What is the speed limiter for S4 in the USA? Is there a definitive answer?

ThatOneDude

Reaction score
I've seen multiple threads on this topic. Some explaining how to deactivate/remove it. Some discuss morality of it.

I heard someone mention on a Youtube review that if your S4 has the 18 inch wheels it has the limiter at like 120 mph but if it is already fitted with the 19 inch wheels then the limiter is 155 even in the USA.

So I am looking through the forums to confirm but here is the question that I am not finding a definitive answer to:

Is there an electronically controlled speed limiter on B8 and B8.5 S4 sold in the US? And if yes, what is the limit?

Thanks

There will be a limiter, I am sure I have read somewhere that some cars are limited to 130 MPH, Something to do with thetyres I think. If it's not 130 it will be 155.
If you are interested in going that fast then get it remapped and unleash the hidden potential of this great engine, and lose the limiter at the same time.

Reactions: TahirS
Is this limiter unique to the S4 in Audi S cars for the USA? I believe the S3 is limited to 155. Seems odd that Audi would put a 130mph cap on a higher class S car because of... tires??? They make a 300+HP 300+ lb ft torque beast of a sedan and then fit tires that can't exceed 130? What about when you buy new tires. What a strange decision. :blink:

Also, I still have not been able to confirm what the limit is for USA S4. The most common answer I'm finding is that people "think" it's 130 mph but nothing concrete.

The Audi 155 limit in the EU is a gentlemans agreement for safety reasons. Mines been removed on my RS4 and Audi state 174+, was removed at the factory but its a £1200 extra.

I'd say don't worry about on the S4 and get it removed full stop after purchase for a lot less then £1200.

Reactions: TahirS
Plenty of places to easily find out if your car will do over 130.....

Try it on your test drive if you can get an extended test drive. They offer that here in the uk for 12 hours

Try it on your test drive if you can get an extended test drive. They offer that here in the uk for 12 hours

I don't hear of that too much in the states. Mostly dealerships in Cali just let you drive it around town for 20 minutes or so, and there is always a dealer rep in the car with you. Then again, I've never really pushed for an extended test drive, so I dunno.

But regardless, I don't really think I would try to bump the speed limiter of a test car in my first day with it. :racer: