What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

colour does make a big difference though.
US spec S4 V8 which had the DTM bumper as factory fit.

looks a lot better than UK spec DTM item, same item though.
Dtm33

Reactions: boffin486 and tr7
cleaned up the anthracite oz's and they do look really good, just a shame they get lost on my black bus with black tyres.
probably one of the best colours for them to be honest off the car.
still need to be sold now .
View attachment 257792View attachment 257793

That style of OZ will is just a great looking wheel, both colours you have look awesome.
I'd be intrigued to see what they look like in gold too against a dark car.

Fitted a new inlet cam .
Decarbonise inlet valves ( not that bad actually
Toying with fitting inlet manifold deflap kit at same time as I have a different manifold ready … what are pros and cons ????

Ohhh and fitted ecs snub engine mounts as well . . ****** car is brand new at the front with new shocks springs etc etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faeeb5b284c569058af897d4fe9d8d34.jpg

Pollen ,air filter ,pulled the plug on the swimming pool under the battery and started making access for the decat

Gonna also be removing swirl flaps while I’m making access to the exhaust side egr blank

Well folks, haven't got any Audi news but thought I'd share some Pics of the Alloy wheels on my (ahem) Mercedes which I just had refurbed with New tyres.
My Uncle who had the car before me seemed to have hit every single Kerb he ever came anywhere near!
A WORLD of difference! Had it done locally & very pleased with both the results & the price. When I can afford some more new tyres, The Original Ronals off the Audi will get the same treatment! :thumbs up:

Battered wheel (I uprated the front brakes to bigger Calipers & drilled/Vented Disks)
Merc Wheel Battered

Refurbed Wheel
Merc Wheel Refurbed

Full Set
DSC 1093

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Fully
It is amazing how well alloys can be brough back from the brink.
very smart.:icon thumright:

did you sort out your clonking on the front end ?

Hi Rob - Yep, very pleased with the wheels & No, still got the elusive (and very annoying) rattle. Sounds for all the world like a completely collapsed bush with metal to metal contact - literally rattling like bolts in a can!
I can't find anything wrong - Both upper arms are new, the strut & spring are the ones I got from you, I replaced the drop links about a year ago - I can't find anything loose & all bushes appear to be OK when tested with a lever. :grumpy:

Last edited:
gave the old bus a shampoo and set and also noticed black grease spots on the offside front rim, closer inpection revealed even more spattered on the inside of the rim.
looks like a new cv joint gaiter time again....blast it.

• Sad
Reactions: Fully
May have to invest in a set of OE ones this time around, the plastic ECP ones are just useless, the OE ones appear to be of a more rubber-based material so much more flexible.

The boots that came with my most recent CV joints are nice & flexible so hope they will last OK. Getting fed up with doing CV Joint replacements......

Reactions: Charlie Farley
The boots that came with my most recent CV joints are nice & flexible so hope they will last OK. Getting fed up with doing CV Joint replacements......
After a look at Audi parts and cross ref with others such as autodoc the construction material does vary, with ones having an elastomer content being more expensive and look to be a better part .

Just on that note chap, did you replace the whole shaft assembly or just the cv joints ?

I fitted a pair of units from autodoc last year , not been overly impressed with the quality, they were both marked with the same p/n but L&R are different lenght assemblies, they were corrected in the end but still not impressed.

Sounds for all the world like a completely collapsed bush with metal to metal contact - literally rattling like bolts in a can!
Are you sure it's not your A/C compressor pulley - that can get awful noisy like that. Wheel bearing too can be noisy but it's a different sound, horrible scraping and rasping.

New (to me) S-line scuff plates came today. Happy with their condition, a few scuffs but no worse than the original ones I'm replacing.

IMG 1133

IMG 1135

I've given them a good clean and applied some CarPro PERL trim dressing to add contrast, and they've come up really presentable. Will hopefully be fitting them later this evening!

Reactions: Rob Avant, tr7 and Charlie Farley
New (to me) S-line scuff plates came today. Happy with their condition, a few scuffs but no worse than the original ones I'm replacing.

View attachment 258460
View attachment 258461

I've given them a good clean and applied some CarPro PERL trim dressing to add contrast, and they've come up really presentable. Will hopefully be fitting them later this evening!
very super swanky and deluxe.:yahoo:

Reactions: NM07
45da3230051df076414a3dc3d5749f4a.jpg

Inlet and Exhaust side egr blanked off ,egr pipe removed (hot side)
Hot side was a pig of a job ,these engines in an a4 do not lend themselves to easy access

• Love
Reactions: B7Tourer and NM07
All fitted! They're not perfect, but I'm happy with them. Adds a bit of colour to the door shut area, was just a sea of silver on silver before.

