What have you done today?

there is still a fair amount of work to do, im not sure if i must rechrome the inside of the projector as its turning black and that reduces light output or get some replacement projectors. its all gonna come down to cost at the end of the day. but im definately ditching some stock bits of the headlight and adding a modern twist to it
Funny you should say that at check-in mine none of them have gone black inside yet but the car did break down on Friday lol damn crankshaft sensor again changed it three-and-a-half years ago so again like yourself waiting for parts as I'm going to improve this one by buying OEM and I hope it lasts longer,and put a strut brace in the other day.

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network
b38f5db4a708438c19ac0595d49d27a8.jpg

Last edited:
So took out camshaft sensor as had a G28 code intermittent OEM to expensive :wtf: for my humble pocket waiting on a Bosch one to arrive soonish then im back on the road:thumbs up:

went away on vacay for a week a resort on the other side of the mountain

Vacay1

Vacay

after that once i came back i tackled the broken driver side window on the Agu, its been broken since i bought the car and i have been struggling to get a regulator so i went and bought a complete subframe with motor, for less than what a regulator cost at the dealer

Subframe

considering the damaged state of the centre console on the agu i went ahead and converted/modified the single din pre facelift console into a double din

Doubledin conversion1

Those headunits are crap i only used it as a reference, the plan is to fit an a4 headunit in there like i did on the Agn.
Doubledin conversion 2

and then i came across a damage facelift centre console for R400 (19.51 GBP ) so i will be installing that in the agu now.

Facelift console

fun fact apart from being a partial facelift, ie facelift headliner, visors and having the diagnostics port on driver side etc. my agu might be one of the very last ones that ran of the production line. the build date on the door card is 25-04-2000 (you can see it says PFL on there meaning pre facelift) it also has an oil level sensor (thats factory wired) and canbus clocks

Agu doorcard

in comparison the sunglasses tray on the facelift centre console i just purchased was manufactured on 15-05-2000

Caddy

Reactions: Asim1, S3AMJ and MPH
and a peek at the custom rear bumper i made for the AGN, hopefully i will finish it this year after continous measuring for many months, once fitted i noticed its a few millimetres lower on the left than on the right aaaargh

Agn rear bumper

Reactions: MPH and Asim1
New oil pickup pipe in yesterday supplied by @Tj 0785 thanks again. Car was coming up with minimum oil light. Even though it was full, so sump off 1 rounded bolt and some help from a friend and car feels even better. Also got new mk1 tt alloys for ridiculously cheap so whacked them on today. Tyres are all good only had to change one. Result.

Reactions: hydro s3, MPH, S3AMJ and 1 other person
Finally dragged it out of the garage and fitted the clocks with colour MFA thanks to AR Ditta

Reactions: jojo, hydro s3 and MPH
Not exactly today but this week ish... redid the hardlines on the PC as I swapped the res/pump out from a Corsair hydro-x setup to an EK flat res...

I really need to make a start on getting the turbo on really but times are such that there is not much I can do about that right now... :(

Working from home means I spend a lot of time in my cave... so I get too much time to think about what to mod next lol...
Screenshot 2020 12 11 at 151038
Screenshot 2020 12 11 at 151157
Screenshot 2020 12 11 at 150918

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3AMJ and Tj 0785
Did nothing and sat on my fat *** all day. The fact that I procrastinate and get things done is the only reason why I still procrastinate.

Reactions: yoursixx
OEM style reverse cam for the AGU since i have done this already for the other car many moons ago, it went alot quicker this time, 30 minutes and it was done.

Rc1

The Merger

Rc2

Test Fit (plastic welded and bonded the gaps afterwards, plastic welding wasnt really needed as i bonded the one on the other car and that is still holding 5 years later)

Rc3

Done (i'll wire it up on another day since i know the camera works (tested it before i frankensteined it)
Rc4

Reactions: Asim1, MPH, hydro s3 and 1 other person
Audi S3 8L Virtual Cockpit

This looks interesting..... something for the future! Vdvengineering do a haldex controller as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi S3 8L Virtual Cockpit

This looks interesting..... something for the future! Vdvengineering do a haldex controller as well!

