What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Such a weird naming / numbering convention from Audi there :laugh:
That's Audi for you, over-engineered in all depts inc part number system, well they have soo many options and shared across platforms which vary depending on the destination market, they have to keep track of it somehow, it's easy once you know how. :yes:

Sun was out again today so a good chance to whizz over the old bus with a pre-mot check .
Decided to get it done a few weeks earlier this year and got a test on Monday afternoon.
Spent a while checking all the obvious bits and all seems ok, well from my perspective, whether the tester agrees remains to be seen..lol
also had a go at tidying up my dinged nearside front OZ rim, well its better, I won't say it's ideal because it's not but I can live with it until I get a decision from the highways dept.
Hopefully, give it a shampoo and set tomorrow.

happy days

Reactions: NM07
Sun was out again today so a good chance to whizz over the old bus with a pre-mot check .
Decided to get it done a few weeks earlier this year and got a test on Monday afternoon.
Spent a while checking all the obvious bits and all seems ok, well from my perspective, whether the tester agrees remains to be seen..lol
also had a go at tidying up my dinged nearside front OZ rim, well its better, I won't say it's ideal because it's not but I can live with it until I get a decision from the highways dept.
Hopefully, give it a shampoo and set tomorrow.

happy days
Fingers crossed for your bus Rob :) Good idea on the pre MoT wash, I always do the same, for some reason I always think they're more likely to pass if they're clean :laugh: Post up some pics when you're done :yes:

Mine passed the other day thankfully, advisory for a weeping front shock but happily that was all that was on the list! Good for another year now

Did a thorough de tarring on mine today, the sills and painted sections had a lot of build up from the previous owner so out came the tar remover and managed to get it all off. Looks lots fresher, chuffed with the result.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Yeh de-taring is underrated. I did some last week and finally got round to removing a ton of excessive lithium type white grease from the door hinges/sills which was driving me nuts.

Clean door jams make such a surprising difference

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
Yeh de-taring is underrated. I did some last week and finally got round to removing a ton of excessive lithium type white grease from the door hinges/sills which was driving me nuts.

Clean door jams make such a surprising difference
Yep mine had loads of excess white lithium grease on the hinge area too, I'm sure the last owner just plastered it on in hopes they would never have to do it again :sweatsmile: Naturally gathered loads of dirt and ended up looking really gross. I ended up using my steamer and APC to bring them back to new, makes such a difference

IMG 4301

I always use Wurth HHS 2000 on the hinges, it's amazing stuff, it contains a solvent carrier that allows it to spray out as a liquid, so it can reach all areas of the hinge, but the carrier then evaporates leaving a nice coating of transparent lubricant behind. Works a treat :icon thumright:

61VeAp5HuYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So the old bus has passed another Gov "health Check" this afternoon and without any advisories or glitches, happy days for another 12 months. :yahoo:

Reactions: Sidrick and Rob Avant
£108 to fill the old wagon… crazy business! I’m sure it was about £70 when I first bought it
6B96BDB6 3FE4 47FC B86A 5171B8DEEB68

Wowcher that's a bit steep Rob, but hey on the upside you did get 1p off, but yes totally agree it's a bonkers situation and as much as everyone says it will go down , i can't see it going down any time soon .

Prices really are crazy for fuel at the minute. I filled mine up on the way back from work today, for the first time in my life I paid over £2 per litre. £2.019 to be exact for Shell V-Power Diesel... :sob:

• Wow
Oh and the new rear discs and pads that I had fitted last week by the garage are both binding... Parked up at work this morning and a small amount of smoke was coming from both back wheels. Fml. I knew something was off as my MPG is normally 65 when cruise is on at 60 mph, today it was 30. :sadlike: Going back Thursday...

• Sad
Oh and the new rear discs and pads that I had fitted last week by the garage are both binding... Parked up at work this morning and a small amount of smoke was coming from both back wheels. Fml. I knew something was off as my MPG is normally 65 when cruise is on at 60 mph, today it was 30. :sadlike: Going back Thursday...
Not good news on the rear brakes, B7 rears are normally pretty reliable too.
Any indicators they were binding prior to the new items being fitted?

