What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

B7Tourer

My ideal spec car (if it existed!) would have been a TDI 140 SE saloon, specced with all the options yours has Rob - however TDI SE's were only available in 170 guise which were unfortunately burdened with a DPF, unlike the 140's which only have a catalytic converter. I know I could have simply gutted it and mapped it out, but with MoT checks tightening on cars factory fitted with DPF's, I didn't want the worry.
This may be very contentious but I am dead against EGR and DPF deletes, though I do not frown on or judge anyone who wishes to do so. The fatal knife is in for the diesel and all ICEs to an extent and the more we do these things the more we kill the things we love and help them twist that knife. It is stupid I know but they are determined to handicap every natural advantage of a technology that has still much development potential. Euro 6 and soon to be Euro 7 diesels are a far cry from Dieselgate and the technology exists for many otherwise finely serviced and maintained cars to continue more cleanly. It is not ideal or desirable for us to hamper performance in any way but there should be a way to live with these cars for people who cannot afford EVs, if we play our part 'responsibly'.

Sygh2k

20220522_205644.jpg

When the rattle turns out not to be the clutch.....

NM07

Gold Supporter
Wow, sorry to see that mate :sadlike: I've never seen a cracked crank on these, what power are you running?

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Not good at all chap, to much boost by some chance or lubrication issues leading to metal fatigue
That's going to be a big hit on the wallet too.
best of luck with it .

NM07

Gold Supporter
So I've been mulling over what to do about whether to clear corner mod the xenons before they go in at the end of the week. I've decided I want to do the clear corner mod, but rather than replacing them with the clear lenses from my current headlights, I'm instead going to do a lens delete. Here is an example (though I will be leaving the chrome front piece unlike this one):

IMG_0698.JPG

I prefer this look to the clear lenses as it makes the indicator section look more consistent with the DRL section, the DRL reflector is domed inwards without a lens so in my opinion it fits more consistently with the design language of the rest of the headlight.

Sygh2k

Wow, sorry to see that mate :sadlike: I've never seen a cracked crank on these, what power are you running?
I have a revo2+ at 190k +meth, rebuilt the bottom end a few years ago, when i spun a shell from oil pump failure and had the crank reground to within a thou of its life so i thinks its probably the weakened crank +over stock power although still only a k03.

i3oricua

Thats not a power related issue iny opinion. That might be related to heat or previous damage. Thats not damage I've ever seen or heard of. Did you have bad rod knock? Was there any other damage? Sorry to see that happen man.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Sygh2k

Thats not a power related issue iny opinion. That might be related to heat or previous damage. Thats not damage I've ever seen or heard of. Did you have bad rod knock? Was there any other damage? Sorry to see that happen man.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Im in the process of breaking it down, i agree the route cause is from previous undetected damage and its given up finally, if it was stock it might of lasted a bit longer but hpw much who knows. No bad rod knock, just almost like a rattle when the dual masses give up is the way id describe it.

Donfero

Im in the process of breaking it down, i agree the route cause is from previous undetected damage and its given up finally, if it was stock it might of lasted a bit longer but hpw much who knows. No bad rod knock, just almost like a rattle when the dual masses give up is the way id describe it.
Don't beat yourself up. It was running fine, just making some noise!
5b5f6b6c27dc70abf469582b84da099c.jpg
b66ca631fc3bcbda39870780c0a37829.jpg

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tr7

Sygh2k

Wow you did a good job on them piston's donfero.
Just got the TWO cranks out of the bottom end. Split on the 2nd rod from front, all the shells have about 22k miles on them too

Attachments

• 20220524_105932.jpg
    20220524_105932.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220524_105844.jpg
    20220524_105844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220524_105817.jpg
    20220524_105817.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 26

tr7

So I've been mulling over what to do about whether to clear corner mod the xenons before they go in at the end of the week. I've decided I want to do the clear corner mod, but rather than replacing them with the clear lenses from my current headlights, I'm instead going to do a lens delete. Here is an example (though I will be leaving the chrome front piece unlike this one):

View attachment 254817

I prefer this look to the clear lenses as it makes the indicator section look more consistent with the DRL section, the DRL reflector is domed inwards without a lens so in my opinion it fits more consistently with the design language of the rest of the headlight.
Yeh please don't black them out.

Interested to see how they turn out. Didn't even know this was a thing

NM07

Gold Supporter
Yeh please don't black them out.

Interested to see how they turn out. Didn't even know this was a thing
Don't worry lol, I won't be :smiley: I know it's to some people's tastes, but I personally really like the chrome accents in the light. They're not overdone and look really good!

Will certainly post pics once they're in. Phase 1 of the xenon install should be done by the end of the week (that's getting the lights wired in), then phase 2 will be auto levelling once the loom comes in.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Not with the old bus but i'm having a nightmare with my V8 , really struggling with oversize bearings/pistons & rings and the crank needs a regrind....arghhhh
At least the block is not too bad but need a rebore due to scoring that wont hone out.
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4932.JPG

tr7

Part of me really likes the idea of buying blown BUL car and rebuilding the engine my self for the project

Fear is though it'd break my heart and or turn into a performance build with ££££ money

But got the itch and need a good excuse to buy some more tools..

