What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

No, they are springs, I'm no expert on coilovers but I think the idea of having two springs is that one controls the ride height more effectively than just compressing the main spring, make sense if you think about it.

Hi Rob - they look quite similar (though prettier) to the JOM set I fitted a couple of years ago. But now I am getting an annoying rattle from the front end that I can't locate - none of the bushes seem loose or damaged but almost every bump I hit, small or large, makes the alarming 'Knackered' rattle. Very frustrating. I recently actually raised the front about 10mm as I couldn't get over speed bumps anymore....... :sadlike:

View attachment 244805

Top mount ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re helper springs aren’t they? For small bump control, they take the initial hit before the big boy has to get involved. Creates a more controlled ride as you have two different spring rates which will act at different speeds/forces.

Often OEM springs will have a section of the coil closer together and then spaced far apart in the overall length to create a similar effect.

Springs really are wonderful things

Reactions: Charlie Farley
They’re helper springs aren’t they? For small bump control, they take the initial hit before the big boy has to get involved. Creates a more controlled ride as you have two different spring rates which will act at different speeds/forces.

Often OEM springs will have a section of the coil closer together and then spaced far apart in the overall length to create a similar effect.

Springs really are wonderful things

Yes , that's the word i was thinking.
spot on explanation chap, i bow to superior knowledge....:icon thumright:

Reactions: Bobbytea
Well, it would appear my initial excitement was premature .
I was looking at them today and they didn't look quite right, I was sure my order was for variant 2 coilovers , these are Variant 1 and the part number confirms.
I've checked back at my invoice and I did order and pay for Variant 2's.

So that's a pain to put it mildly.
I could send them back and wait for replacements but knowing my luck that would then take months, or I could just contact the retailer and get a refund of the difference and keep them, it's the OZ wheel mess up all over again... :sob:
Why can't sellers get it right first time round....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it would save so much end-user hassle etc.
Do I need Variant 2, probably not in all honesty but that is not the point, I might just keep them and use the cashback for something else.View attachment 244802
I have the same shocks, but how come i dont have the small springs?? Im jealous!!

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

I've just had a quick read up on helper springs and there seem to be several purposes for them.

I've just had a quick read up on helper springs and there seem to be several purposes for them.

Yes I just had to go and refresh my memory too! Haha

Helper spring it to keep the main spring correctly located under full droop situations.

As you say! Everyday is a school day. Understanding adjusted.

Indeedy, it's good to refresh the memory banks sometimes, i just need to do it more often these days..lol

Reactions: Donfero and Bobbytea
I went to measure a crankshaft journal diameter I'm overhauling last week, got out my micrometre and i'd forgotten how to read the darn thing, what am i like.lol
it all came back after a few mins but the initial lack of knowledge threw me. :shrug:

Top mount ?

Yes Jamsmoo - standard top mount modified (with some careful grinding) to allow Adjustable Upper arms (for camber correction) to be used.

Adjustable Arms fitted

Not sure how the helper springs would work though - they must be even stronger than the main spring (in spite of the thickness) to avoid simply fully compressing with the weight of the car on them?
:blink:

Last edited:
Hi all, pick my car up after having my front bumper resprayed because some AH decided to spray the front of my car with expanding foam. luckily the radiators escaped otherwise that would be a small fortune I bought an RS4 grill had it wrapped only to find out it won't fit. I also had my headlights refurbished and they look great and replaced the lower grilles with honeycomb ones will post some pics up when I get the chance
The grill has been put up for sale in classifieds

Hi Glen .
If it was a genuine RS4 grille it should have fitted no problem.
What was causing the problem with it?

Just seen your advert Glen, thats is not for the S-line bumper so wont fit the S4 etc.
It's a non sline .

Had my rear brake hoses changed today, for stainless braided ones.
Attempted to do it myself, but there was no way the hose to pipe nut was coming undone. And I just daren't risk cracking the pipe on my driveway.
A change to Automec silicon brake fluid is on the cards next.

Yep unfortunately that's the issue Rob. Shame because it's a nice looking grill.
Sadly there are only a few that fit, rs4 OE and maybe two aftermarket ones and they are like hens teeth .
99.9% of the "aftermarket " rs4 grilles are not rs4 fitment which is the same as s-line, so are not deep enough to fit.

Nothing on an upgrade or maintenance front, but I did have a nice trip down to the new forest today in the old bus, and I must say it's been a while since I've done a 300-mile trip the same day for pleasure purposes.
The old bus performed impeccably without any issues, it's not until you do a long drive with time to really enjoy it that you get a real sense of how well a car really goes.
Fuel consumption was better than expected and on long motorway bits, it was a real pleasure to enjoy a decent comfortable drive.
For all those out there that say you need a new car to get the best from driving, you're talking rubbish, my almost 15-year-old bus is as good if not better than so many other new cars on the road, it's the best day out in my old bus I have had for some time.....hurrah for the old bus. :yahoo: :yes:

have a good one chaps.:thumbs up:

Reactions: boffin486, Bobbytea, Pie-eyedpiper and 3 others
Completely agreed Rob, I went upto the lakes and onto Scotland last year with the mrs, two MTB’s in back and luggage.

