What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Today has been a good day for me so far....
Decided to get the old buses emissions checked prior to MOT due on the 17th of may, just didn't fancy having to refit the oem PCV setup and the factory CAT if it was going to fail.
Passed with no probs at all, and well within the limits , very happy now , so my 034 sports cat is within limits and safe to leave on and my custom PCV setup is doing a grand job of keeping things MOT friendly aswell, its a win, win situation again.
Off for a cuppa tea and some biscuits now.

Reactions: Ash_mtb, Rob Avant, Dan_Avant and 1 other person
That’s good news mate. I was slightly concerned about putting my 034 HFC on but this has given me confidence in it now.

No way I could be bothered to switch it back to stock every year for the MOT ha ha.

You'll be ok with it on chap.....I was getting a bit paranoid to be honest that my old bus would fail hence having an emissions test a month ahead of the MOT.
Went through well within levels, glad aswell as the MOT guys said the tests are going to get a lot tighter in may after the new 2018 regs come into force and a lot of cars will be failing on a lot of items including sports cats and dpf mods....
I'm safe so that's cool....

rob

Good idea to get it tested before hand. For peace of mind.

My MOT’s due fist week of June. Not entirely sure I’ll even have my sports cat on by then ha ha.

yes , but I was referring to the changes to the whole mot and how its going to effect us all gaz, but yes glad i'm not an oil burner now.

That said, if one keeps ontop of things and a car is as well maintained as possible the chances of an MOT failure are reduced a fair bit, but theres allways something ...lol

Put my 19’s back on
3c064a4ebf90e9203ac40c8f7cf7a17a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ash_mtb, Rob Avant, Charlie Farley and 2 others
That said, if one keeps ontop of things and a car is as well maintained as possible the chances of an MOT failure are reduced a fair bit, but theres allways something ...lol
Yea the number plate light that work when it want to was put as a fail on my last mot when i push it up came and was a pass audi build quality at its best lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Put my 19’s back on
3c064a4ebf90e9203ac40c8f7cf7a17a.jpg

looks the business again chap, very nice and summer is almost upon us so nice to see it looking great again.

rob

Reactions: J0N
Changed my hpfp cam follower. Old one shows minor wear but still in good nick. No idea if it’s been done before. Getting the return hose back on was a bit of a pig though.

7fe37573e4967152150885277db9b505.jpg

Changed my hpfp cam follower. Old one shows minor wear but still in good nick. No idea if it’s been done before. Getting the return hose back on was a bit of a pig though.

7fe37573e4967152150885277db9b505.jpg
What was the part no for your new follower bud?

Its on the site mate cheers for that, ive got mine to stick in and a new cam cover gasket tmoz

Reactions: LawrenceH
Got a couple of little jobs done this morning, cam cover gasket literally broke into pieces! Cam follower didnt look too bad and thats from a bul on 97000. Allso ordered some benchmark coilpacks should be here tmoz, internals are supposed to be better and who doesnt like blue haha

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 256
Reactions: Rob Avant, Charlie Farley and LawrenceH
looks the business again chap, very nice and summer is almost upon us so nice to see it looking great again.

rob

Thanks Rob, I'm looking forwards to having all the Vauxhall Corsas up my **** again haha. Also, found a bit of 'bubbling' on my n/s front wheel arch.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Got a couple of little jobs done this morning, cam cover gasket literally broke into pieces! Cam follower didnt look too bad and thats from a bul on 97000. Allso ordered some benchmark coilpacks should be here tmoz, internals are supposed to be better and who doesnt like blue haha

Looks like mine was chap, I had to hack it out of the cover, did you give the cover a good flush through aswell with degreaser.
The amount of nasty oily treacle gunk that gets stuck inside it is bonkers, I had to do it twice to get all the crud out, well worth it though.
this was mine.

