What Headunit recommendations?

DrEvil

Reaction score
Hello all, I currently have a double din standard Concert/Symphony style headunit, non Bose system. (Its in an Seat Exeo ST/Avant, B7 cab A4 interior). My car has steering wheel controls and bluetooth phone calling. It is also connected to audio in lead (near the handbrake) and a USB input in the glove box (although it is picky about file structure etc).

Although it is basic, it has almost everything, but the main thing I would like is to (1) be able to bluetooth music from android phones (2) I've been told that a newer HU would have better output to the existing speakers and bonuses would be (3) DAB and (4) something that looked a bit more modern.

Trying to evaluate the options as whilst an all singing all dancing HU would be great, given you can basically get android auto on your phone and that I find the HU too low for maps, I want something that 'facilitates the phone' and concentrates on sounds quality without blowing the budget.

I realise I can get an audi bluetooth module (which ones would work?), but thought it might be worth looking at e.g. a new pioneer/kenwood/sony etc HU if that improves sounds quality and potentially does DAB too??

Please give me some recommendations, I find the in car entertainment thing quite confusing with so many options!

Last edited:
I was looking into this on my a3 8p. I came across a nice alpine headunit with 8" screen, works with the multi function steering wheel and the display on the dash but the only thing it didn't have on it was DAB :(

That Alpine does look great (if it's not too big) but its a bit rich for me. I think there is the possibility that I may only have this car for another couple of years so don't want to sink that amount of money into it.

Well if I was going new HU, then <£400.

I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to find a bluetooth Bluetooth receiver like this I can wire to the Aux out of sight and powered from tapping the fuse box and then look at a ebay used amp for the front speakers to actually lower the cost right down and tick off items (1) and (2) off my list!