What kind of retrofits have YOU done to your A3/S3?

CheekyWizard

Reaction score
I've always been curious as to what kind of retrofits you guys have done to your A3/S3 and why. And most importantly how you stumbled onto retrofitting in the first place!

I'll start with what i have done to my A3 hatchback since i bought it almost 4 years ago second hand, and how i started installing retrofits.
My A3 was as good as standard with the exception being the rear parking sensors, climate control and the s-line exterior pack so natureally i wanted more options to fit the look of the car!

The very first thing i wanted to change were the rear tail lights because i really hated the look of those standard ones. I started looking on the internet to see if anyone had done it before, and that was when i stumbled onto this forum and discovered this nice and wholesome community of passionate retrofitters and VAG car enthusiasts in general.
Some of you guys proffesionally retrofitters, others DIY enthusiasts like me.

I bought a pair of second hand LED tail lights from ebay together with an adapter loom (which needed rewiring anyway because of some problems i had with the blinkers not working properly :expressionless:)

After that, i wanted to see how far i could go with DIY retrofits so i bought an OBDeleven OBDII diagnostic tool and started messing around with it.
Before i knew it i had added:

• Cruise control
  • 18" RS3 Rotor look rims
  • Blacked out badges front and rear
  • cloth -> alcantara interior with heated seats, lumbar support and massage function.
  • LED fog lights with cornering function
  • Heated mirrors with mirror dip function
  • standard -> bi-xenon headlight with automatic headlight adjustment (because you can't have LED tail lights and NOT have the waaaay better looking headlights as well!)
  • Automatic headlight sensor/rain sensor (lights go on when dark and wipers work automatically when rain is detected by the sensor)
  • quicker throttle response time
  • Scandinavian DRL function (which basically means drl for your tail lights)
some of these were just changing some 1's and 0's in the software; others required turning my car into an ikea furniture set. All of these were done with second hand parts with exception for the wiring looms i needed to make the work properly and the rims.

It's always an awesome and challenging learning expierence figuring out how stuff works on your car, and i really think it creates some sort of weird bond with your car... how weird this may sound it is most definitely true!

YOUR TURN!

Reactions: Potterswheel
Well done that man, it seems as though you have done most things already. What's next, VC???

Well done that man, it seems as though you have done most things already. What's next, VC???
Can virtual cockpit still be done ? I would like to do it but think you need a whole new dashboard + V5 for the virtual cockpit that you have to prove its not stolen ?

Can anyone confirm would be grateful

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well done. I’m lucky I got a good spec BE s3 with tech pack but like you still wanted more as I wasn't gonna wait 6months+ for a factory builds and get a gpf car.
So far got folding mirrors fitted myself and djalix here fitted dashcams and reversing camera for me.
Done a shedload of coding.
If I decide to keep the car at the end of the year I want front parking sensors, maybe auto main beam and rs3 grill. Would like the ACC as well but feels a bit risky relying on it functioning correctly as a retrofit rather than a factory fitted unit.

Nice Job, once you get the taste for it you cant stop. I have been doing retrofits since I first got a VAG back in about 2014.
So far I have retrofitted the following:

Completed Retrofits:
Cupholder LED
Footwell Lights
Door Handle illumination
Larger screen MIB1 (Cost of MIB2 was too much to justify wanting a larger screen)
Interior Dimming Mirror
Exterior Dimming Mirrors
High Beam Assist
Facelift LED Tailights with sweeping indicators.

Future retrofits:
Cruise control
Park Assist
TPMS High
Blind Spot Monitoring
Reverse Camera
Door Exit/Entry Warning Lights

Reactions: AlS3BE
It gives you dynamic guidelines, I believe this is called the 'high' install in the adaptions

IMG 20210330 WA0001
it comes fully programmed and ready to be switched on

Reactions: Gazpot0111645
Good job. My A3 was a very basic version from factory so I had much space to have fun with retrofits. So far I've done:

- Front fog lights
- Interior vanity and glove box LED lights
- Roof lights upgrade with LED map/reading lights
- Front and rear footwell lights
- Cupholder LED light
- Door lights (handle, puddle and warning)
- Auto Hold
- Cruise Control
- Direct TPMS (with an additional job to make tyre temperatures to be displayed)
- Audi Side Assist/Blind Spot Radar
- Power folding mirrors
- Interior and exterior (driver side) dimming mirrors (with a "manual override" circuit added)
- Parking Assist PLA (auto-parking)
- Reversing camera

Currently under test:
- Auto digital air conditioning control (panel replaced and all sensors added, it works but there are still a few issues with partial recirculation closure).
- PLA 3.0 (parking assist module works but there are compatibility issues with instrument cluster version)

