1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Dani_B19 Feb 12, 2016

1. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Same here mate. You paying a garage to do it?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Euans2

Euans2 Registered User

Yeah mate, just getting a garage to do it.

4. Dani_B19

Same here, I'm handy with the spammers but didn't fancy taking the cambelt or alternator off.

5. Christopherski

Christopherski Registered User

So last night I did this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dani_B19

What was up with the engine for you to rag it out mate?

7. Dani_B19

So new thermostat and cam follower fitted today, gave the garage £100 and that was with a tip, not bad I don't think.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Think the cam follower had seen better days.

8. Christopherski

Piston ring in cylinder 4 snapped destroying it basically. All on new years eve! Currently waiting for a cheap A4 write off or A6 write off to pop up to buy and swap them over!

9. Dani_B19

Nice.

What engine?

10. carlcall

carlcall Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

That's a bit more than I've done today Christopherski but I hope you get one sorted out sooner rather than later.

All I've done is wash both mine and the Mrs cars.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Dani_B19 likes this.
  11. Christopherski

2.0Tdi 170. I'm back to driving the Ibiza in the picture, it just doesn't compare to the A4, starting to miss it now. You wouldn't happen to know anyone with a spare one would you?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Christopherski

That looks smart! I'm hopefully getting some projectors for mine, ideally I want to pick up a wrote off one with leathers in, projectors and an RNSE iirc. It has taken a few days to get it out though.

14. carlcall

Thanks!

There's a breaker on the bay CLICKY but I take it you want the full car then?

I used to love rebuilding engines when I was younger....still would if I needed too.

15. Christopherski

Thanks! That would have been a perfect car to buy as well! I only want the RNSe for the double din cage and everything with it, I'd consider selling it to recover some costs. Just gotta keep searching plus the engine i think is too far gone, the head is also wrecked.

16. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

finally got round to sorting out the s-line front foglamp cover mesh in fills.
    decided after a lot of experimenting to go with the half mesh filler , full mesh looks nice but unless you get a 100% perfect cut and fit of the mesh section i think it tends to look a bit to DIY , so went with the half section fill and fitted it from behind the cover so no cuts or egdes to be seen nor any glue for that matter , turned out a nice clean job.
    just my version.

17. Dani_B19

That sounds interesting Quattro, any pics?

18. Christopherski

Mine? Not quattro unfortunately.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have wrapped the pieces of interior trim, does look quite good but I want it hydro dipping for the deep gloss effect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dani_B19 likes this.
  19. carlcall

I wrapped mine in the gloss 5D.....looks better in the flesh apart from the dimples in the aluminium that show through. But still a million miles better that standard.

2015-08-13 18.56.08.jpg 2015-08-14 16.38.21.jpg

20. Christopherski

That looks good, it's defo a lot shinyer (if that's a word) than mine lol. My dad has an RS5 and that has the carbon in. I'm after something like that.

21. Dani_B19

Sorry Chris I meant Quattro gmbh about his mesh fog grilles.

Car looks well though Chris.

22. Christopherski

Haha no problem! It did look well, it's in hundreds of pieces atm!

23. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

yes, a rubbish one here i took this evening in the dark, but you'll get the idea, will take a better one in the daylight tommorow.
    IMG_0667.JPG

24. carlcall

I like that Rob.

25. Dani_B19

From what I can see it looks good.

So is the mesh just held in by the force of the surround then?

26. I'm Just Rob.

no , afraid not, the cover is curved so i used a hot glue gun to carefully afix it to the back, what is handy though is this, the back of the cover has a recessed inner edge with a lip around it so you can get a nice accurate cut to fit and the outer lip holds the mesh square in place and the hot glue keeps the mesh nice and firm in place and following the curvature of the cover, so from the outside you can't see any cuts or glue fixing (one of my pet hates with diy jobs) and the mesh pattern is all square and even in the apperture.

Dani_B19 likes this.
  27. Euans2

Euans2 Registered User

I've been meaning to do this ever since I got the rs4 grill, something else always pops up though.

28. I'm Just Rob.

and its not only a cosmetic mod chap, i check my intercoolers weekly and the amount of debris that get's sucked in through these fog lamp cover/vents is bonkers, in a week my nearside cooler was allmost completely covered with leaves etc again, now with these inserts that may be a thing of the past.....well hopefully.

29. pablo

pablo Registered User

what mesh did you buy? Also have an RS4 grille and want those to match

30. I'm Just Rob.

here is better pic chaps, mesh pattern is quite a good match to the grill mesh aswell.
    IMG_0674.JPG

James.c and Dani_B19 like this.
  31. carlcall

Looks even better in the daylight Rob.....basically looks OEM.

32. moorzy

moorzy Registered User

A pity it can't go all the way in the insert instead of half solid half mesh, all the same, quality mod.

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. pablo

pablo Registered User

thats bang on!

35. Euans2

Euans2 Registered User

looks brilliant that does, what mesh did you go for?

36. Dani_B19

Why can't the SE bumpers have removal fog light grilles, would make doing this mod so much easier.

37. ajax1976

ajax1976 Registered User

That's sort of how I did my ones on my old bumper. I laid the mesh over the solid section, lot trickier and time consuming way of doing it tho.

[​IMG]

38. I'm Just Rob.

i did that first but wasnt 100% sure it looked fully finished to be honest , it looked like yours but after trying just the open vent section it looked a more tidy job for me, i didnt like the way the mesh finished around the fog lamp section with the first method it didnt look quite right, hence why i went the way i did.

39. ajax1976

ajax1976 Registered User

I agree if you're not spot on with the cutting and trimming it can detract from the finish of it. Took me a good few attempts to get the 4 individual panels right then shaping each individual tang to meet the surround perfectly. If done right it does look a more VAG factory finish tho but not everyone has the patience so easier just to do the half version.

40. I'm Just Rob.

i dont like this part mate, just looks unfinished, not a question of patience, i just dont like this part around the foglamp with missing mesh or mesh pattern.
    tr1.JPG

if i could get this effect with stick on mesh then it would be fine, i'll stick with my alternative covers for now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  41. Dani_B19

Cleaned it then it ****** it down, about right haha.

Realised though I need to buy some serious fallout reinvent and tar remover, the cars covered in it.

42. ajax1976

ajax1976 Registered User

Ah, the bit you need to be 12" tall or standing 30ft away to see. It was only a suggestion of another option for some of the other members.

moorzy likes this.
  43. I'm Just Rob.

no probs, and if it was 30ft away i'd never see the gap anyway... lol