1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What is the sound of the Anti-theft alarm ?

Bittern Aug 27, 2015

1. Bittern

Bittern Registered User

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of sound the alarm makes when activated ?. Is it just the sound of the horn or is it a siren ?. It would be handy to know for the future, so I can tell if any scum bag is breaking in and to know the difference from what my neighbours sound like!.

Other than breaking into my own car, is there any other way I can set it off, just to here it ?. Actually come to think of it would lowering the window, locking the car as normal via the key fob and putting my hand into the car set it off ?.

I own a A3 8V TDI

Oh and if Any S3 owners knows what theirs sounds like, please share as it might be the same ?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. NotNormal

NotNormal Active Member VCDS Map User

Open your window, shut your car doors and lock with remote
    Wait until red light settles to a consistent steady blink and then put your head/arms through your open window

You'll set off your alarm

Bittern likes this.
  4. Bittern

Bittern Registered User

Just tried it with the window down and sticking my arm in and I can confirm it is a very loud high and low pitched siren sound, my ears are ringing now lol

5. MA3RC

MA3RC Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I found this out when changing a tyre . Scared the **** out of me. When you jack the car up, the alarm will sound if the car is locked.

It is it's own alarm, the horn doesn't get used

6. Liquidfusion-S3

Liquidfusion-S3 I fall to peer pressure!

Can someone post a vid? Don't want the neighbors to give me dirty looks lol

Blackwhite likes this.
  7. s3_trev

s3_trev Northern Ireland

Not sure about the 8V but you could make the alarm louder via VCDS on the 8P. I done it to mine.

8. Blackwhite

Blackwhite Registered User

The sound is BH Barking madly! :dogface:

9. wideboybloke

wideboybloke Registered User

I had trouble with mine a few months ago. It would go off unexpectedly and I wouldn't always hear it from inside the house. Matters came to a head one Sunday morning when my neighbour was almost beating my front door down to get me to switch the damn thing off. He had been gardening and was being deafened. Every time it happened, the instrument panel was showing that the tailgate was unlocked. Booked it into the dealers, who couldn't find any fault but they replaced the lock and all was well for a while. Then it went off again on a couple of random occasions. The problem then was that we were about to depart on 3 weeks holiday, so I gave the neighbour a key and told him to unlock and then re-lock tbe car if the alarm should go off during our absence. The alarm didn't go off during those three weeks or during the two weeks since we've been back. Fingers crossed.

10. S32B

S32B Registered User

Mine went off in the middle of the night last weekend, I shot down the stairs and outside....my front dash cam mount had come unstuck and swung down :)

11. s3_trev

s3_trev Northern Ireland

Grenade launcher and machete at the ready lol

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Liquidfusion-S3

Liquidfusion-S3 I fall to peer pressure!

The car has motion sensors inside the car?

14. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User

JohnM100 likes this.
  15. Daveotto

Daveotto Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It does........when I first got my 8V 2.0TDI I mistakenly locked the car with my son inside while I went to pay for petrol and stood at the cash desk moaning about the noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. veeeight

So dangerous!
    This is why you should always press the lock button twice when leaving people in the car - otherwise they get deadlocked in AND the volumetric sensor sets the alarm off!

In the event of the car catching fire from the petrol pump, say, he wouldn't have been able to get out of the car :(

17. s3_trev

s3_trev Northern Ireland

Guys does the double lock thing work on the 8P as well? What about the buttons on the edge of the door itself, that are on the 8P?

18. veeeight

^ Yes, and Yes.

19. s3_trev

s3_trev Northern Ireland

Ok thanks. Regarding the buttons, when you say yes do you mean they work as well?

20. veeeight

Yes :p

I believe on the 8P there are 2 buttons, 1 to disable the interior volumetic sensors, and the other to disable the tilt sensor (for towing etc.) ? It's been a long time since I went in an 8P !

s3_trev likes this.
  21. s3_trev

s3_trev Northern Ireland

Cheers!

veeeight likes this.
  22. driver_tim

driver_tim Registered User

Back to 8Vs - I thought the button on the back of the driver's door was for disabling the interior alarm sensors. Am I getting confused?

23. Scott

Scott Registered User

I always hammer the lock button a few times to "make sure" it's locked haha, so I should only press it once?

24. veeeight

Once if you want to deadlock

Twice if you don't want to deadlock

More times if you're paranoid :D

Blackwhite likes this.
  25. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Guilty of falling into this category :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blackwhite and veeeight like this.
  26. veeeight

8V has one button - combined disable the interior volumetric sensor, AND disable the tilt/inclination sensor.

27. Blackwhite

Me too! Content after the tenth time! :tongueclosed:

28. mfl

mfl Registered User

and after I have done it - I remember that it disables the sensors, so I unlock/lock the car again to reactivate the sensors !

29. Blackwhite

Never-ending experience! :tongueclosed:

30. mfl

mfl Registered User

lol - I am also impressed how far from the car that the remote still operates :astonished:

Blackwhite likes this.
  31. Soulboy

Soulboy Registered User

One of the advantages of folding mirrors.
    I just press the button once and walk off, having a quick glance to make sure his ears are turning in.

Martinbanshee and Fox5150 like this.
  32. Wondering Soul

Wondering Soul Registered User

Once walked to the top of tor in the area and could see the car from the car park, happened to lean back on the keys and watched the indicators flash!! Would hate to estimate the distance! That was a 2011 A1!

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. Muttley75

Muttley75 Registered User

A neat trick to try... If your car is out of range of the key, look directly at your car then hold the key right next to your head. It adds a good few metres to the range. Probably gives you a brain tumour as well, mind.

Wondering Soul and Simon L like this.
  35. Bittern

Bittern Registered User

Never noticed this button until it was mentioned here lol. A question, because the 8V has the one button to stop the interior motion, does the same button also stop the tilt motion ?

36. gamegenie

gamegenie Eazy-E CPT OG from the Otherside

Something tells me that this is not a feature on every A3.

At least not the ones in the US.

Never encountered such alarm, even when my keyfob got locked in the car's trunk and roadside rescue was unsuccessful at unlocking the doors.

37. veeeight

Certain features are EU requirements, some are UK requirements (eg Thatcham).

But I think the alarm should be an option in the U.S.?

edit
    I've just looked at the Premium Plus A3 Sedan, it lists Anti Theft Alarm with Immobilizer.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015