What makes a good motorway cruiser?

G

_G_

So far I can think of:

- Smooth and quiet engine (or at least a cabin with minimal engine noise)
- Comfortable seats
- Air con / climate controls
- Good amount of power to overtake and accelerate 70-80

any more for any more?

Buy a car with a powerful TDI engine, you can run them off boost so they give better fuel economy, have extra torque for overtaking and better suspension set-up's from factory ! You also get better fuel economy as a bonus !

Seats. It's all about the seats. I remember an M6/M74 blast in a friend's X-Type Jag with the best leather seats ever. They were so comfortable and we all felt fresh after going from the Lakes to Glasgow.

My A3's Recaro-type seats are also very, very good for long distances. It's one of the reasons why I bought the thing in the first place. Having done Newcastle to London and back in a shonky A Class to then drop into the A3 is just a totally different experience. I imagine big Jags, Rolls Royces etc are incredible for long journeys or pan-European jaunts.

Is this question specifically for motorway cruising ability, or is the question of economy comes into it?

If it's just the former, then a largish vehicle with a lazy V8/V12 and auto box! Something like a Q7 would be my choice, money no object of course. If fuel economy is an issue, then an A3/A4 TDI Auto of some sort, but as I would probably by an S-Line spec, the hard suspension wouldn't really do much on the ride comfort of things.

Not too bothered about economy but thanks for replies so far.
Was thinking of a VW Phaeton V8, plenty of used and abused ones knocking around on the internet.
We're going to be making a few 300+ mile trips this year to family in Scotland so thought it would be nice to have one to use every other month...