What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Well first this next weekend the respray of the new driver's wing, because I'm not happy with it, together with the plastic sill cover, since washing chemicals have made the paint perish slightly. Then when I next get some free time off intense work (July sadly), it will be going for the precautionary KMB oil pump installation - nothing wrong with it and at 230K, I must be truly lucky but I very much doubt that such an ordinary B7 has had it done - so I can truck on for another 230K ha ha. At the same time I reckon it will be sensible to do the cambelt/water pump again (done 60K ago), so she'll be ready for Europe again.:Black B7:
Sounds good! I did replaced the hex key in mine with the updated KMB unit, it only had 93k on when I had the job done but was advised that anything over 100k can be dangerous on these engines so it was best not to take the chance. I've heard stories of cars with as low as 50k miles have had them fail and kill the engine! Luckily my hex key was near perfect when it got swapped out with the uprated unit, but nice to have peace of mind nonetheless.

Reactions: B7Tourer
I'm sure the bus knew you nearly sold it Rob so it's trying to get back into your good books :smiley: That's good MPG for a TFSI, my last B7 had the BUL and I struggled to get into the 30's unless I was on cruise at 60mph

Mine does that, I swear, every time I thought of selling her, she drives so smoothly and effortlessly, even refraining from smoking her non DPF *** off. And every time I spoil her with improvements she amazes me for a 16 year old 'bus', ha ha.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
To be fair to the old bus, all things considered, it used to be ok consumption wise even after a few remaps.
Things went a bit tits up when I fitted the 034 HFC which did have a noticeable effect on consumption, it sort of calmed down when that came off only to take a dive again with the full decat downpipe.
now back with the OE cat it is a bit more user friendly on the fuel cost.
It was to be expected that fueling would go out of the windows with any kind of free-flowing cat or non-cat system, so self-inflicted really..lol

Even with the most recent remap, the low end has improved with the OE cat-back on but the midrange has dropped noticeably whereas with the full decat pipe on low end was lacking a bit but the midrange was excellent.

Until I have implemented a cunning plan to get a setup through the MOT within emissions the OE cat is staying on .

Reactions: NM07 and B7Tourer
I'm sure the bus knew you nearly sold it Rob so it's trying to get back into your good books :smiley: That's good MPG for a TFSI, my last B7 had the BUL and I struggled to get into the 30's unless I was on cruise at 60mph
Ah, so your previous B7 was either a DTM or special Ed 220 then, why the change to the current flavour?

Sounds good! I did replaced the hex key in mine with the updated KMB unit, it only had 93k on when I had the job done but was advised that anything over 100k can be dangerous on these engines so it was best not to take the chance. I've heard stories of cars with as low as 50k miles have had them fail and kill the engine! Luckily my hex key was near perfect when it got swapped out with the uprated unit, but nice to have peace of mind nonetheless.
Yes I can't understand why mine has lasted this long - I've sent an email to KMB with the Vin number - but I have no records, and as I say no reason to believe it has been done in the past. Just hope I last till July now (gulp) - I thought range anxiety was for EVs ha ha

Ah, so your previous B7 was either a DTM or special Ed 220 then, why the change to the current flavour?
Special Edition 220 Quattro was my last one.

2020 09 29 150928

It was a truly great car, but I never bonded with it properly like I have with my current one. It was higher mileage at 125k, and was what I would call a 10 footer. I did my utmost to make it as nice as I could (the above photo was taken on it's good side!), but the closer you got, more marks became apparent (being black certainly didn't help that), which really irked the perfectionist in me... If I was ever going to keep it long term, I would have had to give it a full respray for my OCD to be 100% happy with it, and at that point it made sense to sell it and pick up a replacement car with lower miles in better condition.

And I know I'm in the minority on this preference, but I much prefer diesel engines over petrol, and regretted the TFSI pretty soon after I got it, wishing I'd have gone instead with the TDI from the start. My last car was a Peugeot 406 with the 2.0 HDI engine, and while this was certainly a good amount faster, I just missed the way the diesel behaved, and especially missed the MPG!

Much like my current one, it never wanted for anything mechanically. In my ownership I made sure the cam follower was changed regularly, did the cam chain + tensioner soon after I bought it, and only ever ran it on Fuchs Titan Race Pro-S 5w-40 oil. Mechanically it was very sound (and didn't have the suspension clunk like my current one does!), but unfortunately for someone like myself that likes to have things visually perfect, it was never destined to stay with me for long.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rob Avant, Charlie Farley and B7Tourer
Special Edition 220 Quattro was my last one.

View attachment 254643

It was a truly great car, but I never bonded with it properly like I have with my current one. It was higher mileage at 125k, and was what I would call a 10 footer. I did my utmost to make it as nice as I could (the above photo was taken on it's good side!), but the closer you got, more marks became apparent (being black certainly didn't help that), which really irked the perfectionist in me... If I was ever going to keep it long term, I would have had to give it a full respray for my OCD to be 100% happy with it, and at that point it made sense to sell it and pick up a replacement car with lower miles in better condition.

And I know I'm in the minority on this preference, but I much prefer diesel engines over petrol, and regretted the TFSI pretty soon after I got it, wishing I'd have gone instead with the TDI from the start. My last car was a Peugeot 406 with the 2.0 HDI engine, and while this was certainly a good amount faster, I just missed the way the diesel behaved, and especially missed the MPG!

Much like my current one, it never wanted for anything mechanically. In my ownership I made sure the cam follower was changed regularly, did the cam chain + tensioner soon after I bought it, and only ever ran it on Fuchs Titan Race Pro-S 5w-40 oil. Mechanically it was very sound (and didn't have the suspension clunk like my current one does!), but unfortunately for someone like myself that likes to have things visually perfect, it was never destined to stay with me for long.
I appreciate your thinking chap, it does look rather nice all the same.
I think personal preference very important to the individual and you opted to move to something you prefer which is fully understandable.
What works for one may not for another.
Now if the special ed above was a diesel special ed and in the condition etc of your current version that may have been a good option. :yes:

I still like the first one aswell.

Reactions: NM07
That's exactly it Rob, I know a lot of people would say I'm mad going from the 220 TFSI to the 140 TDI, but it's what I prefer! But I can also fully understand why the majority prefer the TFSI, having owned one myself and seeing how good they are as well :yes:

Like a lot of the Special Edition car's it seems, it was missing a lot of options that I think should have been standard on the SE. It didn't have cruise (which I retrofitted), ambient lighting, floor lights, door lights, or xenons, though it did have the RNS-E (which I would have replaced with a modern Apple CarPlay / Android Auto unit had I kept it long term, like I have in my current one, as the RNS-E was very dated). As such, after the retrofits done to my current one, the interior is a far nicer place to be than the black one and far better equipped now :smiley:

My ideal spec car (if it existed!) would have been a TDI 140 SE saloon, specced with all the options yours has Rob - however TDI SE's were only available in 170 guise which were unfortunately burdened with a DPF, unlike the 140's which only have a catalytic converter. I know I could have simply gutted it and mapped it out, but with MoT checks tightening on cars factory fitted with DPF's, I didn't want the worry. Also, in my experience, the 170s are much more lethargic lower in the rev range due to the larger turbocharger required for the higher power naturally taking longer to spool, and that definitely made them feel less spritely in terms of in-gear pulling power at low revs compared to the 140. But as this ideal specced car does not exist from factory, I'm slowly but surely retrofitting my current one to get to my ideal B7 :)

Reactions: B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
I had thought about the 3.0 TDI as an option too, an absolute torque monster, however the super-complex cam chain setup that practically requires engine-out to replace put me off, and also had the same DPF issue as the 170.

Reactions: tr7
My ideal spec car (if it existed!) would have been a TDI 140 SE saloon, specced with all the options yours has Rob - however TDI SE's were only available in 170 guise which were unfortunately burdened with a DPF, unlike the 140's which only have a catalytic converter. I know I could have simply gutted it and mapped it out, but with MoT checks tightening on cars factory fitted with DPF's, I didn't want the worry.
This may be very contentious but I am dead against EGR and DPF deletes, though I do not frown on or judge anyone who wishes to do so. The fatal knife is in for the diesel and all ICEs to an extent and the more we do these things the more we kill the things we love and help them twist that knife. It is stupid I know but they are determined to handicap every natural advantage of a technology that has still much development potential. Euro 6 and soon to be Euro 7 diesels are a far cry from Dieselgate and the technology exists for many otherwise finely serviced and maintained cars to continue more cleanly. It is not ideal or desirable for us to hamper performance in any way but there should be a way to live with these cars for people who cannot afford EVs, if we play our part 'responsibly'.

Wow, sorry to see that mate :sadlike: I've never seen a cracked crank on these, what power are you running?

Indeed, Sorry to see that mate.

That's absolutely gutting. Is yours modified?

Not good at all chap, to much boost by some chance or lubrication issues leading to metal fatigue
That's going to be a big hit on the wallet too.
best of luck with it .

So I've been mulling over what to do about whether to clear corner mod the xenons before they go in at the end of the week. I've decided I want to do the clear corner mod, but rather than replacing them with the clear lenses from my current headlights, I'm instead going to do a lens delete. Here is an example (though I will be leaving the chrome front piece unlike this one):

IMG 0698

I prefer this look to the clear lenses as it makes the indicator section look more consistent with the DRL section, the DRL reflector is domed inwards without a lens so in my opinion it fits more consistently with the design language of the rest of the headlight.

Reactions: tr7 and Greeny233
Wow, sorry to see that mate :sadlike: I've never seen a cracked crank on these, what power are you running?
I have a revo2+ at 190k +meth, rebuilt the bottom end a few years ago, when i spun a shell from oil pump failure and had the crank reground to within a thou of its life so i thinks its probably the weakened crank +over stock power although still only a k03.

Thats not a power related issue iny opinion. That might be related to heat or previous damage. Thats not damage I've ever seen or heard of. Did you have bad rod knock? Was there any other damage? Sorry to see that happen man.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Thats not a power related issue iny opinion. That might be related to heat or previous damage. Thats not damage I've ever seen or heard of. Did you have bad rod knock? Was there any other damage? Sorry to see that happen man.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Im in the process of breaking it down, i agree the route cause is from previous undetected damage and its given up finally, if it was stock it might of lasted a bit longer but hpw much who knows. No bad rod knock, just almost like a rattle when the dual masses give up is the way id describe it.

Im in the process of breaking it down, i agree the route cause is from previous undetected damage and its given up finally, if it was stock it might of lasted a bit longer but hpw much who knows. No bad rod knock, just almost like a rattle when the dual masses give up is the way id describe it.
Don't beat yourself up. It was running fine, just making some noise!
5b5f6b6c27dc70abf469582b84da099c.jpg
b66ca631fc3bcbda39870780c0a37829.jpg

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

Wow you did a good job on them piston's donfero.
Just got the TWO cranks out of the bottom end. Split on the 2nd rod from front, all the shells have about 22k miles on them too

Attachments

• 20220524_105932.jpg
    20220524_105932.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 20220524_105844.jpg
    20220524_105844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 20220524_105817.jpg
    20220524_105817.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 69
So I've been mulling over what to do about whether to clear corner mod the xenons before they go in at the end of the week. I've decided I want to do the clear corner mod, but rather than replacing them with the clear lenses from my current headlights, I'm instead going to do a lens delete. Here is an example (though I will be leaving the chrome front piece unlike this one):

View attachment 254817

I prefer this look to the clear lenses as it makes the indicator section look more consistent with the DRL section, the DRL reflector is domed inwards without a lens so in my opinion it fits more consistently with the design language of the rest of the headlight.
Yeh please don't black them out.

Interested to see how they turn out. Didn't even know this was a thing

Yeh please don't black them out.

Interested to see how they turn out. Didn't even know this was a thing
Don't worry lol, I won't be :smiley: I know it's to some people's tastes, but I personally really like the chrome accents in the light. They're not overdone and look really good!

Will certainly post pics once they're in. Phase 1 of the xenon install should be done by the end of the week (that's getting the lights wired in), then phase 2 will be auto levelling once the loom comes in.