Under consideration:
- Front camera/Lane Assist (will require replacing the windshield, maybe it's not worth the trouble)
- Adaptive Cruise (radar is a bit expensive and it will also require replacing front grille, stalk set and cluster)
- Power adjustment seats (not much motivated because I'm the only one to drive the car)
- MIB2 and Virtual Cockpit (maybe, if I get rich)

Reactions: Gazpot0111645 and AlS3BE
On my 2017 S3:
Puddle light retrofit
Footwell light retrofit
Lighted RS3 shift paddle retrofit
RS3 front brake air guides

Potterswheel: Very interested in your reverse camera retrofit, and I’d appreciate some extra info:
How difficult was it to install, and how good were the instructions that came with the kit.? German? Did you need anything in addition to what was supplied? Did you need to do any coding? Was your purchase postBrexit, and did you get hit with any extra import charges?

Thanks
Mike

First off, my car is a saloon, I believe it is a lot more difficult to fit the Camera to the sport back hatch and there are others who will tell you about that. on the saloon the most difficult thing was removing the trim and getting the cables to the back of the fuse board and MMI in the glovebox, I am retired and took my time and didn't find the job too difficult. I do have a tame coder who did all the necessary coding for me. There used to be a very good step by step guide in the FAQ 'how to' thread which I used but the link no longer works, It was for both the hatch and the saloon.

Reactions: Mikeso51
Good job. My A3 was a very basic version from factory so I had much space to have fun with retrofits. So far I've done:

- Front fog lights
- Cupholder LED light
- Auto Hold
- Cruise Control
- Direct TPMS (with an additional job to make tyre temperatures to be displayed)
- Power folding mirrors
- Interior and exterior (driver side) dimming mirrors (with a "manual override" circuit added)
- Reversing camera

Currently under test:
- Auto digital air conditioning control (panel replaced and all sensors added, it works but there are still a few issues with partial recirculation closure).
- PLA 3.0 (parking assist module works but there are compatibility issues with instrument cluster version)

Under consideration:
- Front camera/Lane Assist (will require replacing the windshield, maybe it's not worth the trouble)
- Adaptive Cruise (radar is a bit expensive and it will also require replacing front grille, stalk set and cluster)
- Power adjustment seats (not much motivated because I'm the only one to drive the car)
i am have bought the black audi s3 map reading lights for the interior. are they easy enough to wire in i have 2016 a3 e-tron with basic dome lights front and rear

i am have bought the black audi s3 map reading lights for the interior. are they easy enough to wire in i have 2016 a3 e-tron with basic dome lights front and rear
The connectors are different so you need a new wiring loom to connect the rear roof lights to the front. There is a thread on that specific retrofit in the forum. I'm not sure what was the thread title but you may find it easily if you do a search.

The connectors are different so you need a new wiring loom to connect the rear roof lights to the front. There is a thread on that specific retrofit in the forum. I'm not sure what was the thread title but you may find it easily if you do a se

Thanks Rcord, I have found it i have bought the front and rear led lights and a new loom is coming from aliexpress. i just hope i don't get the flickering effect.

It will be very interesting to hear how you get on. It was unclear from the earlier thread if new coding was required in addition to the rewiring.

Do you have a link that you can share for the Aliexpress wiring loom?

If you type in 'For Audi A3 halogen ceiling light upgrade LED ceiling wire in Aliexpress, it should come up from seller VW AG Store £17 delivered hopefully before end of the month. I will also post pictures of the fit Drive2.ru russian site is also a great help. i don't think any coding is required as i will be using original wiring, but i will update if i do.

Reactions: Mikeso51
Thanks. Interested in this upgrade myself, so I’ll look forward to your update. Hope it works out!

Reactions: nah33d.

- Front fog lights
- Cupholder LED light
- Auto Hold
- Cruise Control
- Power folding mirrors
- Reversing camera

Currently under test:

Under consideration:
Has anyone done the ACC retrofit on pfl here? What parts do you need? Can it be trusted as a retrofit and working as it did from factory lol I presume you won’t need new cluster if you already have virtual cockpit?

Last edited:
I have a 2013 A3 and the retrofits I did are the following:

LED cupholder lights
Front & rear footwell LEDs
Vanity & roof LED lights
S-Line sideskirts
FL S-Line rear bumper
Black rings at the rear
Dynamic tail lights (I am still unable to get those work without going out of sync)

What I plan to do:
FL S-Line steering wheel
Front FL full LEDs
Front FL bumper as the full LED FL lights won't fit on the PFL bumper I have now
Automatic climate control - if possible
What I really want to do is to have the MIB2 retrofitted as well, though I am quite affraid that my B&O system will fail to work if I go for it :/
Also I would like to install the heated elements to my seats as I love them - they're the alcantara & leather sport seat, but not sure if that is possibble as well.

