What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Replacing those Relays 644 has totally changed my car . And I will definitely need a better clutch set up when the turbo comes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Replacing those Relays 644 has totally changed my car . And I will definitely need a better clutch set up when the turbo comes lol

Glad it helped sort out the initial fault codes chap, new relays are a noticible replacement.

Reactions: WOMBLERULZ
Yep, all down to personal preference Ricky.:icon thumright:
That said when the wheels are off its a good opportunity to give the calipers a good clean along with the wheel inners.:yes:
Yeah calipers lets not talk about them i scratched all mine taking that stupid clip off not long after i painted them to change the front discs and pads, something else on the to do list in summer.

Yeah calipers lets not talk about them i scratched all mine taking that stupid clip off not long after i painted them to change the front discs and pads, something else on the to do list in summer.

Fair enough then i won't mention calipers anymore today.....

18z1

But what about a pic of some nice Red ones then.....:yahoo:

Reactions: boffin486, AvantAlexB7 and i3oricua
Not far off Ricky , that was them a few years back now but they have kept there finish very well and i do clean them properly on a regular basis.
My wife says I'm bonkers cleaning the inside faces of the wheels and calipers..lol

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Not far off Ricky , that was them a few years back now but they have kept there finish very well and i do clean them properly on a regular basis.
My wife says I'm bonkers cleaning the inside faces of the wheels and calipers..lol
I thought i was mad taking wheels off both cars every year and jet washing all in the arches and suspension ect you Rob take the game to a new level lol i salute you

Don't forget , wheels that are clean on both sides are 50% faster than ones that are only clean on the outside..lol

Makes my little s4 b8.5 callipers look small . Mind you if I ever get round to fitting them lol I can send some pics and fit my 19’s
7f619d4583a628ed3afa793ef1fe1ed4.jpg

Those anti rattle clips are a PITA the refit! I chipped my callipers fitting the new gloss black Sline clips i painted. Another excuse to upgrade Ricky:icon thumright:

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley

I've always said that the devil is in the detail with things like that, it makes the world of difference to the overall look of a car. Besides keeping things clean and corrosion free helps future proof for any future repairs or maintenance in that area

Booked in for oil and filter change.

How often should spark plugs be changed? Looks like it’s been 3 years since they were last swapped...

I don’t like the colour, not a fan of white cars but it’s the engine that I’m interested in. You can get a lot of power out of it.

But on the other hand I’m too invested in the b7 and I want to complete the project!

Finally found a pair of rear footmats to match the fronts i bought awhile ago
20210217 192821

Reactions: tr7, Dan_G and Charlie Farley
Hit a dead animal on the dual carriage way the other day and smashed the front splitter up so that a bumper off job i cant be bothered with right now, also has the old wheels on so it looks like a pile of w**k as I've fell out of love with it again so don't want to buy new tyres on the 19's, this car gives me mixed emotions I'm to far in to go back and i have no motivation to spend anymore money, felt like I've always been forcing myself to love this car, ill leave it on the drive and see how i feel in a few months i think, might at least give me a bit of enthusiasm to get it mapped and make most of these stage 2+ bits but as for now it aint getting nothing.

btw the cars not at fault it hasn't done anything in particular i just cant be bothered with it lately :)

Hit a dead animal on the dual carriage way the other day and smashed the front splitter up so that a bumper off job i cant be bothered with right now, also has the old wheels on so it looks like a pile of w**k as I've fell out of love with it again so don't want to buy new tyres on the 19's, this car gives me mixed emotions I'm to far in to go back and i have no motivation to spend anymore money, felt like I've always been forcing myself to love this car, ill leave it on the drive and see how i feel in a few months i think, might at least give me a bit of enthusiasm to get it mapped and make most of these stage 2+ bits but as for now it aint getting nothing.

btw the cars not at fault it hasn't done anything in particular i just cant be bothered with it lately :)

Sad to hear of your probs Ricky, it's life I'm afraid and always something around the corner to mess things up.