Yeah I seen this on Facebook was looking at the controller when I had my r32

Yeah I seen this on Facebook was looking at the controller when I had my r32

A neat alternative to the HPA controller! No extra screen to clutter the glove box.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Started refurbing a set of headlights original hella I am quite pleased so far! What do you all think opinions welcome? 20210130 164652 20210129 132700 20210129 165456 20210129 163903 20210130 164634 20210130 162539 20210130 162639

Reactions: s3mad_dude, Ian W, hydro s3 and 3 others
Better than brand new, good effort

Thanks @S3AMJ did not take that long considering just had a bunch of bits in a box to start, and done out of lockdown boredom definitely going to do a set and put them on hid led etc

Reactions: S3AMJ
so i went to buy a set of illuminating vents and a battery cover for the agu

and i ended up buying
wings
clocks (lcd needs replacing)
side skirts and blades
tail lights
front and rear bumpers
oh and the vents

for the Super unbelievable price of R6000 (288 Pounds)

andd then i enquired about the double din cage and the guy said i can have it along with the entire centre console with climatronic unit
as well as the washer bottle,the front and rear interior lights, and the clockspring with both stalks for free.

i was speechless

IMG 20210130 210108

IMG 20210130 210200

IMG 20210127 WA00001

IMG 20210130 210023

IMG 20210130 210135

Reactions: MPH
so i went to buy a set of illuminating vents and a battery cover for the agu

and i ended up buying
wings
clocks (lcd needs replacing)
side skirts and blades
tail lights
front and rear bumpers
oh and the vents

for the Super unbelievable price of R6000 (288 Pounds)

andd then i enquired about the double din cage and the guy said i can have it along with the entire centre console with climatronic unit
as well as the washer bottle,the front and rear interior lights, and the clockspring with both stalks for free.

i was speechless

View attachment 215058

View attachment 215060

View attachment 215061

View attachment 215057

View attachment 215059
You know that's how it goes go to buy something small and end up with a result well done mate

Reactions: Dohcwp
i had no intention of buying the bumpers but when i heard what he wanted for them i couldnt say so.

My DV broke.

Yeah, same. I have a spare one from my 2002 S3 that’s not doing anything. You’re welcome to have it as it’s just sat in my toolbox. I know the regular SA postal service is pretty naff even without C-19 but I can courier it to you via TNT or DHL if you need it urgently? No idea what shipping will cost though. PM me if it helps. :friends:

Last edited:
Yeah, same. I have a spare one from my 2002 S3 that’s not doing anything. You’re welcome to have it as it’s just sat in my toolbox. I know the regular SA postal service is pretty naff even without C-19 but I can courier it to you via TNT or DHL if you need it urgently? No idea what shipping will cost though. PM me if it helps. :friends:

thanks guys but i immediately sourced an Aftermarket Topran one, as the dealer quoted 3 week delay from audi in germany

IMG 20210208 183531

Reactions: Asim1 and s3mad_dude
Picked up a nearside aluminium mirror in quite good condition 7 pin auto diming anybody got a driver's side knocking about?
0c07e9fd8e7e28b6d256d5a5a78c9b65.jpg
be1db3afbab85ed7a39055a901d226d1.jpg
09b4ad31045381fb0518ea53967f7887.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ToughlilT, Asim1 and s3mad_dude
Niiice - can you add a pic of the glass please! Are those definitely from an 8L instead of another S car of the era. Only reason I say is I didn’t think it was an option in the UK that’s all. Nice work but good luck finding the matching mirror! I reckon that’s going to be like looking for unicorn poo!

Niiice - can you add a pic of the glass please! Are those definitely from an 8L instead of another S car of the era. Only reason I say is I didn’t think it was an option in the UK that’s all. Nice work but good luck finding the matching mirror! I reckon that’s going to be like looking for unicorn poo!
Yes definitely from the 8L the glass is just the heated element version not auto dimming but the plug is there see the pics anyway.
d18a4034b9934a697a5dc915bb2be655.jpg
ea0bfd73cf88f4c6ae55b169c1b34923.jpg
7a85099c5d98e3b47a31a124cf6fddc9.jpg

d9e49e822df6923db47566dc653e5b34.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ToughlilT and s3mad_dude
Wonder if there’s a third party mirror glass with auto dimming feature on it. That would be sweet.