IMG 1136

IMG 1139

IMG 1137

IMG 1138

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpeg
    IMG_1136.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: Rob Avant, B7Tourer, tr7 and 2 others
45da3230051df076414a3dc3d5749f4a.jpg

Inlet and Exhaust side egr blanked off ,egr pipe removed (hot side)
Hot side was a pig of a job ,these engines in an a4 do not lend themselves to easy access

Great job, diesels always seem so much happier with the EGR removed. Trying to figure out what engine you have, looks like a 3.0 TDI to me with the DPF/cat being against the firewall?

Reactions: Jamsmoo
Yes chap ,3.0 asb
Pre cat ,one of the attractions was this is dpf prep so dodged those issues
Seems to spool up better now the turbos not sharing exhaust output with the egr
Booked in for custom dyno tune and egr delete
Also gear box service and remap on that

• Love
Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
Yes chap ,3.0 asb
Pre cat ,one of the attractions was this is dpf prep so dodged those issues
Seems to spool up better now the turbos not sharing exhaust output with the egr
Booked in for custom dyno tune and egr delete
Also gear box service and remap on that

Oh wow, I didn't realise there was a version of the A4 with the 3.0 TDI and no DPF, you've done really well there. With a map and proper EGR delete in software it will be a pleasure to drive and effortless torque.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Jamsmoo
Oh wow, I didn't realise there was a version of the A4 with the 3.0 TDI and no DPF, you've done really well there. With a map and proper EGR delete in software it will be a pleasure to drive and effortless torque.

Yes I was surprised,it was advertised as having a dpf ,I asked the seller for a pic of the service book codes. Happy to see 7gn (dpf prep) also had this confirmed by Audi before I bought it ..I didn’t mention this in negotiations

Reactions: B7Tourer, NM07 and Charlie Farley
sometimes it is best to be a need-to-know situation. :thumbs up:

Reactions: B7Tourer and Jamsmoo
0d15e1737b6eb06b2bc2598b6c069183.jpg

Scooped up my refurbed cast13 ,bronze was never gonna work on lava grey like it did on garnet red

Reactions: Rob Avant, B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
0d15e1737b6eb06b2bc2598b6c069183.jpg

Scooped up my refurbed cast13 ,bronze was never gonna work on lava grey like it did on garnet red

nice to see you have a full set of 5.
look great , i bet they are a real pain to clean though.

Reactions: Jamsmoo
nice to see you have a full set of 5.
look great , i bet they are a real pain to clean though.

Yep total pita,was important to me to have 5 as these aren’t made anymore (with matching tyres)
They worked in bronze on the garnet red but were so wrong on lava grey
011e177edcb7fd71d273482589514e54.jpg

Reactions: Rob Avant, quattrogone, B7Tourer and 2 others
so much better silver .
I think it has to be silver or close as shade on dark paintwork cars .

Reactions: Jamsmoo, B7Tourer and NM07
Yep total pita,was important to me to have 5 as these aren’t made anymore (with matching tyres)
They worked in bronze on the garnet red but were so wrong on lava grey
011e177edcb7fd71d273482589514e54.jpg

Wow the silver wheels look fantastic, suits the lava grey really well :icon thumright: Beautiful B7

Reactions: Jamsmoo and Charlie Farley
having been down the dark shade alloy wheel colour route i would not go there again, has to be silver as the contrast is so important .:icon thumright:

Reactions: Jamsmoo and B7Tourer
This is exactly the route I want to go now - economy remap, egr blanking. After 5 hour+ drives up and down to Glasgow and seeing my shiny exhaust turn black, I've decided after being anti delete, that smoke has to go, although I've never noticed it and the car runs very sweetly since oil pump/cambelt change. Although only a humble 140PD, never having a DPF is another reason to keep hold too. I would have looked for a 3.0TDI, if I'd known they came without too - great engine! First though I have the little matter and big expense of having the suspension overhauled, about a grand from the same people who did a brilliant job on the pump - Straightline Performance, Malvern. Are garages reluctant to do the EGR blanking, these days?