Rob Avant

The wagon is off the road for the moment, at least until I can get the IC pipe work sorted. Luckily the GTI is now road worthy :racer:

Attachments

• 81F02374-47A0-4D1A-9686-607D13C0A381.jpeg
    81F02374-47A0-4D1A-9686-607D13C0A381.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 30

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
The wagon is off the road for the moment, at least until I can get the IC pipe work sorted. Luckily the GTI is now road worthy :racer:
GTI :yahoo: :yes:

Last edited:

NM07

Gold Supporter
Stage 1 of the xenon conversion is done :yahoo: Massive thanks to @NHN for his fantastic work today, beyond pleased with the result.

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0725.jpeg

And a bonus wide angle shot for good measure :laugh:

IMG_0734.jpeg

Remaining bits for the project:
  • Wire in DRL switch
  • Wire in headlight washer pump
  • Mount + wire levelling sensors
  • Split the headlights to remove the amber indicator lens cover
  • Replace the outer lenses with the ones from my old halogens, as they are in better condition
  • Install new bumper supports and adjust to close gap between bumper and bonnet

Last edited:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Stage 1 of the xenon conversion is done :yahoo: Massive thanks to @NHN for his fantastic work today, beyond pleased with the result.

View attachment 254911
View attachment 254916
View attachment 254918

And a bonus wide angle shot for good measure :laugh:

View attachment 254917

Remaining bits for the project:
  • Wire in DRL switch
  • Wire in headlight washer pump
  • Mount + wire levelling sensors
  • Split the headlights to remove the amber indicator lens cover
  • Replace the outer lenses with the ones from my old halogens, as they are in better condition
  • Install new bumper supports and adjust to close gap between bumper and bonnet
A bit more done then, good stuff. :yes:

B7Tourer

Wonderful condition S-line (always a credit to the owner as well as the car) and a very worthwhile upgrade! DRLs alone make these cars much more modern appearing I think. I can't justify the cost on my 'old bus' (copyright Rob), so I have the poor man's alternative, coding of Nordic (both front and rear DRL) through OBDEleven.

B7Tourer

Two more little things today:
9.jpg
8.jpg

The rear bumper load protector is self explanatory, I would link but I bought the last one on ebay from a UK source, however they are made by a German company, if you Google. A bit pricey - 60 quid but, very useful and practical I believe and has hid a couple of gauges on the lip.

The other picture is of sound deadening for the engine cover. The Old Goat (excuse the Old Goat reflected in the paintwork too) is very smooth and quiet, especially from inside, for an oil burner but the B7 2.0l TDIs are the only Audi's that don't come with factory sound insulation underneath that plastic cover, and I am curious to see if it makes any difference, from outside.

Oh and I saw a couple of S-line Avant B7s in Bromsgrove West Midlands, today, whilst getting her cleaned - the most I have ever seen in one day for a while - one a metallic blue 57 plate, that I was right behind and the other Phantom Black pearl like mine, passing the other way, forget the year - both very good condition but dirty ha ha. Any of you guys?:friends:

Last edited:

tr7

Two more little things today: View attachment 255211 View attachment 255213
The rear bumper load protector is self explanatory, I would link but I bought the last one on ebay from a UK source, however they are made by a German company, if you Google. A bit pricey - 60 quid but, very useful and practical I believe and has hid a couple of gauges on the lip.

The other picture is of sound deadening for the engine cover. The Old Goat (excuse the Old Goat reflected in the paintwork too) is very smooth and quiet, especially from inside, for an oil burner but the B7 2.0l TDIs are the only Audi's that don't come with factory sound insulation underneath that plastic cover, and I am curious to see if it makes any difference, from outside.

Oh and I saw a couple of S-line Avant B7s in Bromsgrove West Midlands, today, whilst getting her cleaned - the most I have ever seen in one day for a while - one a metallic blue 57 plate, that I was right behind and the other Phantom Black pearl like mine, passing the other way, forget the year - both very good condition but dirty ha ha. Any of you guys?:friends:

They do come with insulation under the engine cover. It just disintegrates!

Only ever saw one in good shape after 10 + years

The rest all were already gone or if partly there, they perished with the slightest touch or god forbid you get it wet. Then it just destroys it and leaves a mess over your engine

Anyway, what did you buy of interest? link?

tr7

Are you sure tr7? Every one I looked at on ebay was clean underneath, like mine, as though there had never been anything, whereas those for A3s all had the disintegrating rubber you mention. It's called GlassMAT Engine Insulation car bonnet high temperature sound proofing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262309262075

See even here

you’ve never saw one as they’ve all perished!