Yes definitely from the 8L the glass is just the heated element version not auto dimming but the plug is there see the pics anyway.
d18a4034b9934a697a5dc915bb2be655.jpg
ea0bfd73cf88f4c6ae55b169c1b34923.jpg
7a85099c5d98e3b47a31a124cf6fddc9.jpg

d9e49e822df6923db47566dc653e5b34.jpg

had a look at some part numbers and looks like facelift auto dimming glass is 8D0 857 535 AK (Left) 8D0 857 536 BD (Right) could be wrong though, after just wiring my auto dimming rear view i noticed that 2 pins off that went to either side for the auto dimming. I thought these never came with auto dimming wings so i didn't run wires for those 2. Im guessing it just sends a 12v to them and then it's just grounding with the other wire. is it just running 2 wires from the main plug to the smaller plug for the glass? also does that smaller plug have a part number on it?

had a look at some part numbers and looks like facelift auto dimming glass is 8D0 857 535 AK (Left) 8D0 857 536 BD (Right) could be wrong though, after just wiring my auto dimming rear view i noticed that 2 pins off that went to either side for the auto dimming. I thought these never came with auto dimming wings so i didn't run wires for those 2. Im guessing it just sends a 12v to them and then it's just grounding with the other wire. is it just running 2 wires from the main plug to the smaller plug for the glass? also does that smaller plug have a part number on it?
From what i can make out the mirrors auto dim from the rear view mirror here's a close-up of the plug part number.
455eb0ce90a08bf54e6108b9957c883f.jpg
6e6e064df7ec53b9f3c40051baee528d.jpg

Reactions: ToughlilT
From what i can make out the mirrors auto dim from the rear view mirror here's a close-up of the plug part number.
455eb0ce90a08bf54e6108b9957c883f.jpg
6e6e064df7ec53b9f3c40051baee528d.jpg

cheers, wasn't the easiest to make out because of the wear but found the plug 443 906 231, I think I might order a couple plugs from TPS and then just be on the lookout for some of those auto dimming side mirrors. to help with looking for those mirrors Audi A6/A6Q/RS6 C5 ally mirrors are the same shape as 8Ls and looks like those P/Ns cover that model as well

cheers, wasn't the easiest to make out because of the wear but found the plug 443 906 231, I think I might order a couple plugs from TPS and then just be on the lookout for some of those auto dimming side mirrors. to help with looking for those mirrors Audi A6/A6Q/RS6 C5 ally mirrors are the same shape as 8Ls and looks like those P/Ns cover that model as well
Just a heads up to anybody thinking of flatting back the alloy wing mirrors to remove stone chips scratches etc, they appear to be plated alloy, And so the best option would be a replate or rechrome depending on your individual requirements.
da857937ebc65369588167998c15ab03.jpg

0554d9a957c8d3c6b2e517c1fee65d84.jpg
0f8a2da837f795cc46934f2db99bb637.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dohcwp and ToughlilT
installed the new dv, i also installed the illuminated facelift vents last week, makes a quite a difference.

Flv

also gave the AGN some much deserved attention and installed a new speedo and cam position sensor, still getting a short to ground error on the cam sensor so i will have to check the wiring

Reactions: s3mad_dude and MPH
installed the new dv, i also installed the illuminated facelift vents last week, makes a quite a difference.

View attachment 215697

also gave the AGN some much deserved attention and installed a new speedo and cam position sensor, still getting a short to ground error on the cam sensor so i will have to check the wiring
The vents definitely help to set off the cabin one of my favourite little mods.

Nothing. It’s to cold and I can’t be bothered. I haven’t touched my A3 for months. It needs a good wash and a clean inside.

Nothing. It’s to cold and I can’t be bothered. I haven’t touched my A3 for months. It needs a good wash and a clean inside.

The weather supposed to be improving next week so I'll get ready

Reactions: Phil-1
The vents definitely help to set off the cabin one of my favourite little mods.

i havent wired it up yet since i havent installed the facelift double din yet and then i'll just source power from the ashtray like i did with the agn

i havent wired it up yet since i havent installed the facelift double din yet and then i'll just source power from the ashtray like i did with the agn
Connected mine to the dimmer on the headlight switch if I remember correctly I've the footwell lights connected to the ashtray LED and have removed the cigarette lighter in favour of a voltmeter/ twin USB fast charger the on-off switch type as the cigarette lighter is permanently live in the AGN

Connected mine to the dimmer on the headlight switch if I remember correctly I've the footwell lights connected to the ashtray LED and have removed the cigarette lighter in favour of a voltmeter/ twin USB fast charger the on-off switch type as the cigarette lighter is permanently live in the AGN

on the facelift ashtray there is onlyone 3 pin plug, i tapped directly into the led wires of the ashtray i think, and i also need to figure out how to get the clocks to illuminate on ignition, the VDO clocks in the AGN does it but the Jaeger clocks in the Agu only lights up with the light switch, and i cant change anything in vcds