I suspect you have become what I like to call a "slave to your car" , always repairing bits and pieces but never really using the car enough to reap the rewards of all that input.
I can fully understand your feelings towards it, all the expense, time and labour but now it just doesn't do it for you, you need to use it more an enjoy it, not letting it just stand on the drive.

I've had my avant for 7 years now and to be really honest, its been problematic since day one of ownership, probably way more than most of you guys on the B7 forum.
But, it's still here and I've spent way too much on it, do I regret it, sometimes it crosses my mind but only briefly as it just makes me grin every time I drive it.
Sounds a bit bonkers i agree but it's a very good reason for keeping a car despite the negative points and down days.
It all becomes worth it when i get so many positive comments and great feedback on the car when I'm out in it, every other day i get asked about it and how it looks great, for me that just puts the icing on the cake.

You need to find that sweet spot for your car again Ricky, its there you just need to light the flame .
best of luck chap.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Sad to hear of your probs Ricky, it's life I'm afraid and always something around the corner to mess things up.

I suspect you have become what I like to call a "slave to your car" , always repairing bits and pieces but never really using the car enough to reap the rewards of all that input.
I can fully understand your feelings towards it, all the expense, time and labour but now it just doesn't do it for you, you need to use it more an enjoy it, not letting it just stand on the drive.

I've had my avant for 7 years now and to be really honest, its been problematic since day one of ownership, probably way more than most of you guys on the B7 forum.
But, it's still here and I've spent way too much on it, do I regret it, sometimes it crosses my mind but only briefly as it just makes me grin every time I drive it.
Sounds a bit bonkers i agree but it's a very good reason for keeping a car despite the negative points and down days.
It all becomes worth it when i get so many positive comments and great feedback on the car when I'm out in it, every other day i get asked about it and how it looks great, for me that just puts the icing on the cake.

You need to find that sweet spot for your car again Ricky, its there you just need to light the flame .
best of luck chap.
Defiantly hear what your saying Rob even with all the money spent on it its still more or less stock power so i think thats where the issue is its just not even slightly quick enough to make me feel interested i bought it as a project but one thing after another kind of gets boring after a couple years, needs tyres all round, new splitter, thermostat and rocker cover changing then shes ready for the map so not a big deal i just cant be bothered at the minute, just spent a fair few grand on the garden so the car can sit there for a bit till im ready oh due a service in next month as well which id do before a map anyway so i may well do it all at once when im up for it and go from there.

Still fancy one of those v10 s6's though have done for a few years, there un practical, not particularly quick and massive running costs but thats a car i can say id be in love with, that sound alone would cure the pain of spending thousands lol, a 2.0 turbo's just not cutting it at the minute im afraid.

Well sounds like you've already decided on the B7's fate Ricky, i understand your thinking but if it is not doing it for you anymore and the interest is just not in it then maybe the time has come to part company with the B7.

Cut your losses now and move onto something else rather than let it sit there chipping away at you, only you know the way to go.

Sadly a lot of guys buy B7's , keep them for a couple of years then loose interest in them, its not the car at fault as such , but owners become familiar with the car and the kick just wears off.
But then that happens with the next car, and the next and so on.

Your B7 is , at the end of the day a 2.0turbo.
Its a great car but when you start comparing to v10 s6 and v8 rs4's etc , well anything with a"V" in the mix really it is never going to be in the same league.
Not in performance, sound etc, you can throw as much money as you have at it but its still always going to be a 14 year old a4 2.0turbo and thats the issue, deep down you want something more , something with better power etc, the things you lack with the B7.

Only way to fulllfill that is to get something else.

This always seems a battle of heart versus head for me.

Many times have I considered chucking in the towel. But when the car is on form it's great. Like some of you, I've put way too much money into mine to the point where it's taken some joy out of it at times.

Equally I know many people rolling around in more 'serious' metal that run into eye watering bills very frequently.