IMG 0650

Looks like mine was chap, I had to hack it out of the cover, did you give the cover a good flush through aswell with degreaser.
The amount of nasty oily treacle gunk that gets stuck inside it is bonkers, I had to do it twice to get all the crud out, well worth it though.
this was mine.

View attachment 153280
I did give it a clean got cut short by the weather though! Same here mate i couldn't believe how brittle it was, had to pick it all out with a screwdriver. Really not surprised it was leaking now!

Just read this thread from start to finish, I have an a6 but thought id have a read to steal some ideas! Just wanted to say good work! Lots of smart looking motors here. Keep up the good work!

Benchmark coils are in, mpg went up and idles nice now. Blue looks rather good too :thumbs up:

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: Charlie Farley
Well the dreaded rear door locking problem has returned today after a years problem free useage, rear offside just refuses to open from inside or outside so looks like i'll need to get the tool box out this evening now......darn it.

Benchmark coils are in, mpg went up and idles nice now. Blue looks rather good too :thumbs up:

Got a link to them ash?

On a side note are these not the ones the tfsi boys say to stay away from? Maybe be different ones im thinking of but there are some blue ones that are pure rubbish.

I changed my DV valve (not difficult with a 1/4" socket set) & fitted a new clutch switch. Yeehah! Cruise control works properly again. :rockwoot:

Pierburg DV Valve

Oh, and My other A4 seemed to have suddenly developed a 'knocking/clicking' noise from the front suspension - drove for a week until I could get it up on the hoist - turned out to be a snapped pinch bolt (head had sheared off) so the upper arm joints were rattling! Good job the rest of the bolt prevents them coming out of the sockets then....... :frown new:
Pierburg%20DV%20Valve_zps28ugx4tn.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash_mtb

Got a link to them ash?

On a side note are these not the ones the tfsi boys say to stay away from? Maybe be different ones im thinking of but there are some blue ones that are pure rubbish.

Got a link to them ash?

I honestly couldnt find too much info about them mate, i was gona order some r8's then saw these and the add sounded good. They have a year warranty so if there pants they'll have em back but so far the cars running noticeably better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-...868987&hash=item2cb8d7abda:g:dlwAAOSwm9tZu~N~

Just rob - cheers bud, i might look into a few blue silicone hoses now lol. Good luck with your door atleast youve tackled it beffore!

Dani b19 - the seller will let them go at £100 if you make an offer mate, but the oem r8's are prob the way to go as theyre tried and tested by many! unless you like blue as i do ha

Is this supposed to look like this??

A4 B7, Front right axle top arms.

Sus1 Sus2

Errrrrr.... definitely not! :confusion: they should both look the same (as the one at top of picture). Examining the picture, it looks like someone has maybe drilled out a seized/snapped pinchbolt and taken the balljoint pin with it. Were the joints a rattling fit in the upright? I assume you are replacing the arms?

Last edited:
Definitely shouldn’t look like that. The rubber shouldn’t be cracked and destroyed the way it is on there. You might experience some noise for now like popping and creaking but I would change those when you have a chance.

Oh damn, yeah I was drilling a snapped pinch bolt. Do you think a new bolt and ball joint pin will fit? I'm hoping I've not drilled at an angle or is that just how they sit?

Hey Toblahoe - if the damage was caused by drilling, you have almost certainly drilled at an angle or greatly enlarged the hole through the upright which is made of alloy & therefore much softer than a drill!.
This is not good as the indentation/recess around the balljoint pin is meant as a safety feature - it is an interference fit with the Pinch bolt so even if the joint is rattling loose, it still can't come out unless the pinchbolt is removed. The pinchbolt is meant to be a reasonably tight fit through the upright to prevent any sideways movement or slackening of these balljoints. You may find that you will need another upright (as well as new top arms) to rectify this unfortunately.......... :sadlike:

Have a look on ebay - I just picked up an upright (For my B6) for £30.00 so it doesnt neccessarily have to be expensive. I'm fairly sure that the upright on the B7 is the same part.