What is the S3's max power with stock internals?

dj_rzn

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the maximum power the APY 1.8T 210HP can handle with stock internals? (I want to change turbo, intercooler, exhaust and intake.. maybe injectors)

People have bent rods on mapped cars at approx 250-260bhp yet people have run big turbo with no issues. 300bhp plus. These are the defo weak point. What set up are you after and whats your desired output. Torque is more worrying as is power spikes. Im stage one and i went for rods.

If the spool is as "gentle" as possible then around 300bhp / 300lb-ft seems to be be the max BUT it is not recommend. Some people have bent rods on similar spec to mine.

As the cars get older this figure is going to be allover the place,I remember 350 being one but that changed quickly.I wouldn't want to guess what exact figure is safe but make sure the engines healthy.

Many years ago the "safe" number was 350bhp infact i had a good mate who had an ihi ibiza running 330bhp and as much torque. Was totally standard. He drove the car extremely hard had it years then sold it on to a friend who also had it problem free a while he had it. A lot has happen while these cars have aged and with more experience with these engines its now more understood that there is no safe number. You can be lucky for sure. But the higher you go the luckier you need to be.if your going for a turbo do rods. Its just not worth the potential hassle and cost. Try and plan your build so you dont do jobs twice (head removals etc) and make it as cost effective as you can.

I was wondering what is the maximum power the APY 1.8T 210HP can handle with stock internals? (I want to change turbo, intercooler, exhaust and intake.. maybe injectors)

Can-Of-Worms.jpg

and

ROD-lottery.jpg

Reactions: StaceyS3, gabin, Vex182 and 6 others
imho rods should be the first mod on a 1.8T if you are planning on running more power long term, you could run big figures on standard internals but the question will then be 'when's it going to go bang?'

For peace of mind and reliability get the rods done, you would of taken away the weakest link and you'll be able to enjoy what ever max power figure you achieve

211bhp

Reactions: Pmol66, Squirrelofdoom, superkarl and 3 others
Realistically depending on power delivery you could say 240bhp and 236 torque as that's what the TT 240 sport came out of the factory with, that's pretty much the same engine/rods/internals.

Yeh I saw that and it made me squirm! Espes when I pull away hard in 1st and you feel that torque.

5th and 6th gear is more lightly to bend a rod, 1st and 2nd gear your pretty safe imho.