What is the widest rims an S3 will accept?

Nogmeister

Reaction score
So have been mulling over Rota Grid drift or GTR's, but would like to know what is the widest my S3 would accept? Would like a nice concave to the wheel if possible...

Not fussed by staggered fit, as I'd like to retain decent handling.

And would 17" or 18" appear more concaved?

Have seen these ROTA 18" GRID Drift alloys VW Golf Mk4 Audi A3 S3 18x9.5" 5x100 et23 SEAT BBS | eBay which appear to be the right fitment, but 9.5" wide? Is that even possible?

Cheers

Cheers for that mate. I am however after some real world experiences of wide wheels on this motor if possible?

That calculator will come in handy, bookmarked.

if its any help i got 3sdm oo.1s on my s3 with 18x8.5 on front and 18x9.5 on rear no issues with haldex or handling very nice ride overall

I had some 18 x9.5s +8.5 on the front on trial last week, and the arches on the rear ate up the 9.5 no worries, and the 8.5s were perfect on the front. i did try the 9.5 on the front just out of interest on the front, and they would fit but looked strange. I did not keep them on in the end tho due to caliper clearence issues, an i though they looked a bit ott, so i just got some rs4 wheels.

I found this pic of a s3 on the wheels you like and they appear to fit really well tho, the car looks stunning actually.
34zg6r7.jpg

Cheers Oke Phill, do you reckon those Rota's in the pic are 9.5 all round? Does look very mean

Im just thinking aloud as well, surely if you have a 17" x 9.5" and an 18" x 9.5" of the same wheel, with the same offset, surely the concave effect would be more pronounced on the 17" wheel?

So maybe some 17" x 9.5", in gunmetal, nice and low may be in order...

Not fussed by staggered fit, as I'd like to retain decent handling.

Based on past experience, the best size from personal experience is 18" for handling, preferably lightweight ones. 8" width minimum(OEM RSTTs are 18x8), 8.5" should be fine too. I appreciate the looks of staggered wheels, but going for wider rears with tyres to match really does kill the handling of S3's. You would need ET30 minimum to clear the front struts with 8.5" wide rims, the rears is a lot more accomodating!

18s for handling? Here comes everyone disagreeing with that lol.

They sure are limbo!

Right, I think I've settled, bit of a 180 degree turn, but there ya go.

3sdm 0.05's, in matt black, 18" x 9.5" all around, 5x100 et35, wrapped in Vredestein ultrac sessanta. Yep. Just need to find £1082 now lol

Reactions: snagglerat
They sure are limbo!

3sdm 0.05's, in matt black, 18" x 9.5" all around, 5x100 et35, wrapped in Vredestein ultrac sessanta. Yep. Just need to find £1082 now lol

Sounds good still. I like them rims. Just to let you know if you did thai massages with happy endings @ £59 each to 18 punters/ customers you will have your wheels in no time! :)

Though there is obviously the morally correct way of hard work!

Cheers, Siam I mean Sean

They sure are limbo!

sweeeeeet! thats sooo weird there the wheels im after for my s3! i just carnt decide which colour to go matt black or the chrome/silver :s choices choices... unless someone is anygood at photo editing ;)

Ah limbo its an easy choice for me, I have a Nogaro blue S3, and I am currently getting rid of all that is chrome or silver from the outside, so gunmetal or black wheels are the way forward for moi

I have porky rims on mines
18x8.5j on the front
18x10.5j on the rear
Looks the ********

Tyres and ride height are going to be the important thing, if you're low, you'll probably need a stretched tyre

Im waiting for some Koni RSD's to turn up, so a modest 20mm drop all round I think

So what size tyres are you going for?

Real men role 19x8.5" ;)

IMG-20120726-00139.jpg

235/35/19

But I think the wheel style you're going for would look best in a 17 or 18" since they're all about being 'chunky'...

Ryan_W do you know the offsets of the wheels? also are you using any spacers?

I have just ordered a set of 18's which are 9J all round with an ET of 35. fingers crossed i can make them fit

Real men role 19x8.5" ;)

IMG-20120726-00139.jpg

235/35/19

But I think the wheel style you're going for would look best in a 17 or 18" since they're all about being 'chunky'...

Looks a bit like a Q5!

Only joking mate! lol

Haha, cheeky git!

Wheels are ET38 running 15mm spacers on the front and 20mm spacers on the rear, thus resulting in ET23 front & ET18 rear.

Ooo touchy! :undwech:

I may very well go down the 19" route mate, watch this space. And as for the 20mm drop, if you lived on the Isle of Wight you would fully understand. They are the worst roads I have ever driven on. When we got up to 28-30 degrees a week or so ago, the tarmac literally melted!

Like this: Melting roads problem returns

Sub £500 coilovers are not an option, they would be destroyed within 12 months. And I am on a budget lol

They sure are limbo!

Alright mate did you ever get a set of 0.05's? I seriously thinking of getting a set, only in 8.5 front 9.5 rear.

Would I be wrong in thinking the bigger rears would help with the light back end at high speed? Ie extra weight and grip from the bigger contact patch

Just got new ap shocks n poly bushes and it didn't really help it. It's the Isle of Man, all our a roads are like b roads in the UK tho so lots of crests and bumps and we're allowed to do whatever speed we want here cos we have no national speed limit :)

Brining this thread back to life. Would 9.5j et 35 all round fit ? Im looking to get some wide wheels to accommodate my big brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk