What is the sound of the Anti-theft alarm ?

Bittern

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of sound the alarm makes when activated ?. Is it just the sound of the horn or is it a siren ?. It would be handy to know for the future, so I can tell if any scum bag is breaking in and to know the difference from what my neighbours sound like!.

Other than breaking into my own car, is there any other way I can set it off, just to here it ?. Actually come to think of it would lowering the window, locking the car as normal via the key fob and putting my hand into the car set it off ?.

I own a A3 8V TDI

Oh and if Any S3 owners knows what theirs sounds like, please share as it might be the same ?

Open your window, shut your car doors and lock with remote
Wait until red light settles to a consistent steady blink and then put your head/arms through your open window

You'll set off your alarm

Reactions: Bittern
Just tried it with the window down and sticking my arm in and I can confirm it is a very loud high and low pitched siren sound, my ears are ringing now lol

I found this out when changing a tyre . Scared the crap out of me. When you jack the car up, the alarm will sound if the car is locked.

It is it's own alarm, the horn doesn't get used

Can someone post a vid? Don't want the neighbors to give me dirty looks lol

Reactions: Blackwhite
Not sure about the 8V but you could make the alarm louder via VCDS on the 8P. I done it to mine.

The sound is BH Barking madly! :dogface:

Reactions: Simon L, Bristle Hound and Liquidfusion-S3
I had trouble with mine a few months ago. It would go off unexpectedly and I wouldn't always hear it from inside the house. Matters came to a head one Sunday morning when my neighbour was almost beating my front door down to get me to switch the damn thing off. He had been gardening and was being deafened. Every time it happened, the instrument panel was showing that the tailgate was unlocked. Booked it into the dealers, who couldn't find any fault but they replaced the lock and all was well for a while. Then it went off again on a couple of random occasions. The problem then was that we were about to depart on 3 weeks holiday, so I gave the neighbour a key and told him to unlock and then re-lock tbe car if the alarm should go off during our absence. The alarm didn't go off during those three weeks or during the two weeks since we've been back. Fingers crossed.

Mine went off in the middle of the night last weekend, I shot down the stairs and outside....my front dash cam mount had come unstuck and swung down :)

The car has motion sensors inside the car?

It does........when I first got my 8V 2.0TDI I mistakenly locked the car with my son inside while I went to pay for petrol and stood at the cash desk moaning about the noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does........when I first got my 8V 2.0TDI I mistakenly locked the car with my son inside while I went to pay for petrol and stood at the cash desk moaning about the noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So dangerous!
This is why you should always press the lock button twice when leaving people in the car - otherwise they get deadlocked in AND the volumetric sensor sets the alarm off!

In the event of the car catching fire from the petrol pump, say, he wouldn't have been able to get out of the car :(

Guys does the double lock thing work on the 8P as well? What about the buttons on the edge of the door itself, that are on the 8P?

Yes :p

I believe on the 8P there are 2 buttons, 1 to disable the interior volumetic sensors, and the other to disable the tilt sensor (for towing etc.) ? It's been a long time since I went in an 8P !

Reactions: s3_trev
Back to 8Vs - I thought the button on the back of the driver's door was for disabling the interior alarm sensors. Am I getting confused?

I always hammer the lock button a few times to "make sure" it's locked haha, so I should only press it once?

Once if you want to deadlock

Twice if you don't want to deadlock

More times if you're paranoid :D

Reactions: Blackwhite
Back to 8Vs - I thought the button on the back of the driver's door was for disabling the interior alarm sensors. Am I getting confused?

8V has one button - combined disable the interior volumetric sensor, AND disable the tilt/inclination sensor.

Guilty of falling into this category :laugh::laugh::laugh:
and after I have done it - I remember that it disables the sensors, so I unlock/lock the car again to reactivate the sensors !

Reactions: Wondering Soul, Ben Daniel Grant and Blackwhite
and after I have done it - I remember that it disables the sensors, so I unlock/lock the car again to reactivate the sensors !

Never-ending experience! :tongueclosed:

One of the advantages of folding mirrors.
I just press the button once and walk off, having a quick glance to make sure his ears are turning in.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Fox5150
lol - I am also impressed how far from the car that the remote still operates :astonished:
Once walked to the top of tor in the area and could see the car from the car park, happened to lean back on the keys and watched the indicators flash!! Would hate to estimate the distance! That was a 2011 A1!

Once walked to the top of tor in the area and could see the car from the car park, happened to lean back on the keys and watched the indicators flash!! Would hate to estimate the distance! That was a 2011 A1!
A neat trick to try... If your car is out of range of the key, look directly at your car then hold the key right next to your head. It adds a good few metres to the range. Probably gives you a brain tumour as well, mind.

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Simon L

Never noticed this button until it was mentioned here lol. A question, because the 8V has the one button to stop the interior motion, does the same button also stop the tilt motion ?

Something tells me that this is not a feature on every A3.

At least not the ones in the US.

Never encountered such alarm, even when my keyfob got locked in the car's trunk and roadside rescue was unsuccessful at unlocking the doors.

Certain features are EU requirements, some are UK requirements (eg Thatcham).

But I think the alarm should be an option in the U.S.?

edit
I've just looked at the Premium Plus A3 Sedan, it lists Anti Theft Alarm with Immobilizer.

Last edited: