would want to understand why it was so low. If it has sat around for a long time then it will need a full service to including possible disc replacements to address things that may have deteriorated without use.
Yeah well that's the problem, my journey to work is only 3 miles each way and other than that I normally just run about town. I do the odd blast on a 70mph dual carriageway but it's only a 2 mile stretch. I do the odd long run but it's very rare.

I do around 8k ayear had my 3 0 ltr A6 for 3 years no problems with DPF .I agree with others give it a right blast every few hundred miles , don't let be a issue what a car !!!!

I get an average 40 round the doors if i use the paddles ,leave it in auto then 35 ish .

They do the 3.0TFSI (and 2.0TFSI!!) in other markets, but in the UK people who buy A6's are mostly either company car people (TDI, often 204PS) or they're minted (S6/RS6)... plus a remapped 3.0TFSI is near as dammit the same pace as a S6 due to how much that is detuned, so they probably had to lose either the S6 or 3.0TFSI.

I do less than 4k a year for me, so petrol was the logical choice for me - they dropped the petrol option just as I was looking to buy mine, so there were a lot of pre-reg'd cars that were due to be demo cars that never got used: I got a 12-plate car that was pre-reg'd just before the 62 plates came out with only 250 miles on it.... I think the list price was ~£45k and it had nearly £10k in options on it (mostly the MMI+touch and LED headlight system).

310PS 3.0TFSI (identical engine to the S5, but tuned to bleed boost at high revs), so I'm constantly eyeing up the pulley + remap options :jump:

he he.... whoops.... it's still in the plans, I've just had some house projects that I'm finishing off and I've just had to take a 15% contract cut, so I'm a little light on cash right now.... it's in the plans, but I need to be feeling a little bit more flush first....

I've got a 12-reg 3.0 204PS diesel A6 auto 8-speed, do about 8k a year but try never to do short trips, it mostly gets used on a 15-mile run where 12 miles is on 70mph road. Never had any probs so far in 18 months. Does 50-52mpg on a long run, averages 47. I just leave it in auto, occasionally drop into Sport mode to overtake, seldom use the paddles unless playing about.

Mikey - don't be tempted by the CVT/multitronic gearboxes, even detuned to 204PS, that V6 TDI is too much torque for the CVT gearbox unless you're driving like a saint - my neighbour had one and after he destroyed two of them he packed it in for next one up (quattro with a DSG).... CVT's are very funky gearboxes, but they don't really like big cars and REALLY don't like high torque engines.

That said - if you're getting it as a company car, they're low tax as they're a ridiculously low CO2 level as they're all FWD and the engine + gearbox are tuned for economy.

+1 on gearbox choice. The BiTDI comes with "tiptronic" which I think allows enough slip to help torque vs a DCT and suits the car / engine perfectly and is lovely. S6 has DCT which is rapid and works lovely, but drops back to a Tiptronic for RS6 (again for torque issues I think).

Real world MPG I get:
44mpg pretty consistently when mostly motorway using efficiency mode.
34mpg with higher speed spirited driving in dynamic mode.
19mpg around London in normal drive mode (averaging 10mph without start stop)
24mpg in London on a Sunday with normal drive mode (average speed is higher)
50mpg possible if you stick to 50mph in efficiency mode (seems to be ideal speed for efficiency) which surprised me.
Never goes below 16mpg.

WoollyJoe - I get almost exactly 75% of the fuel economy that you get in each situation (multiply each of your numbers by 0.75)... not sure what will happen to the fuel economy if I get the supercharger pulley changed and remapped, probably not good news given it keeps the boost pressure up to 7000rpm... given how low my mileage is, I don't especially care if it means the sort fo power upgrades that they reckon are easy... 375bhp-450bhp.... there's a crazy remapping company in he Netherlands that will completely overhaul the engine, brakes and suspension for €9k and get >520bhp.... I'm guessing that would see the fuel ecnomy go pretty pear-shaped though :)