Not good news on the rear brakes, B7 rears are normally pretty reliable too.
Any indicators they were binding prior to the new items being fitted?
None at all. Rear discs and pads were old and crusty, but performing just fine. Wanted to freshen things up a bit back there as I did fronts not too long back. I doubt I could have gotten near the 65mpg I was getting before if they were binding, so must have been ok :frown new:

My best guess is that either the slide pins have some corrosion further up that has become apparent now the thicker new discs and pads are in, or perhaps there is some dirt or a bit of a lip where the piston sits inside the cylinder? Think I'm gonna have to replace the discs and pads again, all this heat can't have done them any good.

Am I wrong to be a touch disappointed with the garage for not checking this before they gave the car back to me? If it's binding to the point it's nearly halving my MPG and smoke is coming off the pads after a journey I can't help but think that should have been spotted before it came off the ramp, or at least on the test drive after the work was done.

They're lovely people, the garage is normally absolutely brilliant and I've have never had a single complaint about them, but this has left me a bit frustrated.

I did my best to keep the tea flowing in my gaps between work! I'm a coffee man through and through though so my tea making skills are a bit lacking, but I did get a compliment from Nigel on the tea today so I must be improving! :laugh:

Nigel has kindly sourced the xenon headlamps for me and I've got them here, part number:

View attachment 254293

I've had a google and can't work out if these are the adaptive versions or not! I'm not particularly fussed either way as what I'm most interested in with this swap is a) looks and b) improved light output, but if these did have it then that would be the cherry on the cake!

Just on a side note chap, do you have DRL's fitted?

Am I wrong to be a touch disappointed with the garage for not checking this before they gave the car back to me? They're normally absolutely brilliant and I've have never had a single complaint about them, but this has left me a bit frustrated.
I'd be having words with them, just because they have been spot on prior, there is always a first time to get poor service.
I most certainly wouldn't be paying for new discs/pads, down to them to be honest as they should have checked the piston for correct operation also handbrake drag and any other sliding components, it is not a difficult job and not that time-consuming.
The fault is clearly in their dept and they should rectify it at their expense.

Appreciate the input Rob, I will chat to them and hopefully they do the right thing. I've spent a lot of money with them, so I'm hoping the will look after me. The discs and pads only came to roughly £90 inc VAT so I hope they apologise and take this one on the chin.

Yep, show them you are not happy one bit , which you're not.

That's why I rarely take anything to a garage unless it's beyond my skill set. I just don't trust garages having been ripped off many years ago, I have learnt the hard way.
At least I know what has been done and how, and worse case if I made a messup up I can only blame myself..lol

Just on a side note chap, do you have DRL's fitted?
I've got one of these in too in prep for the xenon retrofit which should be starting (I hope) this week depending on Nigel's availability :yahoo:

IMG 0506

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
We have a happy B7 again! :smiley: It went back to the garage today for inspection, and it turns out the mechanic had already cleaned and inspected the caliper when the job was first done. The slide pins were still moving freely, the piston wound back and returned without trouble, but even after a second cleaning and reassembling it was still binding on both sides. From what I could gather, the handbrake mechanism on the calipers themselves were not fully letting go, which wasn't a problem on the old worn thin discs and pads, but with the brand new fat discs and pads it just wouldn't release enough to spin fully freely. Two new callipers and it's driving like a dream again, took it out for a good blast to celebrate. It brakes so much better now, so I'm wondering if the old calipers were actually doing much at all...

Just the xenons to go now and then I'm putting the saloon on a diet from my wallet for a while :sweatsmile:

Reactions: tr7, Charlie Farley and Rob Avant
Unhappy B7 here unfortunately…
Seem to have a big air leek on the IC pipe work. Have tracked it down to one of the joins and I’ve lost one of the clips that holds it together. Thinking about, I’ve stupidly not tightened them up for a long time.
Should be an easy fix but my new driveway is on a slope so I can’t get under the car quickly and easily now :sob:

Sorry to hear that Rob, at least it should be a cheap and simple fix though!

