What is this part that has fallen off?

allanmb

Reaction score
We have some building work going on at work and they have put up a severe speed bump, in that it is high and almost vertical on either side. I went over it cautiously, but obviously not cautiously enough, and I heard a crunching noise. I looked back and this part had broken off and was lying on the road. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Attachments

• 20190618_125121.jpg
    20190618_125121.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 360
I hate speed bumps... Don't get me wrong, they are there for a reason and I agree, there are enough idiots which need to be slowed down but these speed bumps are ridiculous. My wife works at tescos and they've just installed some... The sport suspensions on my S line doesn't like them at all. I think they're poorly designed as even in 1st gear the suspension makes a noise and the jolt I get... I've complained to them but do they care? No!
I was wondering if driving over them every day even very slowly can damage the suspension?
Thx,

Dan

Speed bumps can be really vicious nowadays

* Raise pollution
* increase noise (whether braking/accelerating or just going through at speed with a ‘thunk’)
* Shorten lifespan of suspension components - which would you choose; being bashed in the ‘nads once or 100 times?

I get the logic of them and as a one-off it’s not going to kill your suspension (which negates people’s claim for damage), but over time that’s a different story.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DanZ
We have some building work going on at work and they have put up a severe speed bump, in that it is high and almost vertical on either side. I went over it cautiously, but obviously not cautiously enough, and I heard a crunching noise. I looked back and this part had broken off and was lying on the road. Can anyone tell me what it is?

If your car is not lowered then there should be no way you are scraping the bottom of your car on a speed hump. I don’t know if the rules apply if the bump is not on a public highway but there are regulations regarding speed humps.

BB9A9551 A3ED 4167 919B 7252CFFF0E32

If it is a private road then the last sentence states that it is ok to use severe speed humps but I still don’t think you should be breaking parts of the bottom of your car unless you were actually going too fast and not crawling over it at near 0 mph which means my reply to this has been absolutely pointless :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Phutters
I have done this a couple of times - once on each of my last cars. We have a large rubber hump in the office car park that can catch them.

each time Audi have just put new ones in at service time and haven't ever charged for it.

Reactions: quattrorally