What have you done with your UK tax disc?

Following the 1 Oct UK road tax change what have you done with your paper tax disc?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andyv49

Reaction score
What have you done with your UK paper tax disc following the changes in road tax rules on 1 October. If still waiting for your A3 please feel free to respond for your existing car. Please no posts on pros and cons of the changes.

Interested to see how many have left the disc in the car and how many binned it or hanging on to it for now.

Many thanks

Interesting thread. Head saying bin it but heart saying keep it....a. Grew up with trying to tear the disc away from the perforated edge on the DVLA tearing the actual disc itself. And b. Windshield looks really bare without it!

Reactions: Fox5150 and JohnM100
964819-griffith.jpg

Mine is sitting right in front of me on my desk, still in its holder (Richbrook silver job). Still not decided whether to keep it or bin it... once I removed all the glue from the holder, it does look rather nice! Took the first opportunity to declutter my windscreen though, came out straight away, glue removed and windscreen cleaned again! No trace...

Reactions: Phil-1
Still in the windscreen on mine...

Reactions: Louay
Removed from car, but haven't decided what to do with it!

I went commando first thing on 1 October ! Well, you know what I mean!

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89 and Pulp84
I've just found the Audi tax disc holder that they gave me on pickup day, still brand new... anyone need one and want to buy it? ;)

It's out , the horrible adhesive holder was almost falling off anyway.

Quick clean with white spirit and glass cleaner .

There are people out there who collect old tax discs. A 3 quid tax disc from the 1920's is now worth 800 quid! I'm throwing mine in the back of a drawer, could pay for my retirement at that rate of appreciation...

Apparently if you have one of the last tax discs that you had to cut out yourself (DVLA ran out of perforated paper!) it will be especially valuable.

took it out straight away and put it in the manual booklet holder thingy

My current TT is hopefully going at the end of the month, so I've decided to let the dealer deal with it!
The A1? That's the wife's issue :p

In the bin and screen now clear - I find a windscreen works better the more you can see out of it :D

Mine makes a nice place mat for my desk in work :idea:

Last edited:
Reactions: BGS, J6YAK, Louay and 4 others
I was unsure if I could remove mine so thanks for starting this thread, will be gone in the morning for sure :icon thumright:

I received mine from the dealer today, seems their cutting back with second class post. It got filed under B.

I'm off on holiday to Germany for two weeks in my A3 tomorrow so I've taken out the tax disk but I have my German "Umwelt" disc in it's place in the windscreen. Better than having to have two discs.

Took it off the windscreen on the night of Tuesday 30 September.
I've kept it in the Centre Console though - just in case !!

I'm going to keep mine as a reminder of my first, and possibly last, Audi...

I'm going to get the garage to remove mine. Booked in for tomorrow.

Reactions: Twizzler
What? You've booked your car in to the garage to have your tax disc removed.

Reactions: Dtwm1
Yeah I get the garage to do everything. When I had a 4x4, I used to get the garage to put the mud on it for me as there isn't much where I live in the city.

Sorry but i don't understand what stealer means.

You bought your car from an Audi dealer who ripped you off on price, didn't keep you informed, made a rubbish attempt to prepare your car and then didn't want to know about any problems afterwards! That's what a stealer is ;)

But they are not all like that :)

Last edited:
In the same way that the term "lawyer" gets corrupted into "liar". As a retired liar - er I mean lawyer - I resent that...

This joke used to circulate at one stage of my working life. Imagine you are the first to arrive at the scene of a road accident. All you know is that either a lawyer or a dog has been run over by a car; how do you know which it was? Answer - if it was a dog, there would be skid marks on the road.

Reactions: veeeight
Always keep old documents such as tax discs, service invoices etc etc and pass them on to a new keeper.

I bought my car in May and never bothered fitting it to the car as I knew it was becoming obsolete in October. It's still in the glove box. ANPR wouldn't have picked up the tax disc not being displayed lol

I bought my car in May and never bothered fitting it to the car as I knew it was becoming obsolete in October. It's still in the glove box. ANPR wouldn't have picked up the tax disc not being displayed lol

You got VERY lucky. I know people who have been fined even days before 1st October for not displaying them.

Removed and cleaned windscreen which was annoying due to residue from the glue. Tax disc itself sitting in the glove box in case it's all a trick from the government lol