Managed a 37mpg each way and cruised along with ease all the way. Hurrah for the avant!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Pie-eyedpiper
Attempted to change my brake fluid today, for silicon.
Using one of the one man vacuum bleeders. Not as successful as YouTube shows it though.
3 calipers down, doing the right rear, the bleed nipple was a sod to loosen. It appears that on Monday when bleeding my system after fitting the brake hoses whoever did it overtightened the nipple, rounding it off and stripped the thread in the caliper.
I shall be ringing the garage tomorrow, but in the meantime my car is off the road now anyway, and 2 new calipers are on order, here on Friday.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Charlie Farley and Fully
Completely agreed Rob, I went upto the lakes and onto Scotland last year with the mrs, two MTB’s in back and luggage.

Managed a 37mpg each way and cruised along with ease all the way. Hurrah for the avant!

Definitely Bobby.
We were up to the Lakes a couple of months ago. The old bus was returning avg 68mpg. A full tank range was nearly 800miles.
We'd thought of getting rid in favour of a Q5 etc, but we both love her too much.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Bobbytea
Not done anything yet but order a bunch of parts this morning.

A set of 034 street density engine mounts are on their way, hopefully they will reduce some rattles and that annoying knock when cornering. A gearbox mount is on the way too.

Also ordered a set of brembo rear discs and pads, the new copper washes also turned up so the rear braided lines can go on at the same time.

A few other bits like front top mounts and rear shock bumpstop and dust cover kit on the way too, will fit those when i get round to getting the bilstien shocks

In the meantime i will replace the dodgy indicator stalk (that i broke), the drivers window switch, the window lock button has stopped working and the centre dash vent that has broken.

Putting it all together like that makes it look like a right old shed!

Alex

Sounds like it's falling apart from the inside out...

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
I was all geared up to replace my bilsteins with the KW coilovers this morning, then it started raining, won't get done today then.:sob:

Sounds like it's falling apart from the inside out...
Tbf Rob, some of it is my doing, some is the car needing long overdue maintenance and me not getting my finger out and doing it a while ago. Just want to attack it now and get it all sorted.

sounds like a plan, just go at it hammer and tong :thumbs up: :yes:

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Eventually got the new caliper on today, when it arrived at 3pm on a 24hr delivery placed on 27th.
I bought the pair, non genuine but OEM, so will change the nearside at brake pad time.
Braided hose all round, and silicon brake fluid in.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_162816377.jpg
    IMG_20211030_162816377.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Charlie Farley and Fully
The rear end before todays actions.

ccK9ctt.jpg

I've had a busy one today,
dewipered and tinted the rear window, fitted boot spoiler. (lies)
I did however by a new bootlid in lava grey as it had the S-line boot spoiler fitted and it wasn't till i collected it that i realised it was dewipered and tinted (winner).

HlEonQS.jpg

gNtvY2N.jpg

I also had to take a trip to screwfix and buy some new number plate bolts to reattach my number plate surround, and fitted new number plate lights that i originally bought for my ex's Audi.
New bootlid also had some device fitted to amend the 3rd brake light (5 quick flashes, 5 slower flashes, then solid)

qdOBHLT.mp4

Whilst fitting the new bootlid, one of the struts went pop and split so i had to rip that off and place an eBay order.
Roll on delivery day, as trying to load your car with one hand holding the boot open and the other loading stuff isn't fun :wtf: :sob::laughing:

The rear end before todays actions.

ccK9ctt.jpg

I've had a busy one today,
dewipered and tinted the rear window, fitted boot spoiler. (lies)
I did however by a new bootlid in lava grey as it had the S-line boot spoiler fitted and it wasn't till i collected it that i realised it was dewipered and tinted (winner).

HlEonQS.jpg

gNtvY2N.jpg

I also had to take a trip to screwfix and buy some new number plate bolts to reattach my number plate surround, and fitted new number plate lights that i originally bought for my ex's Audi.
New bootlid also had some device fitted to amend the 3rd brake light (5 quick flashes, 5 slower flashes, then solid)

qdOBHLT.mp4

Whilst fitting the new bootlid, one of the struts went pop and split so i had to rip that off and place an eBay order.
Roll on delivery day, as trying to load your car with one hand holding the boot open and the other loading stuff isn't fun :wtf: :sob::laughing:

Just have to ask, why does anyone take their rear wiper off????

Just a little one today, popped the replacement centre dash vent in. A nice little £14 bargin and back to as good as new. I've got to say theres plenty of little parts for these cars that are nice and cheap.

Reactions: Fully
I bought it like that, but everyone i've seen that does it mentions they think it looks cleaner (obvs not in the sense of wiping your window clean)
I swapped my rear wiper arm for a Q5 one with a bosch aero blade. Its much better than the original and looks a little cleaner and newer imo

Swapping the turbo, somehow i managed to brake the K04!!!

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk