1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done today?

jojo Nov 17, 2013

1. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

You put it back together like that?!?
    Jeeeesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hydro s3 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. tcg

tcg Well-Known Member

Might be a useless suggestion mate,but have you tried warming up the engine a bit then trying to undo them?

4. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

yeah I took the head off like that too, they are hundreds of ££ - it's just an old piece of junk on the drive I use for a laugh, what will the indents do on the head, as I was told it was scrap when I originally changed the head gasket and noticed this - that was 18 months and 12K ago? the pistons had a couple of scratches but no indents, and the bores looked clean, amazing amount of force to cause that to the head.

The engine was already hot when I was trying to remove the plugs, but like I said these two cylinders I am sure always get too hot, I assumed it was because it was running lean, original stage 1 map and extra flow - so I got the second ECU and FMIC - but I wonder if it is the head damage.

5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

The rough indents and protruding points will provide enormous hot spots and cause pre ignition. Temps through the roof and misfires galore. Those things can be fixed, welding and skimming.

6. Stuart B

Thanks Karl, so that probably explains why the extra heat on those cylinders. its interesting you say it can be repaired as someone mentioned a place near me in St Albans I think the guys who sell the V6 Turbo kits and worked with the chinafolds a few years ago. but as with everything with this car, the cams would be removed the valves would need replacing etc etc etc. a week later a million quid bill.

all I did was smooth over a bit and remove the carbon from the valves - oh and put mr muscle oven cleaner everywhere

7. Stuart B

First breakdown recovery in 17 years. Brake fluid warning followed by clutch pedal to floor. Damn it. Some nice gentlemen helped me push the car across 3 lanes of motorway.

8. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk Team Ming Blue Audi S3

Thats a **** start to a day. Not really a good time of year for a breakdown either. Hope you get it sorted soon.

9. Stuart B

pretty sure it is related to me fixing the leaking caliper before the MOT in November - I wonder whether the bolt has started leaking again, the clutch felt a little low last night on my way home - I just assumed it was nearing end of life.

10. hydro s3

So i emptied my catch can this afternoon and i was surprised how much gunk came out after only being on for about 5 months. I will have to start checking it more often i think.
    Screenshot_2017-12-16-17-04-36.png

11. tcg

tcg Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I prefer mine with milk and no sugar :yum:

hydro s3 likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. hydro s3

Is that a bad sign or just normal?
    This is the 1st time ive had a catch can and emptyed one.

14. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Normal imo. 5 months is a reasonable time to accumulate that

15. hydro s3

Thanks superkarl. Good to know

16. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

Thought I’d take my S3 out the garage after 2 years of slumber, just to turn the engine over! Lol

Fired up easy with 2 year old V-Power in the tank!

Attached Files:

RickyB, andrew_wright and superkarl like this.
  17. MfkerHR

MfkerHR Member

IMG_2139.JPG

Tinted my back windows and black smoke wrap stop lights

18. Erikn89nl

Erikn89nl Well-Known Member

If you're looking for visual 'upgrades', try looking into facelift rear lights. They look a lot more modern. Same goes for the headlights (there's actually a groupbuy going on for a set of excellent bi-xenons).

19. samurai

samurai Well-Known Member

Today I completed my last major project this year. Me and my project caled Grinch we wish you happy christmas hollydays
    [​IMG]
    ,,, next year will be fun and mostly green .... lol

tomjol and IanPG like this.
  20. hydro s3

Nice colour mate

21. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

77715160-8C62-4259-851A-BF9C50D77C70.png Was looking in to folding mirrors came across these immaculate condition couldn’t resist Cost Me double the last ones I bought and ended up selling. if she finds the receipt I’m dead

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    warren9022 likes this.
  22. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Genuine ones are like a brushed aluminium not chrome... maybe the seller polished them as genuine covers should be made from aluminium iirc...