B7Tourer

See even here

you’ve never saw one as they’ve all perished!
This product has a tin foil layer on the outside that will hopefully help it avoid falling all about the place. And since they were designed to have insulation in the first place, it must help. Just as they tried to save a few pennies on the lower B7 models by not including the plenum cover and the others (screenwasher/abs cover and A/C cover), I though maybe they were doing the same with this insulation. I've ordered the plenum cover and have the ecu cover to go with it plus the right hand side cover. So I'll report back when they're fitted.

What I can't find is the right hand fitting kit, for the right hand cover or the A/C kit at all - I have the part numbers but nada anywhere - does anyone know where I might get them?

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
A lot of B7 parts are now becoming unavailable as new from Audi so unless you find the part as NOS from a seller it may be a used item i'm afraid.

B7Tourer

A lot of B7 parts are now becoming unavailable as new from Audi so unless you find the part as NOS from a seller it may be a used item i'm afraid.
Yes Rob, didn't even bother with Audi, still waiting on the 1st aid kit! Happily though the right hand bit above the screen wash sits well without mounts.

Jamsmoo

Took the lad to pick up his first car today
Told him he could have any manufacturer but if he wanted my help it had to be vag .Can’t have him starting off on the wrong foot
IMG_0989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boffin486

Hi Folks, not been around much lately but I have been doing stuff to the Old Jalopy - spent the last few weekends fitting the Bilstein/H&K suspension I got from Rob (CHEERS Rob!! :icon thumright:) & also freshening up my front Calipers as well as replacing the rear ones.

Original Front coilover strut (which I only fitted in 2018)
Old Coilover.JPG

Old N New struts - note the broken rear spring lying alongside them (both were broken in exactly the same place)
Old n New.JPG

Bilstein/H&K strut assembled with new standard upper Arms (mounted at correct angle - the adjustable ones consistently destroyed their outer ball joints as the boots kept getting split - don't know why)
Bilstein assembled 1.JPG

Replacement strut fitted
Bilstein fitted 1.JPG

H&K rear spring with Bilstein shock fitted
H&K + Shock.JPG

Old N New Rear Caliper
Rear Caliper Old n New.JPG

Front Caliper repainted/refreshed
Front Caliper Repaint 1.jpg

And that concludes my latest shenanigans..........
Except....... I have sold my B6 Audi Avant - it will be put back on the road by the new owner Yay!

Last edited:

tr7

Hi Folks, not been around much lately but I have been doing stuff to the Old Jalopy - spent the last few weekends fitting the Bilstein/H&K suspension I got from Rob & also freshening up my front Calipers as well as replacing the rear ones.

View attachment 255348

Old N New struts - note the broken rear spring lying alongside them (both were broken in exactly the same place)
View attachment 255349

Bilstein/H&K strut assembled with new standard upper Arms (the adjustable ones consistently destroyed their outer ball joints as the boots kept getting split - don't know why)
View attachment 255350

Replacement strut fitted
View attachment 255351

View attachment 255352

Old N New Rear Caliper
View attachment 255353

View attachment 255354

Except....... I have sold my B6 Audi Avant - it will be put back on the road by the new owner Yay!
Exactly the work I think on the cards next for mine.

Is yours TFSI or TDI?

boffin486

Its a TFSi (BUL) same as Robs motah.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Hi Folks, not been around much lately but I have been doing stuff to the Old Jalopy - spent the last few weekends fitting the Bilstein/H&K suspension I got from Rob (CHEERS Rob!! :icon thumright:) & also freshening up my front Calipers as well as replacing the rear ones.

View attachment 255348

View attachment 255349

Bilstein/H&K strut assembled with new standard upper Arms (mounted at correct angle - the adjustable ones consistently destroyed their outer ball joints as the boots kept getting split - don't know why)
View attachment 255350

Replacement strut fitted
View attachment 255351

View attachment 255352

Old N New Rear Caliper
View attachment 255353

View attachment 255354

I'm glad you got some use from the Bilsteins and H&R springs chap.
Its allways Good to see decent kit get a new home. :yahoo:

NM07

Gold Supporter
Very nice
Very very nice! Will look great once fitted :) Are you going to swap the silver border for the gloss black one on your current grille to keep with the black optics theme?

Last edited:

tr7

Yes Black Optics for sure. Went very far out of my way to have everything else factory black in my car lol. So definitely changing over the surround from my Special Edition grill

Would have loved to find a good VMZ one but theses are rare enough and the condition of them vary so much. This one was in near perfect condition so was very hard to refuse.

Got a good deal. Came in the Genuine VAG box too

tr7

photo_2022-06-09 13.15.59.jpeg

Fitted

Not sure what to make of it. Never saw one on a silver car before. Not many Silver RS4's about and I've never saw a single RS4 in Silver with Black Optics

Looks almost as if something is missing.

Is it the badge?

or am I just too used to seeing 'my old' car and this will take some getting used to. Unsure!

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
It’s a personal choice situation, having been there with black I know what you mean, hence why I went satin silver.

Last edited:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Sometimes the black surround is just too much black , all the contrast is lost that you get with the silver or chrome.
I expect it will grow on you but don't be surprised if it doesnt.