What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

AvantAlexB7

Big day for my Avant today, fingers crossed all goes well, 10 points if you can guess the job
View attachment 234205

Yep new a new control arm kit and 2 new front wheel bearings.

Mixed feelings about the job really, os went well, buggered up the steering rack boot removong the seized trackrod end but all in all not bad.

The N/s was a different story. The original 13 year old pinch bolt ofcourse was seized solid, no amount of heat, hammering or pressing could ever remove it, so ofcourse sheered the head off, which i was prepared for. Apart from the the two upper arms the n/s is done too as a replacement knuckle is needed to finish the job

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Yep new a new control arm kit and 2 new front wheel bearings.

Mixed feelings about the job really, os went well, buggered up the steering rack boot removong the seized trackrod end but all in all not bad.

The N/s was a different story. The original 13 year old pinch bolt ofcourse was seized solid, no amount of heat, hammering or pressing could ever remove it, so ofcourse sheered the head off, which i was prepared for. Apart from the the two upper arms the n/s is done too as a replacement knuckle is needed to finish the job
so it's onto the next job now then Alex, the list never ends , it just gets longer..lol

AvantAlexB7

Spent some more money on the Avant this morning in the shape of a new N/s steering knuckle, steering rack boot and a nice upgrade 034 rear anti roll bar. 25.5mm instead of pencil thin stock one, so that should make a nice improvement

Pie-eyedpiper

Spent some more money on the Avant this morning in the shape of a new N/s steering knuckle, steering rack boot and a nice upgrade 034 rear anti roll bar. 25.5mm instead of pencil thin stock one, so that should make a nice improvement
The ARB will make a big difference.
The 22mm S4 one made a real difference to mine.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
I'd like to try an avant with the standard Rear ARB just for comparison purposes.
with uprated lowered suspension to see if there is a massive difference.

Last edited:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
what rear suspension do you have fitted at present Alex?

Dan_G

I have an RS4 rear ARB in a garage somewhere. Haven’t seen it for years but it was one for the B7 with DRC fitted which might have been slightly bigger than normal, perhaps 24mm.

I’ll have a look next weekend.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
All stock currently, planning on upgrading the b8's when the wallet allows
Sounds like a plan Alex.
Not having tried a B7 of either flavour with standard ARB i can't really say how much difference there is, but, my old bus had the RS4 arb from the factory and even with the s-line setup it was pretty flat around the bends, with the Bilstein setup its even better still, very little body roll at all.
I must have a go in something else for comparison purposes.

Pie-eyedpiper

I thought
Se was 16mm
S line 18mm
S4 20mm
Rs4 22mm

You could be right there Alex.
Yours will make a big difference to roll.

I'd like to try an avant with the standard Rear ARB just for comparison purposes.
with uprated lowered suspension to see if there is a massive difference.

It makes a big difference Rob. I fitted the S4 ARB before I fitted my B12 kit.
The difference then was very noticeable, after the B12 kit the difference is amazing.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
New grille rings and mounting plate arrived today and paintshop called to say the bumper's ready to collect...happy days. :yahoo:

AvantAlexB7

How much is the total cost for all things required for the S4 or RS4 ARB retrofit kit?
Some one did put a parts/price list on here a while ago, but i think the price has shot up since then.

Best bet would be to go aftermarket. My 034 motorsport one turned up today. Come with hardware and some lovely billet bush hangers and poly bushes. I paid around £260 for mine.
Hopefully get it fitted tomorrow evening!
20210330_165445.jpg

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
thats just way too good to put under a car Alex... :yes:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Audi parts prices for all the bits to fit the RS4 ARB are just bonkers now.

Duane32

Little something I’ve been working on, dash and front doors done just the rears to go

Attachments

• A036E78B-9918-4915-955D-15A322D1A1B2.jpeg
    A036E78B-9918-4915-955D-15A322D1A1B2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 0322CB7A-9189-4DAF-BA58-7A84D8F75970.jpeg
    0322CB7A-9189-4DAF-BA58-7A84D8F75970.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 6A212F9D-4B06-488D-8ECC-4384987A297A.jpeg
    6A212F9D-4B06-488D-8ECC-4384987A297A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41

Pie-eyedpiper

How much is the total cost for all things required for the S4 or RS4 ARB retrofit kit?

