What is VCDS / VAG COM? New to me, common to many!

a318t

Reaction score
The thread title says it all.

Can somebody explain what it is?

Many thanks guys :thumbsup:

its a diagnostic software/cable specific to VAG cars.
if you have an issue with your car, or even if you think there's nothing wrong, you plug it in and it scans all the various computers/sensors and tells you how everything is and whats wrong and why.
probably the most usefull thing you could buy for your car.

In simple terms its a diagnostic tool for vw Audi seat skoda vehicles

Awesome, cheers guys! I take it you need specific software + diagnostic port-pin type to USB lead?

It could prove very helpful in my hunt for loss of power (that is unless the actuator solves it)

That response was vague - I meant "what software is it" ;)

free vagcom can be downloaded here: Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download

Vagcom cables can be bought off ebay for around £10.

This will give you the basics of vagcom such as searching the car for faults on its computers, changing settings like auto lock doors horn beep when locking unlocking etc, and being able to do basic logs.

You dont really need the full vagcom unless you deal with cars, it would be cheaper to take it to a garage than buy the full vagcom

This will give you the basics of vagcom such as searching the car for faults on its computers, changing settings like auto lock doors horn beep when locking unlocking etc, and being able to do basic logs.

You dont really need the full vagcom unless you deal with cars, it would be cheaper to take it to a garage than buy the full vagcom

Many thanks for this! :)

...You dont really need the full vagcom unless you deal with cars, it would be cheaper to take it to a garage than buy the full vagcom

Not strictly true.... VCDS is well worth the 200 odd quid imo especially if you do your own work on the car and plan to keep it a while... granted if you are the sort of person that keeps a car for 6 months then goes on to the next great thing its less appealing for for the avid enthusiast its prbaly the next best thing to a remap...

Have a read of this as this shows you the limitations of the unregistered copy...
Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

You can register the 'lite' version for $99 but it will be tied to the machine you install it on (needs to be a laptop for obvious reasons)...

The lite version is a little limited in logging and stuff until registered... not sure what the limitations will be in context of your AGU as the AGU ecu doesn't have all the features of the later ecu's...

This will get you started too..
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/

<tuffty/>

I agree the original real deal is best........ but......... if your skint and a geek like me who has vagcom 3.11 (full) £0 and ebay cable £7.45 that's the way to go, but please remember it's not original is the cable so you will more than likely have some kind of comms error an a controller (mine don't like the air-con). So far I have done diagnostic, clear codes, tb reset, output tests on alarm, crash test, dash output test (personal favourite), abs test (which gave me heart attack when the abs pump kicked in with no engine on!), managed to diagnose a boost leak using the fuel trim data and maf readings and just got my doors to auto lock after 12mph. Once I get a job secured again I will be buying the original as tbh I would say it's worth every penny. Plus you can make money using it on cars in your local area :)

I purchased a cable from Gendan, not the ones with the licence, but one that works with VCDS on non can-bus cars, was about £35 IIRC and I get no comms errors with any modules.

I then registered VCDS with Ross Tech for $99, and I've got all the functionality I need for any VAG car up to about 2004/5, and fine for my S3 8L.

I'll invest in a new cable if I ever get an 8P or newer VAG group car, but for just over £100 my setup has paid for itself 10 times over at least over the years.

If u own a VAG car its well worth investing in this cable.

I thought long and hard and ended up buying the genuine Ross tech cable.
Gendan UK seem to do one at a fair price but do shop around.

Get the hex can USB as it will work on almost all the different models.

I believe u can also buy the genuine cable at a reduced price from Ross Tech provided u buy a registered version of the software.

It will pay itself over many times not to mention if u help other people they are always happy to sort out a few beers in exchange :):beer::beer::beer::beer::)

VCDS also does generic OBDII so it can be used on other cars (in a limited capacity) for fault finding and logging... I have used it on Fords, Vauxhalls even a Rover!...

<tuffty/>

also remember that if you do decide to buy a cheap cable and licence it for $99, they will give you that $99 back as a credit if you choose to order a genuine cable from them later on.

Personally, i use an ebay cable, and its fine.

i had ebay cable and lite for my passat, upgraded to a full cable for my a6, well worth it

If you want to purchase VCDS then you need to contact NHN on here, he has sold hundreds of cables to people on this forum, the guy is a legend tbh.

Yes, you want the FULL version, so worth it.

Read & reset fault codes= most cheapos from Fleabay will sort you out. Limited to the Version that works on that specific cable you buy. If it says VAGCOM Version 5.0 or higher mentioning This cable works with version XYZ then its crap avoid.

Modifications, coding, resetting MIL or just checking the health status of your motor = Try to Get the Genuine Ross tech HEX CAN USB genuine cable.

My advice, Save up for the real cable if you can, It will cost you no doubt about that but you can do scans and charge if you want to make your money back. If you need a demo am sure there are enough people in this forum or others who can give you a demo/ free check using the genuine VAGCOM. FREE UPDATES is also a benefit that comes in useful not to mention it will work on any computer.

No point buying a cheapo and then posting on forums when it messes up your ECU. Buy it cheap buy it twice !

its a diagnostic software/cable specific to VAG cars.
if you have an issue with your car, or even if you think there's nothing wrong, you plug it in and it scans all the various computers/sensors and tells you how everything is and whats wrong and why.
probably the most usefull thing you could buy for your car.

Hi. Sorry if I'm being ignorant. I just bought a 2014 Audi S4 with the Stasis package/tune. Can I pull up read the tune with any diagnostic tool like this

one for example: Amazon product

or this: Amazon product

Or does it need to be VCDS / VAG COM specific? Please let me know.

Hi. Sorry if I'm being ignorant. I just bought a 2014 Audi S4 with the Stasis package/tune. Can I pull up read the tune with any diagnostic tool that I can buy from amazon? Or does it need to be VCDS / VAG COM specific? Please let me know.

Wrong forum but I don't think vcds / vagcom can read your ecu flash, you need something else for that. And I expect the author may have encrypted it to protect their IP.

What thread on nef discusses using vagcom to download the bin from an me7.1 ecu?
They push nefmoto to do read/write I needed to use mpps.

Aren't they using nefmoto not vcds software, they are just using the same cable. Nefmoto supports odb kkl which the vcds interface uses so setting the cable into dummy mode works as a pass through kkl leadlead personally for the sake of a fiver I would rather buy a blue kkl lead rather than mucking around with settings on an expensive vcds lead.

The other option is buying an mpps lead, which is what i have.

I will add that I couldn't get nefmoto or me7logger on my 2001 s3 although they work fine on my 2003 TT. Something to do with the wiring of the k-line from the ecu doesn't go directly to the odb port, but through the cluster. All the stuff working on a bench setup didn't work in the S3, when I plugged into the TT it all worked no issues.

Last edited:
Hi guys new to this and can't find much on ross-tech lite, Can anybody shed some light on whether I can reset the inspection due warning on an A3 2015 8v, as I'm about to perform my own service and oil change, Thanks in advance, Phil

Hi guys new to this and can't find much on ross-tech lite, Can anybody shed some light on whether I can reset the inspection due warning on an A3 2015 8v, as I'm about to perform my own service and oil change, Thanks in advance, Phil

I'd post in the 8V section dude... more likely to get an answer but I believe the newer cars you can reset the service light from buttons on the dash... should be in the user manual

<tuffty/>