But let's not forget the last 12 months have tainted things. No meets, no events and not even allowed to just go for a drive and enjoy the car and the roads at times.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

You make a good point about the last year Jon. I’ve done 3,000 miles in the last 12 months and most of that was a trip to the Alps prior to lockdown.

Not really enjoying your car is more likely to do with not being able to enjoy it. Fingers crossed that lockdown ends in 20 days and we can get back to enjoying driving, rather than just looking at, our cars.

Fingers crossed!

Sadly a lot of guys buy B7's , keep them for a couple of years then loose interest in them, its not the car at fault as such , but owners become familiar with the car and the kick just wears off.
But then that happens with the next car, and the next and so on.

Its not the fact its become familiar or I'm losing interest as such, sometimes i just wake up and think what's the point is it worth it?, i was more than happy with my previous car and being in the B7 was a huge downgrade to a fully loaded E class estate and still to this day feels like a huge step back rather than forward but after that had a catastrophic failure it forced me to get a car quick and the B7 was a cheap car i thought i could have a play with and a bit of fun but its got to point where I've spent 3 times what its worth and its still just a regular car sat there I'm not particularly in love with.

It ticks most boxes for people but my moto in life is always improve and if your going to do something to it properly and I'm at a point now where i should of already had a "proper " performance car and i can afford to get something special now but what do i do with this car that's worth nothing now its a write off but with a few k of performance parts strapped to it.....

Like i said ill leave her on the drive probably give her a bath soon and see how i feel, probably don't help that two weeks ago i spent just over £1500 on both cars in a week, that's still left a sour taste in my mouth that I'm not pleased about and currently in the middle of redoing the back garden that's getting close to the 3.5k mark in the last 2 months with me doing 85% of the work so my focus is on that lately and my wallet is also not liking them weekly bills so my cars getting the stick for it all lol

I’ve owned mine for over 5 years now and I’ve been in your position many times Ricky.

I’ve come close to setting it on fire a couple times as well, just to watch it burn cus I’ve been that p****d off with it!

I even stopped driving it for 6 months and bought a TT 225 Quattro cus I hated the A4 that much.

But I’ve stuck with it and I’m finally within reach of unlocking half decent power. But it has come at great expense.

The only problem with buying a ‘V’ car is the running costs, and when they go wrong, which they do, the bills are big, bigger than a 2.0T most of the time.

A friend of mine has a b7 RS4 and it costs him £125 a week just to drive to work and back!

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
Just spent another £350 to have a new thermostat and feeder pipe changed.

Haven’t got the time or patience to do it myself at the moment. Also don’t have a garage and trying to do it on the drive in the wind and rain stresses me out too much!

I’ve owned mine for over 5 years now and I’ve been in your position many times Ricky.

I’ve come close to setting it on fire a couple times as well, just to watch it burn cus I’ve been that p****d off with it!

I even stopped driving it for 6 months and bought a TT 225 Quattro cus I hated the A4 that much.

But I’ve stuck with it and I’m finally within reach of unlocking half decent power. But it has come at great expense.

The only problem with buying a ‘V’ car is the running costs, and when they go wrong, which they do, the bills are big, bigger than a 2.0T most of the time.

A friend of mine has a b7 RS4 and it costs him £125 a week just to drive to work and back!
I hear what your saying seems like everyone has questioned if its worth it or not owning one of these cars inc myself, don't get me wrong I've really tried to make it something more me but sometimes i just cant be bothered with it tbf, maybe that's the issue in the first place, I'm trying to make it something more me than actually buying something that is more me in the first place, hasn't all been bad though still been good to learn and experience with and it does look pretty cool once its all cleaned up :)

Reactions: Dan_Avant and Charlie Farley
The sad reality is this.
If you want to get the ultimate from these cars performance wise you need to throw a lot of funds at it, not just a couple of grand, thats a fact, otherwise you are just chasing a target and experience that you will never reach.
From an aesthetic viewpoint you can do a lot and have good results , you can also spend a lot with even better results but where do you stop.
Performance wise you'd need to invest thousands to get something really special and at the end would you still look at it the same way or hate what it has cost to get there.