Audi parts prices for all the bits to fit the RS4 ARB are just bonkers now.

I tried for a while to get an RS4 ARB from a scrapper on Fleabay. The only one I could find the seller wanted £150 for it.
So I settled for an S4 with bushes and brackets from a guy on Facepalm, for £40. Just had to paint it up.
One bracket was a sod to get off mine, I had to recip saw it off.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Little something I’ve been working on, dash and front doors done just the rears to go
Great idea, very much down the lines of a project i started a year or so ago, sadly i never took it any further.
are they behind the door card or just underneath the the trim?
Maybe a tad bright for my liking and not convinced its the best colour, but great project all the same.
A dimmer output in red would be my choice.

Anyway... :thumbs up: :yes:

Duane32

Great idea, very much down the lines of a project i started a year or so ago, sadly i never took it any further.
are they behind the door card or just underneath the the trim?
Maybe a tad bright for my liking and not convinced its the best colour, but great project all the same.
A dimmer output in red would be my choice.

Anyway... :thumbs up: :yes:
They are fully dimmable and you can set any colour you like, I’ve wired the lights in through door grommet behind door cards will do a post on how I did it with pictures when I’m finished

AvantAlexB7

Want to change one of mine knuckles but the wheel bearing worries me ,u fitted new ? Access to a press ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The wheel bearings are a piece of cake fella and you can purchase them in two forms. Just the bearing, or the bearing pre pressed into the hub. After that the hub/bearing assemly simply bolts to the knuckle.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Absolutely Rob, currently have it set up on the outer holes, im guessing the inner ones should stiffen it even more?
I would go with the softer setting Alex when using the OE front end setup.
With decent dampers and springs fitted with that new ARB it will be like a go kart. :rock:

AvantAlexB7

I would go with the softer setting Alex when using the OE front end setup.
With decent dampers and springs fitted with that new ARB it will be like a go kart. :rock:
Yeah your probably right there, i dove around a mini roundabout that has a small hump on it and noticed that the rear seemed to almost hop slighlty as i transitioned left to right over the hump.

Once the wallet has recovered im definitely going down the B8 route!

Jamsmoo

Thoughts on something I’m considering..swapping out my rear eibach sportlines for the original s line springs ,have considered buying the pro springs but obviously that means buying all four ,I’d then end up with a set a pro for the front and sportlines for the rear (which no one wants)
Love how it’s sits at the minute when it’s just me but with the bin lids and a bit of shopping in I do get a bit of rubbing (235 x35 x19 35et )

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Yeah your probably right there, i dove around a mini roundabout that has a small hump on it and noticed that the rear seemed to almost hop slighlty as i transitioned left to right over the hump.

Once the wallet has recovered im definitely going down the B8 route!

Good plan Alex.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Thoughts on something I’m considering..swapping out my rear eibach sportlines for the original s line springs ,have considered buying the pro springs but obviously that means buying all four ,I’d then end up with a set a pro for the front and sportlines for the rear (which no one wants)
Love how it’s sits at the minute when it’s just me but with the bin lids and a bit of shopping in I do get a bit of rubbing (235 x35 x19 35et )

I'm parting company with my B8 / H&R setup soon as i need to fit the new kit, have you considered going with a decent coilover setup .

AvantAlexB7

When i lowered mine, i only fitted the front eibach sportline springs. The rear sits perfect imo on the stock Sline setup. I know some B7s especially avants can have different ride heights depending on quattro etc...

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
By fitting the b14's to my avant bus i can raise the rear a bit more than with the b8's but lower the front down a shade , its fine as it is to be honest but i just feel the adjustable setup will be better suited to my new projects.

Jamsmoo

I'm parting company with my B8 / H&R setup soon as i need to fit the new kit, have you considered going with a decent coilover setup .

Yes , hindsight’s a beautiful thing .It was a toss up between the b12 and coilovers,read too many bad reviews on coilovers (b12 budget considering)
The b14 coilovers would of been the golden ticket but budget dictated

Jamsmoo

Can’t help but think eibach got it wrong with the sportline set up for 2wd avants
Could of done another 10mm at front ,10mm less at rear
But how dare I