Lots of plastic looky-likeys out there

<tuffty/>

23. Tj 0785

Yeah I double checked that with him people just seem to refer to them as Chrome
    It’s the 1st thing il be checking anyway

24. Tj 0785

Am I right in thinking the plastic look alike just click over and the original will have part number stamps on the inside

25. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Not something I have looked into myself but I believe the aftermarket ones are replacement covers not clip over as all the gaps would be taken up and the mirror wouldn't fold...

UPDATE... just spoken to a mate who had genuine mirrors... they should be made from alloy, not clipped on and lacquered

<tuffty/>

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  26. Tj 0785

Cheers I will do a small scratch test don’t want to brake the glass trying to look behind for a part number

27. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

The look a likes are made by InPro and are pretty damn good quality imo. Old ones are held in by clips and two screws underneath, copies clip and screw in similarly.

That guy is definitely flogging InPro chrome covers.
    Iirc they only cost me ~£60. First thing I bought my car as matter of fact

28. tomjol

tomjol Active Member

I've got original genuine mirrors, admittedly they've suffered 15 years of wear and tear but I don't think they could ever have been that shiny. Can compare if you like.

29. Tj 0785

If that is the case then they will be going back

30. Tj 0785

I’ve found the part number online so il check them over

31. tcg

tcg Well-Known Member

Just remind her that they are a reflection of her beauty :yes:

I remember trying to get my mirrors that shiny when I first got my S3,definitely not happening here.

Hope you get it sorted mate,don't want your S3 to end up as an 'Static Art Installation' :blink:

32. Tj 0785

They might be shiny but they ain’t magic ha , if they ain’t genuine I’m covered through PayPal anyway

33. Avatar

34. s3mad_dude

s3mad_dude Noggies ruuuule!

You'll know as soon as you pick them up. The original mirrors are machined out of a single block of metal and have strange machining marks inside. Also the genuine aluminium wing mirrors weigh a tonne compared to mirrors with a plastic housing. They're proper heavy. I had both genuine mirrors on my Pre-facelift S3 and Facelift S3, and I'm sorry to say, but they didn't look like yours in the photo :-(

35. Tj 0785

I no I had a set a few months ago and sold them just wait and see worst case they go back

36. S3JACKSON

S3JACKSON Active Member

These are the genuine covers, one of the options i added to my car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tj 0785 likes this.
  37. Tj 0785

Are they brand new or been polished looking at them and the back of the others they look ok but you all go me paranoid now haha

Attached Files:

38. S3JACKSON

S3JACKSON Active Member

Not new and brushed aluminium not chrome, they are still available, part number 8L2858499 DZ ZZ and 8L2858500 DZ ZZ £370 last time i checked

39. Tj 0785

He says chrome in the ad but when I spoke to him he said genuine aluminium il just check the marking

40. tcg

tcg Well-Known Member

Hope it's not a case of 'smoke and mirrors' :blink:

Sorry mate,couldn't resist that one :blush:

41. Dohcwp

Dohcwp Setting the Standard Team Silver Audi A3

picked these up last night, Seller said the pcd is 5x100 i really hope it is, havent really had time to check yet.

$_20.JPG

Initially i wanted to fit a set of porsche twist style alloys or a set of r8 v8 reps, but lately i've really started to like the bbs style look on 8l's so i've decided to take the plunge on these, the tires are shot though so that needs replacing and the rims does look straight.

mr_pepps likes this.
  42. mr_pepps

mr_pepps Member

In the summer I changed the brakes on the rear of my 1999 1.8T. Here's the before and after.

Attached Files:

43. Tj 0785

Yep they fake!! No weight in them
    Whatsoever so removed the glass and scratched the inside of the casing and the finish came away!! Seller insists that they are genuine and that all genuine ones are chrome plated and not Aluminium because you would have to polish them all the time if they were. He says he told me they are genuine chrome and he not having it that the genuine ones are aluminium.Had a bit of a heated conversation with him on text but have also messaged him though PayPal asking for the return address in case I need to open a disputed

IanPG likes this.