We have a happy B7 again! :smiley: It went back to the garage today for inspection, and it turns out the mechanic had already cleaned and inspected the caliper when the job was first done. The slide pins were still moving freely, the piston wound back and returned without trouble, but even after a second cleaning and reassembling it was still binding on both sides. From what I could gather, the handbrake mechanism on the calipers themselves were not fully letting go, which wasn't a problem on the old worn thin discs and pads, but with the brand new fat discs and pads it just wouldn't release enough to spin fully freely. Two new callipers and it's driving like a dream again, took it out for a good blast to celebrate. It brakes so much better now, so I'm wondering if the old calipers were actually doing much at all...

Just the xenons to go now and then I'm putting the saloon on a diet from my wallet for a while :sweatsmile:
Good news indeed chap. :yes:
Handbrake mechanism partial seizure is a regular one on B7's, hence why I mentioned it before and it does get overlooked when replacing pad/discs, so the problem just gets worse.
Great that they have sorted it out now, not at your expense though i hope.

Unhappy B7 here unfortunately…
Seem to have a big air leek on the IC pipe work. Have tracked it down to one of the joins and I’ve lost one of the clips that holds it together. Thinking about, I’ve stupidly not tightened them up for a long time.
Should be an easy fix but my new driveway is on a slope so I can’t get under the car quickly and easily now :sob:
Not a good day then Rob, hopefully an easy fix, it's surprising how smaller an opening you need to create a big air leak.
best of luck with it.:yes:

I think your wallet will thank you for reduced B7 spending, they do tend to drain funds at an alarming rate sometimes.
I keep trying to convince myself it is worth it, but sometimes I'm not convinced to be honest. :yes:

Once the xenon's are in, that's the last thing on my list of "wants" for the car (you can see the list in my signature :laugh:). After that, it will just be a case of routine servicing and maintaining it to keep it in on the road for as many years as possible!

Nearly sold the old bus this morning, probably the closest yet too, luckily I engaged brain and it’s still, here bit of a close call.

• Wow
Oof what's going on there Rob, must have been a good offer to get you close to selling?!

Very good and normally I’d have accepted, but it’s not always about the money.

Really glad the bus is still with you Rob, we can't lose our leader from the B7 clan!

It’s a bit like those old worn shoes we all have, a bit leaky sometimes and not as shinny as they used too be and well overdue to be replaced , but they are just so comfy and fit just right so why replace them with something new and it’s back to square one again.

Reactions: Rob Avant, B7Tourer and NM07
A very small thing today, in fact it's probably the cheapest thing you can buy from Audi, but at last I think I have found a use for that small space - perhaps it was always meant to be and I just didn't know. Excuse the dust, interior cleaned tomorrow and I will be doing more significant things in the near future:friendly wink:
IMG 20220521 200335

Reactions: Charlie Farley and NM07
A very small thing today, in fact it's probably the cheapest thing you can buy from Audi, but at last I think I have found a use for that small space - perhaps it was always meant to be and I just didn't know. Excuse the dust, interior cleaned tomorrow and I will be doing more significant things in the near future:friendly wink:View attachment 254598
That's a perfect fit, nice little touch! What do you have lined up for the future? :)

Reactions: B7Tourer
It's been a long time since i had this sort of economy from the old bus when just local non-motorway driving. :yahoo:
IMG 4909

• Love
Reactions: B7Tourer and NM07
That's a perfect fit, nice little touch! What do you have lined up for the future? :)

Well first this next weekend the respray of the new driver's wing, because I'm not happy with it, together with the plastic sill cover, since washing chemicals have made the paint perish slightly. Then when I next get some free time off intense work (July sadly), it will be going for the precautionary KMB oil pump installation - nothing wrong with it and at 230K, I must be truly lucky but I very much doubt that such an ordinary B7 has had it done - so I can truck on for another 230K ha ha. At the same time I reckon it will be sensible to do the cambelt/water pump again (done 60K ago), so she'll be ready for Europe again.:Black B7:

Reactions: Charlie Farley and NM07
It's been a long time since i had this sort of economy from the old bus when just local non-motorway driving. :yahoo:
View attachment 254613
I'm sure the bus knew you nearly sold it Rob so it's trying to get back into your good books :smiley: That's good MPG for a TFSI, my last B7 had the BUL and I struggled to get into the 30's unless I was on cruise at 60mph

Reactions: Charlie Farley and B7Tourer