Otherwise, I am getting 340 front discs with 4pot calipers for sure, as the standard Audi discs are the shitties discs I've ever had on a vehicle, as well as 310s at the rear. Here, I am not sure if Porsche Macan calipers are straight forward swap, or I need to get the TTs ones ? Would appreciate an advice from someone who had been through this.

- Front fog lights
- Cupholder LED light
- Auto Hold
- Cruise Control
- Power folding mirrors
- Reversing camera

Currently under test:

Under consideration:
What year car is this and what parts did you need for park assist? Did you have to change your bumpers for the side sensors?

Thanks Rcord, I have found it i have bought the front and rear led lights and a new loom is coming from aliexpress. i just hope i don't get the flickering effect.
Welcome. There is a simple coding needed to avoid the flickering. IIRC it's also explained in the thread I mentioned.

Reactions: nah33d.
What year car is this and what parts did you need for park assist? Did you have to change your bumpers for the side sensors?
Mine is a 2015 A3. Parts include 12 sensors and brackets to fit them in the bumpers, 2 buzzers, 2 ABS sensors for the rear wheels, the control module and the button set for the dash. I bought the park assist kit from "VW AG Store" on Aliexpress and they used to supply both FL and PFL versions. The wiring looms they supply may be confusing, thogh, since they send you the wiring for "rear only" sensors, another wiring for "add front" and another for "add park assist" instead of supplying a specific wiring for "park assist from scratch", so you end up having a whole buch of redundant wiring. I preferred to remove all redundancies and redo the wiring and wrapping it as a single loom for front and a single loom for rear in order to have a simpler (and better looking) wiring, but it will work anyway if you do the installation with all the wires they supply.

Also, there is no need to change bumpers, they all have the crosshair marks to help making the holes in the exact places. I used Q.Max metal punches (sized 18.6mm, 29mm and 32mm) to punch the holes without damaging the bumper finish and had a good result, but my car is black and I'm not sure if the dark plastic material of the bumper would be visible around the holes if they are made with the kind of punch I used.

Reactions: GeneralA3
How did you do the "quicker throttle response time"? Was it just coding with VCDS or does it require a reflash of the ECU? Or perhaps with an adapter/piggybank (seen those for many vehicles, but I'm very doubtful)

I've always been curious as to what kind of retrofits you guys have done to your A3/S3 and why. And most importantly how you stumbled onto retrofitting in the first place!

I'll start with what i have done to my A3 hatchback since i bought it almost 4 years ago second hand, and how i started installing retrofits.
My A3 was as good as standard with the exception being the rear parking sensors, climate control and the s-line exterior pack so natureally i wanted more options to fit the look of the car!

The very first thing i wanted to change were the rear tail lights because i really hated the look of those standard ones. I started looking on the internet to see if anyone had done it before, and that was when i stumbled onto this forum and discovered this nice and wholesome community of passionate retrofitters and VAG car enthusiasts in general.
Some of you guys proffesionally retrofitters, others DIY enthusiasts like me.

I bought a pair of second hand LED tail lights from ebay together with an adapter loom (which needed rewiring anyway because of some problems i had with the blinkers not working properly :expressionless:)

After that, i wanted to see how far i could go with DIY retrofits so i bought an OBDeleven OBDII diagnostic tool and started messing around with it.
Before i knew it i had added:

• Cruise control
  • 18" RS3 Rotor look rims
  • Blacked out badges front and rear
  • cloth -> alcantara interior with heated seats, lumbar support and massage function.
  • LED fog lights with cornering function
  • Heated mirrors with mirror dip function
  • standard -> bi-xenon headlight with automatic headlight adjustment (because you can't have LED tail lights and NOT have the waaaay better looking headlights as well!)
  • Automatic headlight sensor/rain sensor (lights go on when dark and wipers work automatically when rain is detected by the sensor)
  • quicker throttle response time
  • Scandinavian DRL function (which basically means drl for your tail lights)
some of these were just changing some 1's and 0's in the software; others required turning my car into an ikea furniture set. All of these were done with second hand parts with exception for the wiring looms i needed to make the work properly and the rims.

It's always an awesome and challenging learning expierence figuring out how stuff works on your car, and i really think it creates some sort of weird bond with your car... how weird this may sound it is most definitely true!

YOUR TURN!
I wrapped my headlights, fogs and rear lights, also wrapped the chrome grill surround and added a sunstrip, also done my blacked out badges. Cheap and easy to do the wrapping if you know your way around a scalpel, skweegy and heat gun.

