what is Audi connect and how much is it and is it any good

sunshinewelly

Reaction score
I have looked on the audi site and it says that its free for the first 3 months then you need to pay. what does it do - does the car have its own built in sim or can you simply use a mobile phone data plan and use the phones sim for the audio connect services.

Yes on the latest MY18 A4’s they come with a built-in sim for Audi Connect. As Audi haven’t worked out what to charge for Connect, they will renew it free for the foreseeable future. Connect will give you things like Google Earth overlay in sat nav, live traffic info and a few other bits and bobs. Yes you can use your own data sim in the car but it’s a waste of money if Audi let you use their sim free of charge (for now at least).

A4's all have a built in sims in the uk for access to the connect services, however the mmi technology pack will have three years free access whereas the sd card based navigation has three months which Audi have been extending year by year.
The connect services provided by each versions are the same.

However there is a difference with what services are available with the myaudi app depending upon the model year and if the car has the SOS system or not.
I do not have SOS thus I should be only to see where the car is parked up and I cannot check if the car is locked or not and other service items such as the oil level are also not available to me...

Last edited:
I cannot check if the car is locked or not and other service items such as the oil leve are also not available to me...
TBH you’re not missing out on much as it takes a good 30 secs or so to lock or unlock the car via the app. IMHO the app is nothing more than a novelty as it’s riddled with bugs atm.

Yes the attributes of the system have been fully discussed elsewhere, its advantages and disadvantages and those who find it useful or not.

For sunshinewelly, if you wish to know if your new car has the SOS please see the photo below showing the location of the SOS module in in the roof headliner overhead consule:
Screenshot 20180726 121520

No sos on mine. Just picked up the car and could not find a sim card but got Google maps and live traffic data on the virtual cockpit So assume its using my phones data

A4's all have a built in sims in the uk
Not true, built in sims were from MY17 onwards. My MY16 car didn’t come with a built in one so I had to provide my own

Reactions: Daggerit
No sos on mine. Just picked up the car and could not find a sim card but got Google maps and live traffic data on the virtual cockpit So assume its using my phones data
The sims card is located within the mmi and you should see two strength bars on the centre display if it is later than a my16 and connected to your phone, only one if you haven't.
IMG 0417

Not true, built in sims were from MY17 onwards. My MY16 car didn’t come with a built in one so I had to provide my own
Apologies, should have put S4 which I believe came into production with the built in sim card. Very early a4's were actually, and possibly accidently, fitted with the sos module...

Reactions: A4B9
If yours is a 2017 then it has a embedded sims within the mmi, both the standard mmi with sd based navigation and the technology pack will both use connect. Remote locking through the myaudi is not part of this but to do with the sos module...

Yes there is an sim slot if you wish to use your own data sim to overide the embedded one for audi connect and wifi hotspot....

I would think it has, the system is no different to any other A4 mmi's but you may need to set it up first. Make yourself a cup of tea, get out the manual and have a good read.

Last edited:
Cheers worked out it does have sim. Must have picked my phone yesterday by mistake.

It asked me to log into a account with cubic telephone. It wanted vin number . There is then options to buy data . I can't fully register sim unless I buy data plan

Is this correct. I assume i don't need to buy data

I assume if i am getting weather updates and news etc that it's working as it should

No you don't only if you wish to use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot. But it would be cheaper to purchase a data sim yourself.
If you can see Google Earth then it's working but it should be registered to you in the MMI connect connection manager...

Is Audi connect working on other peoples cars asked to renew license nearly 3 weeks ago still not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk