what is this? and how will it being like this effect my car??

bennibs123

Reaction score
Hello currently had the engine light come on with fuel trim code basicly saying its running too rich. Took the engine cover off and found this. Could this be the culprit and whats the part called so i can get another ? Thinking of replacing all with silicone ones.
Car is 1.8t btw
Much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20140612-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20140612-WA0000.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 257
It's part of the breather system... very prone to deterioration

Could mean that un-metered air is going into the engine but probably unlikely to cause a "system too rich" fault... Either way best to get it fixed or fit a catch can, (guide in the stickys I believe).

Clear faults, see what happens....

It's part of the breather system... very prone to deterioration

Could mean that un-metered air is going into the engine but probably unlikely to cause a "system too rich" fault... Either way best to get it fixed or fit a catch can, (guide in the stickys I believe).

Clear faults, see what happens....

Cleared the fault last week its not come back . But does seem poor on fuel even tho the computer is saying im averaging 35

Careful dude if one pipe has split then more will soon. Better to go the catch can route. Cost me 40-50 quid on total and simplifies everything.

Caused a system running rich code on mine when it split under the inlet mani. I got one of these y pieces for sale unused (silicone) PM me if interested. Personally I would recommend binning the whole system and fitting a catch can instead

Caused a system running rich code on mine when it split under the inlet mani. I got one of these y pieces for sale unused (silicone) PM me if interested. Personally I would recommend binning the whole system and fitting a catch can instead

How much do you want and what is a catch can system ?

Having an oil catch can eliminates a lot of pipe work that is prone to cracking and also stops a lot of oil going back into the inlet

Can't find a pic of the setup on my s3 but have one from when I had my golf
It's not a perfect setup but gives you the idea

y5emyneh.jpg

Reactions: VAG-Slag
okay thanks got one ordered so will fit that when it arrives.