Attachments

• 20190804_203248.jpg
    20190804_203248.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20190804_175407.jpg
    20190804_175407.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 103
  • 20190804_203609.jpg
    20190804_203609.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 20190804_150630.jpg
    20190804_150630.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
Mine is a 2015 A3. Parts include 12 sensors and brackets to fit them in the bumpers, 2 buzzers, 2 ABS sensors for the rear wheels, the control module and the button set for the dash. I bought the park assist kit from "VW AG Store" on Aliexpress and they used to supply both FL and PFL versions. The wiring looms they supply may be confusing, thogh, since they send you the wiring for "rear only" sensors, another wiring for "add front" and another for "add park assist" instead of supplying a specific wiring for "park assist from scratch", so you end up having a whole buch of redundant wiring. I preferred to remove all redundancies and redo the wiring and wrapping it as a single loom for front and a single loom for rear in order to have a simpler (and better looking) wiring, but it will work anyway if you do the installation with all the wires they supply.

Also, there is no need to change bumpers, they all have the crosshair marks to help making the holes in the exact places. I used Q.Max metal punches (sized 18.6mm, 29mm and 32mm) to punch the holes without damaging the bumper finish and had a good result, but my car is black and I'm not sure if the dark plastic material of the bumper would be visible around the holes if they are made with the kind of punch I used.
Interesting that the non park assist bumpers have the markings on it already. Adaptive Cruise Control retrofit would be more useful but radar looks expensive! Grill can get for cheap and the stalk. But other than that you need the camera part for the windshield? Do you need to replace the whole windshield?

Last edited:
Interesting that the non park assist bumpers have the markings on it already. Adaptive Cruise Control retrofit would be more useful but radar looks expensive! Grill can get for cheap and the stalk. But other than that you need the camera part for the windshield? Do you need to replace the whole windshield?
The camera is needed only for the Lane Assist, not for Adaptive Cruise, both retrofits may be done separately. If you want to have a perfect, OEM looking Lane Assist retrofit, you do have to replace the windshield. Besides having the proper bracket for mounting the camera, the proper windshield has a transparent triangle shaped hole in the upper dark area, which is not present in the regular windshied, and there is no way (AFAIK) to clear a hole through the dark area because it's embedded into the glass layers. Some retrofitters succeeded in installing the camera in alternative ways though. I'm stilll studying on those solutions.

Thanks. Interested in this upgrade myself, so I’ll look forward to your update. Hope it works out!
So I have received the wiring loom for the interior lights from aliexpress all cables were genuine VW AG group parts. it did not work looks like i need an auto electrician to sort this out. all in all with the parts front and rear lights and the wiring it's cost me less than £50

Reverse camera is easy, I used :-
generally trouble free and 'right'
Hey mate, interesting. You have like a guide on how to wire it up and guide/route the cables?

Hi, there is a guide, but I am sorry I have been told I cannot send it to you by the site administrator.

Hi, there is a guide, but I am sorry I have been told I cannot send it to you by the site administrator.
You can send through private message. People shouldn’t put their email addresses on a public forum.

Last edited:
Well done. I’m lucky I got a good spec BE s3 with tech pack but like you still wanted more as I wasn't gonna wait 6months+ for a factory builds and get a gpf car.
So far got folding mirrors fitted myself and djalix here fitted dashcams and reversing camera for me.
Done a shedload of coding.
If I decide to keep the car at the end of the year I want front parking sensors, maybe auto main beam and rs3 grill. Would like the ACC as well but feels a bit risky relying on it functioning correctly as a retrofit rather than a factory fitted unit.

Hi, I have a 2014 S3 Saloon and I’m looking to get the folding mirrors retrofitted myself.

Is there any specific door module you need for it or just the folding mirrors and parts for the door trim. I have an OBDeleven for the coding but don’t want to invest in it if it won’t end up working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some car need modules some don’t. I was lucky mine didn’t need new modules. Just coding

Reactions: christy1999
What model and year is your car if you don’t mine me asking

Mines a 2018 black edition s3 with tech pack so might have been lucky it’s a high-ish spec so might have came with the better modules or could be a facelift thing.

Mines a 2018 black edition s3 with tech pack so might have been lucky it’s a high-ish spec so might have came with the better modules or could be a facelift thing.

Ah I see that makes sense, I’m going to try and not get the modules first and if it doesn’t work I’ll order some. If I do end up needing the modules hopefully OBDeleven won’t be a hassle to code

Thank for your response :)

Ah I see that makes sense, I’m going to try and not get the modules first and if it doesn’t work I’ll order some. If I do end up needing the modules hopefully OBDeleven won’t be a hassle to code

Thank for your response :)

follow the coding that’s on here somewhere. It’s not difficult. Did mine with obd11.