What heating settings do you use to quicly heat your car?

In keeping with Aussie humour, I also leave the ac on 21.5 deg auto, but not for the heat.

Currently 32deg C.

iu

Reactions: Blackwhite and sman
Some people on here seem to suffer with the same thought process my g/f does, when wanting to warm something up quickly.

The central heating / oven / car will NOT get to the desired temperature any faster by turning it onto the highest temperature from cold.
It's a thermostat you are turning up, not sodding bars on an electric fire.
It will just get to the temperature you want at the same time - but will then carry on getting hotter.

Actually:

Having the desired temp at 27 (compared to 21) will introduce warm air and bring on the fans earlier into the cabin.

You're changing the gradient curve, so warm air will be introduced into the cabin earlier. Due to the nature of the gradient slope design to prevent overshoot.

*Geek interest
The 8V features a new fanless internal air temp sensor from Preh
http://articles.sae.org/9193/

*Preh have also provided the controls and strategy for Climate Control in the new TT

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulboy and lucas-suisse
So what do we determine is the best setting for use on a cold, frosty morning (inc. demisters) when starting the car?

Press both these buttons (then press AUTO after about 5 to 10 mins)

dOLhv58.jpg

Leave AC on at all times, either in normal or ECO. This will help regulate the humidity inside the car, and minimise foggy and misted windows. Will also reduce the amount of condensation overnight if the air inside the car is drier.

Reactions: cuke2u and CCWS3
I find heated seats are a must especially with leather and a short journey.

I find heated seats are a must especially with leather and a short journey.

Agree. Got to love heated seats. On a cold start, have set the windscreen / rear window clear on with the heated seats on too. I then leave the car on the drive for about 5 minutes and wait in the warm in doors!

The heated seats with no bums on them seem to warm the cabin up just that bit quicker :)

In keeping with Aussie humour, I also leave the ac on 21.5 deg auto, but not for the heat.

Currently 32deg C.

iu
Can go off people very quickly ... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Leave AC on at all times, either in normal or ECO. This will help regulate the humidity inside the car, and minimise foggy and misted windows. Will also reduce the amount of condensation overnight if the air inside the car is drier.
+1 :thumbs up:
http://www.airconditioningforcars.co.uk/ACpage02.htm#GeneralInfo
So it was called Air Conditioning because it conditioned the air by the reduction of the moisture it contained. It is not just the cooling of the air which makes it so comfortable to people but it is the reduction of the moisture content and this is why it is just as important in the warm damp climate of the UK as in the hot but dry climate of central Spain.

I always try to buy / spec cars with climate control over just air con. Make life a lot easier, for me anyway :thumbs up:

Agree. Got to love heated seats. On a cold start, have set the windscreen / rear window clear on with the heated seats on too. I then leave the car on the drive for about 5 minutes and wait in the warm in doors!

The heated seats with no bums on them seem to warm the cabin up just that bit quicker :)

Doesn't the manual say not to use heated seats when there's no one in them?

Lol - does it?

Odd if so - not sure what difference it makes either way. No issues so far and only done it maybe three of four times

Yes it does. On page 81 it says...
Do NOT switch on the seat heating in the following situations:
- Seat is unused
- A protective cover is fitted on the seat
- A child seat is fitted on the seat
- The seat is damp or wet

That's me on the naughty step then....

Reactions: veeeight
Dry the seats out and eventually crack?

Dave
Surely sitting in the seat will heat it up further due to the insulation of your a$$ compared to just having the heated element on so would expect them to dry out and crack sooner if used with someone sitting on them.

I can understand the protective cover and the wet reasons but a child seat or them being empty I'm at a loss as to the reasons behind that.
Maybe incase you heat the seat up so much then sit on it and burn yourself?!? It is the mad old (or should that be new?!) 21st century we live in after all where anyone can sue anyone for anything :hopelessness::hopelessness:

Surely sitting in the seat will heat it up further due to the insulation of your a$$ compared to just having the heated element on

This is why I think the thermostat to regulate the seat temp is calibrated for an a$$ on the seat. If there's no a$$ the heating element might take it over the ideal operating temp as the thermostat is registering a lower temp.