Q5 what kinds of carplay adapters allow me to watch video?

Jeroen Koomen

Reaction score
I ordered a Wireless CarPlay box from carlinkitcarplay. Carlinkit is from China. It utilizes the factory screen and mmi/ami system.

I use wireless CarPlay with my iPhone.

it’s not touchscreen, but I can use updated navigation, stream music, utilize Siri and make calls, but I haven’t figured out video mirroring for YouTube.

If you are looking for better SQ, go with a head unit replacement.

I didn't think CarPlay allowed the use of videos from a road safety standpoint. In other words, they don't want to be held liable if you're caught watching YouTube while driving.

I’ve just gone into the CarPlay area of the settings on my iPhone. YouTube is not showing as one of the accessible apps. Probably for the reason @Garrett 69 mentioned.

Have you tried the screen mirroring option from the drop down options on the actual iPhone screen?

CarPlay is effectively screen mirroring but YouTube it not one of the allowed apps.

you can start YouTube on your phone and get the audio, but not video.

You can play Video from SD cards - I used to do it on my 2013 and 2014 SQ5s.

CarPlay is effectively screen mirroring but YouTube it not one of the allowed apps.

you can start YouTube on your phone and get the audio, but not video.
I recently saw an advertisement for a small adapter that enables you to really have a complete tablet experience. I am wondering if it’s possible.

Last edited:
This is only possible with jailbroken iPhones and even then it’s not recommended.

Reactions: abmat
I‘m really struggling to understand the wisdom of this idea. There is a very good reason why video in motion is against the law in most countries.

You can play Video from SD cards - I used to do it on my 2013 and 2014 SQ5s.
I did as you said, but it doesn't seem to work. Can you provide some photos or videos? I think our cars should be the same in terms of the basic setup.

You need a software tool to encode your video files in a very specific format to work - I used Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate (there are Windows and Mac versions) with these settings:

Pavtube Settings

I was able to encode DVDs (using a tool called CloneDVD to get the files), get YouTube content using FreeMake Video Downloader - all worked perfectly on the SQ5 and 8U RSQ3 displays.

I‘m really struggling to understand the wisdom of this idea. There is a very good reason why video in motion is against the law in most countries.
You lose the video over 5mph. There are tools such as OBD11 that can add 'Video in motion' but that's sheer lunacy in my book.

I ordered a Wireless CarPlay box from carlinkitcarplay. Carlinkit is from China. It utilizes the factory screen and mmi/ami system.

I use wireless CarPlay with my iPhone.

it’s not touchscreen, but I can use updated navigation, stream music, utilize Siri and make calls, but I haven’t figured out video mirroring for YouTube.

If you are looking for better SQ, go with a head unit replacement.
I think this is what you want! https://autokitcarplay.com/pages/t-box