Let's be frank here. A decent turbo, IC, pistons and a rebuild etc, injectors , fuelpump etc etc remap and the list goes on a fair bit will release most owners of £5k min and upwards, is it worth it, to many owners it is , to me it would be but not for the obvious reasons.
We are all different and have differing aspirations etc from our cars, are they a hobby or just an uprated daily driver for me its a very different situation.
And as is always mentioned, it's a personal thing.

Reactions: Dan_Avant and Jamsmoo
If you want serious performance from the start then you need to look at a different base car Ricky, your B7 is a top notch car but will never live up to your expectations in its current guise.

One of my previous cars a 944 turbo was a great car, now I'm not comparing a 944turbo to an A4 Avant bus but hang in there with me.
The BUL engine is factory 220 , mine is 270ish ,the 944 turbo was a 247 power unit, the 944 weight a lot less than my avant bus and had a quicker 0-60 time but, that said my avant is a faster car, ok off the line its only mediocre but midrange performance is better and you can feel it aswell in the avant.
I'm not saying the a4 is a better car than the 944 but par for par its as good and probably better performing in other areas, which given its a large barge estate car that a good result.
My 911 964 C4 was only 260bhp , the B7's are very unstated car performance-wise, you just dont notice how quick they are until you have something similar to compare it against.
anyway, i think you get my drift.:yes:

Last edited:
The sad reality is this.
If you want to get the ultimate from these cars performance wise you need to throw a lot of funds at it, not just a couple of grand, thats a fact, otherwise you are just chasing a target and experience that you will never reach.
From an aesthetic viewpoint you can do a lot and have good results , you can also spend a lot with even better results but where do you stop.
Performance wise you'd need to invest thousands to get something really special and at the end would you still look at it the same way or hate what it has cost to get there.

Let's be frank here. A decent turbo, IC, pistons and a rebuild etc, injectors , fuelpump etc etc remap and the list goes on a fair bit will release most owners of £5k min and upwards, is it worth it, to many owners it is , to me it would be but not for the obvious reasons.
We are all different and have differing aspirations etc from our cars, are they a hobby or just an uprated daily driver for me its a very different situation.
And as is always mentioned, it's a personal thing.

Excepted when I bought it ,it’s not a fast car and never will be without spending silly money but styling/usability/practicality for me it’s hard to beat .mate of mine always said ,if u smile when u see it or still turn around to look at it when You lock it and leave it you’ve got the right car

Reactions: boffin486, Dan_Avant and Charlie Farley
Excepted when I bought it ,it’s not a fast car and never will be without spending silly money but styling/usability/practicality for me it’s hard to beat .mate of mine always said ,if u smile when u see it or still turn around to look at it when You lock it and leave it you’ve got the right car

Exactly, it's not always about the power, that helps but its not everything.

Reactions: boffin486
@Jamsmoo I think that’s the main reason I’ve hung on to mine so long, I can fit the future ex wife, 2 kids and the dog in it comfortably and sometimes I find myself in my living room, staring at it out the window (when she’s nice and clean) so there is def still some love for her there!

Reactions: boffin486, Charlie Farley and Jamsmoo
315da2f293325e0f4e456a6436d1fcac.jpg

Trying something with the spare that wasn’t refurbed with the others and was in an awful state see how it looks on
Hopefully get the lip done tomorrow in silver
Thoughts ?

Reactions: Dan_Avant and Charlie Farley
315da2f293325e0f4e456a6436d1fcac.jpg

Trying something with the spare that wasn’t refurbed with the others and was in an awful state see how it looks on
Hopefully get the lip done tomorrow in silver
Thoughts ?

Colour coded to car if that wasn’t obvious