Not with the old bus but i'm having a nightmare with my V8 , really struggling with oversize bearings/pistons & rings and the crank needs a regrind....arghhhh
At least the block is not too bad but need a rebore due to scoring that wont hone out.
IMG 4928
IMG 4932

Reactions: B7Tourer, Sidrick and tr7
Part of me really likes the idea of buying blown BUL car and rebuilding the engine my self for the project

Fear is though it'd break my heart and or turn into a performance build with ££££ money

But got the itch and need a good excuse to buy some more tools..

The wagon is off the road for the moment, at least until I can get the IC pipe work sorted. Luckily the GTI is now road worthy :racer:

Attachments

• 81F02374-47A0-4D1A-9686-607D13C0A381.jpeg
    81F02374-47A0-4D1A-9686-607D13C0A381.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Love
Reactions: NM07, tr7 and Charlie Farley
Stage 1 of the xenon conversion is done :yahoo: Massive thanks to @NHN for his fantastic work today, beyond pleased with the result.

IMG 0732

IMG 0739

IMG 0725

And a bonus wide angle shot for good measure :laugh:

IMG 0734

Remaining bits for the project:
  • Wire in DRL switch
  • Wire in headlight washer pump
  • Mount + wire levelling sensors
  • Split the headlights to remove the amber indicator lens cover
  • Replace the outer lenses with the ones from my old halogens, as they are in better condition
  • Install new bumper supports and adjust to close gap between bumper and bonnet

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Avant, tr7, B7Tourer and 1 other person
Stage 1 of the xenon conversion is done :yahoo: Massive thanks to @NHN for his fantastic work today, beyond pleased with the result.

View attachment 254911
View attachment 254916
View attachment 254918

And a bonus wide angle shot for good measure :laugh:

View attachment 254917

Remaining bits for the project:
  • Wire in DRL switch
  • Wire in headlight washer pump
  • Mount + wire levelling sensors
  • Split the headlights to remove the amber indicator lens cover
  • Replace the outer lenses with the ones from my old halogens, as they are in better condition
  • Install new bumper supports and adjust to close gap between bumper and bonnet
A bit more done then, good stuff. :yes:

Wonderful condition S-line (always a credit to the owner as well as the car) and a very worthwhile upgrade! DRLs alone make these cars much more modern appearing I think. I can't justify the cost on my 'old bus' (copyright Rob), so I have the poor man's alternative, coding of Nordic (both front and rear DRL) through OBDEleven.

Reactions: tr7, NM07 and Charlie Farley
Two more little things today:

The rear bumper load protector is self explanatory, I would link but I bought the last one on ebay from a UK source, however they are made by a German company, if you Google. A bit pricey - 60 quid but, very useful and practical I believe and has hid a couple of gauges on the lip.

The other picture is of sound deadening for the engine cover. The Old Goat (excuse the Old Goat reflected in the paintwork too) is very smooth and quiet, especially from inside, for an oil burner but the B7 2.0l TDIs are the only Audi's that don't come with factory sound insulation underneath that plastic cover, and I am curious to see if it makes any difference, from outside.

Oh and I saw a couple of S-line Avant B7s in Bromsgrove West Midlands, today, whilst getting her cleaned - the most I have ever seen in one day for a while - one a metallic blue 57 plate, that I was right behind and the other Phantom Black pearl like mine, passing the other way, forget the year - both very good condition but dirty ha ha. Any of you guys?:friends:

Last edited:
Two more little things today:View attachment 255211View attachment 255213
The rear bumper load protector is self explanatory, I would link but I bought the last one on ebay from a UK source, however they are made by a German company, if you Google. A bit pricey - 60 quid but, very useful and practical I believe and has hid a couple of gauges on the lip.

The other picture is of sound deadening for the engine cover. The Old Goat (excuse the Old Goat reflected in the paintwork too) is very smooth and quiet, especially from inside, for an oil burner but the B7 2.0l TDIs are the only Audi's that don't come with factory sound insulation underneath that plastic cover, and I am curious to see if it makes any difference, from outside.

Oh and I saw a couple of S-line Avant B7s in Bromsgrove West Midlands, today, whilst getting her cleaned - the most I have ever seen in one day for a while - one a metallic blue 57 plate, that I was right behind and the other Phantom Black pearl like mine, passing the other way, forget the year - both very good condition but dirty ha ha. Any of you guys?:friends:

They do come with insulation under the engine cover. It just disintegrates!

Only ever saw one in good shape after 10 + years

The rest all were already gone or if partly there, they perished with the slightest touch or god forbid you get it wet. Then it just destroys it and leaves a mess over your engine

Anyway, what did you buy of interest? link?

They do come with insulation under the engine cover. It just disintegrates!
Are you sure tr7? Every one I looked at on ebay was clean underneath, like mine, as though there had never been anything, whereas those for A3s all had the disintegrating rubber you mention. It's called GlassMAT Engine Insulation car bonnet high temperature sound proofing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262309262075

Last edited:
Are you sure tr7? Every one I looked at on ebay was clean underneath, like mine, as though there had never been anything, whereas those for A3s all had the disintegrating rubber you mention. It's called GlassMAT Engine Insulation car bonnet high temperature sound proofing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262309262075

See even here

you’ve never saw one as they’ve all perished!

See even here

you’ve never saw one as they’ve all perished!
This product has a tin foil layer on the outside that will hopefully help it avoid falling all about the place. And since they were designed to have insulation in the first place, it must help. Just as they tried to save a few pennies on the lower B7 models by not including the plenum cover and the others (screenwasher/abs cover and A/C cover), I though maybe they were doing the same with this insulation. I've ordered the plenum cover and have the ecu cover to go with it plus the right hand side cover. So I'll report back when they're fitted.

What I can't find is the right hand fitting kit, for the right hand cover or the A/C kit at all - I have the part numbers but nada anywhere - does anyone know where I might get them?

A lot of B7 parts are now becoming unavailable as new from Audi so unless you find the part as NOS from a seller it may be a used item i'm afraid.

A lot of B7 parts are now becoming unavailable as new from Audi so unless you find the part as NOS from a seller it may be a used item i'm afraid.
Yes Rob, didn't even bother with Audi, still waiting on the 1st aid kit! Happily though the right hand bit above the screen wash sits well without mounts.

Took the lad to pick up his first car today
Told him he could have any manufacturer but if he wanted my help it had to be vag .Can’t have him starting off on the wrong foot
IMG 0989

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Greeny233 and NM07
Hi Folks, not been around much lately but I have been doing stuff to the Old Jalopy - spent the last few weekends fitting the Bilstein/H&K suspension I got from Rob (CHEERS Rob!! :icon thumright:) & also freshening up my front Calipers as well as replacing the rear ones.

Original Front coilover strut (which I only fitted in 2018)
Old Coilover

Old N New struts - note the broken rear spring lying alongside them (both were broken in exactly the same place)
Old n New

Bilstein/H&K strut assembled with new standard upper Arms (mounted at correct angle - the adjustable ones consistently destroyed their outer ball joints as the boots kept getting split - don't know why)
Bilstein assembled 1

Replacement strut fitted
Bilstein fitted 1

H&K rear spring with Bilstein shock fitted
HK  Shock

Old N New Rear Caliper
Rear Caliper Old n New

Front Caliper repainted/refreshed
Front Caliper Repaint 1

And that concludes my latest shenanigans..........
Except....... I have sold my B6 Audi Avant - it will be put back on the road by the new owner Yay!

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Farley and tr7
Hi Folks, not been around much lately but I have been doing stuff to the Old Jalopy - spent the last few weekends fitting the Bilstein/H&K suspension I got from Rob & also freshening up my front Calipers as well as replacing the rear ones.

Original Front coilover strut (which I only fitted in 2018)
View attachment 255348

Old N New struts - note the broken rear spring lying alongside them (both were broken in exactly the same place)
View attachment 255349

Bilstein/H&K strut assembled with new standard upper Arms (the adjustable ones consistently destroyed their outer ball joints as the boots kept getting split - don't know why)
View attachment 255350

Replacement strut fitted
View attachment 255351

H&K rear spring with Bilstein shock fitted
View attachment 255352

Old N New Rear Caliper
View attachment 255353

Front Caliper repainted/refreshed
View attachment 255354

And that concludes my latest shenanigans..........
Except....... I have sold my B6 Audi Avant - it will be put back on the road by the new owner Yay!
Exactly the work I think on the cards next for mine.

Is yours TFSI or TDI?