Reactions: tr7 and NM07
This is exactly the route I want to go now - economy remap, egr blanking. After 5 hour+ drives up and down to Glasgow and seeing my shiny exhaust turn black, I've decided after being anti delete, that smoke has to go, although I've never noticed it and the car runs very sweetly since oil pump/cambelt change. Although only a humble 140PD, never having a DPF is another reason to keep hold too. I would have looked for a 3.0TDI, if I'd known they came without too - great engine! First though I have the little matter and big expense of having the suspension overhauled, about a grand from the same people who did a brilliant job on the pump - Straightline Performance, Malvern. Are garages reluctant to do the EGR blanking, these days?
Great choice, you certainly won't regret it. Have a read of my response to Tim's other thread here, has all the information and parts you need, as I did the same to my PD 140:

I would highly recommend deleting the swirl flaps too, they can be a real pain when they fail, and not worth the added complexity.

In my experience, garages don't seem to blink twice at blanking an EGR, assuming the vehicle has no DPF — that's when they become much more reluctant. Be aware that our engine's (BRE) can sometimes behave very oddly if you blank the EGR without having it disabled in software too. Mine sometimes lost all power (though wasn't in limp mode), check engine light, and generally wasn't happy until I had it disabled in software too.

After being on the fence about a stage 1 remap for a while, I've decided to go for it. Going to get it booked in towards the end of the month. Only after a stage 1, not looking for maximum performance, just a bit of extra grunt.

Reactions: tr7
Cheers for that. I've seen some very flimsy blanking plates and that's put me right off, but those look the ticket.

In my experience, garages don't seem to blink twice at blanking an EGR, assuming the vehicle has no DPF — that's when they become much more reluctant. Be aware that our engine's (BRE) can sometimes behave very oddly if you blank the EGR without having it disabled in software too. Mine sometimes lost all power (though wasn't in limp mode), check engine light, and generally wasn't happy until I had it disabled in software too.
Cheers mate! Good to know. I'm not looking for stage 1 personally. I know the engine is good now, for it. But the clutch/dmf and turbo, are as far as I know original and still good. I'm allowing for having to replace either at some point but I'm not convinced standard replacements are up to stage 1 torque, for sustained use either. I'm looking at an economy remap, which is about 15-20% more power and torque. I drive like a grandad these days anyway ha ha, it would be just nice to have even better economy and a little more oomph in low gear. The guys where I'm taking can map out the EMS for the EGR too, which is essential to me also.

Cheers for that. I've seen some very flimsy blanking plates and that's put me right off, but those look the ticket.

Cheers mate! Good to know. I'm not looking for stage 1 personally. I know the engine is good now, for it. But the clutch/dmf and turbo, are as far as I know original and still good. I'm allowing for having to replace either at some point but I'm not convinced standard replacements are up to stage 1 torque, for sustained use either. I'm looking at an economy remap, which is about 15-20% more power and torque. I drive like a grandad these days anyway ha ha, it would be just nice to have even better economy and a little more oomph in low gear. The guys where I'm taking can map out the EMS for the EGR too, which is essential to me also.
To my knowledge the DMF and clutch will have no problems with stage 1 power and torque, however the turbo's on the BRE are quite small, which is good in that it allows them to spool up very early in the rev range, but they don't have loads of overhead in terms of tuning. From my research, a typical stage 1 on our engine will take power from 140hp → 170hp (+30hp) and torque from 320nm → 390nm (+70nm), however this is stretching the stock turbocharger. My mapper does not use generic maps, and does each map to suit the car and the owners wish, so I'm going to ask for 160hp (+20hp) and 370nm (+50nm). Sort of a stage 0.75 really :laugh: The injectors, turbo, clutch and DMF will have no problem sustaining that, but will give a good improvement to drivability.

Last edited:
Reactions: B7Tourer
Dropped my car off to the body shop today to have the wing lip rust sorted, and the front bumper repainted. Nigel is also kindly clear cornering my headlights, and swapping over my halogen lenses as they are in much better condition. Should be looking very sharp when I get it back, hopefully at the end of the week. Very excited :happy:

Reactions: tr7, Stu_b7 and Charlie Farley
Dropped my car off to the body shop today to have the wing lip rust sorted, and the front bumper repainted. Nigel is also kindly clear cornering my headlights, and swapping over my halogen lenses as they are in much better condition. Should be looking very sharp when I get it back, hopefully at the end of the week. Very excited :happy:
should be looking Concours after that. :yes:

• Love
The old wagon has been back in the garage again… new starter motor.
It’s been temperamental for a few months now, picking and choosing when it wants to start.
It decided to fail completely whilst out for lunch on the wife’s birthday a few weeks ago.
Needless to say she wasn’t impressed.
On the plus side, managed to get a decent price for the paint work that needs doing, all booked in now for mid October.

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley