What have you done to your A4 b6 today?

I have not taken any deliberate stills so far, the odd ones I have had, have actually been chosen by the camera. The one on the slight bend has an expansion strip which is around there. It’s that , which triggered the snap shot(small bump in the road basically).
What is cool is the easy UI regarding watching vids back. As an example I get in, start up, drive off with it telling me connected (before I get off the drive). So it records the journey which I can watch back fully. Of course this over writes eventually if not saved , but it’s easy to download if choose. Iirc my other cameras of past had 2min clips which were over written, with this I can basically record a full journey if choose .
I have not tried it myself, but any manual pics taken it keeps a 10s clip previous and after the shot taken. Which is a cool feature .
I have set my park mode to medium and tested that, so a tap on windscreen it records. It’s honestly quite a bit better than I expected , so no regrets as it has surpassed my expectation, regardless of being able to buy a better one for £15 cheaper. The packaging was good, the quick response to my password issue, the ease of returning it to an actual UK camera shop(I do try and avoid Amazon where possible and try and support UK shops that are taking the hit ). So even if it costs me a bit more , I can kind of sleep easier knowing I might be helping out a little in all this crazy right now.
Apologies for maybe being short but had a heck of a busy day running about getting prescriptions , loading up videos was kind of a low priority for me yesterday . Onwards and upwards . Cheers

Reactions: Cobra88
Been using autoglym wet wax with pretty good results. For me ease and quick to do comes first, limited time with work and kids, dog etc, spending a day detailing is not really an option. So little and often, usually 20 -30 mins twice a week , sometimes the once! Anyway, i am always on look out for products to try, seems to get favourable reviews all over, so the new TW hybrid ceramic. Bonus for me is not having to wait or dry the car. So thats what i have done today, tried this out, will see over time if its good or not. So far it applied easy enough .

lMScZTyl.jpg

PHOdgNxl.jpg

Another wash (yest aft) with autoglym shampoo and the TW hybrid. So far I’m impressed , will upload a pic of beading after a rain fall. Same when washing it , even then it beads off. For a quick easy apply when wet type wax, it’s a thumbs up for £18.

Good colour combos going on there .

Body won't show up the dirt & dust and wheels the brake dust .

Reactions: ven
Good colour combos going on there .

Body won't show up the dirt & dust and wheels the brake dust .

Thank you for kind words.
Yes , i decided on anthracite(does look a little darker being low light in pic) as the original alloys are a little too light. Just kind of putting my mark on, something i tend to do with my cars. WRX which was blue/black, went dark grey, then gunmetal on the Touareg(looked black though in low light, always wished it was a little lighter). So this time made sure a dark grey........but not too dark lol
They do not show up anything like the darker gun metal i had previous, i am happy it looking cleaner during the week.
WRX
ij5BhCil.jpg

Treg
RfM3Ipnl.jpg

s4
3rZ7ljnl.jpg

qk8e1obl.jpg

I do like discrete, under the radar type motors to an extent. Not in your face like many i see. But a car that kind of means business for those in the know :laughing:

I can highly recommend this dash cleaner(so to speak)/ shine. Smells lovely and not too glossy or matte . Beauty to, there is a walk in shop in Walkden, instead of funding amazon etc constantly. This is what i have done today! which i do at least once, usually twice a week.............even specks of dust drive me nuts(god help me).
hSg4z7Ul.jpg

Used these applicators, however i will try different ones come time as they maybe not the best value(so many mixed reviews saying last longer than cheaper, but pricey, so sometimes have to make own mind up.......using on tyres for example will soon wear them out, than a dash thats smooth).
vUVEdOcl.jpg

I have been using TW wet look tyre stuff for donkeys years, like maybe 15+. Always seemed he best when i would venture away. Of late i have been using the meguiares tyre and its very good. It certainly lasts weeks, even with some rain. Their applicator is decent to, an improvement for me anyway use to using a paint brush lol(tyre pic was with TW not this)
fazVu3zl.jpg

Reactions: Cobra88 and Gazwould
Not what i have done to it yet, but ordered ready! After reading up, more reading 10L of Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 5L Ester Synthetic Car Oil. Another oil filter ready for the change. Should be with me by weekend and then will just do at my convenience :whistle2:. As the oil in is not the better of oils(still OK for the miles driven, which will not be many lol). I will see what difference the ester content makes. My plan was every 3k, this change will be closer to 2k! However ................If i can get 12 months with this Pro S, then it wont cost me any more ........if makes sense. As i tend to do 5-6k a year, i will simply see the condition etc etc after 3k/6m of driving and take from there. i dont track day, i dont drive hard, if anything i am anal about letting it warm up fully before i go over 3k revs. Always been like that.:racer:

Very good oils for sure .

Maybe a bit overkill , VW 504.00 is one of the most complete manufacturers specs out there and is prescribed for RS cars , V8 , V10 etc .

20200721 174852

One of the secrets of oil selection is a manufacturer spec is a spec standardised to industry standards with a special set of ingredients this means brand is not an issue and can save you a lot of money .

I love it when the store manager has a bump on the head !

4gSw8VF 1

2015 04 14 133034

Reactions: Venomuk
I paid £80 for the 10L, so only £20 more than the Asda ,of which I can not find any info on, reg the v8 4.2 at least. Only reason, as it was a close choice with millers , just more feedback on the pro S that swung it. Call it piece of mind for £20 more , even though no doubt the Asda or other super market oils would be more than sufficient .

As the oil in is fine but not the best, I am interested to see (or hear)any difference with the ester content . I’m still at a second (or less depending) of rattle on start up. If the pro S can stop this, my brain will be happier even though it’s classed by Audi as normal. Of course when I do the change, I will update on my findings good or bad . It may help others down the line and maybe save money either way.
As the later s4 v6 are now going the same way as the v8, regular fresh oil seems the most important with the quality of. So down the line if I decide on a newer s4( not too sure with everyone mapping and modding them within an inch of their life, then easy to make look OE when selling). I digress a little here, but that’s one thing with the v8, without adding a sc, your not pushing the n/a engine to max or past. Other than downpipes, decat and a possible 20-30hp map(granted its more than just a few horses , with drivability apparently ),the v8 is not on its limit . Not to mention the extra strain on everything else (drive train). Will see when /if that time comes, still got my eye on an older rs6........oh the expense and bills scare me thinking about it lol.

If weather not too bad next weekend and all arrives as should, I will do the change then. Might even try that pump out!

What info did you want on the 504.00 Asda ?

Millers Nanodrive CFS NT+ is ment to be the best because of a Nano anti friction additive .

Guess what , 504.00 has group 5 Ester !

The info was regarding being used in the v8 basically. Long term use, chain rattle , running smooth etc etc. Just not enough info to find to make me sway for a £20 saving.

Yea that was the millers I have bookmarked, may try that time after Then I will have an actual comparison myself .

Good to know! Cheers, will bare in mind for sure

I've used it for 8 years in the 1.9 PD and every thing else in the family .

If it were inferior the 186K vulnerable narrow PD camshaft lobes and bucket tappet would be toast .

My brother put it in a Caddy across the road and the 4am start was quieter .

Reactions: Venomuk
Oh not saying inferior, just not enough info out there regarding the v8(or more to the point , no info at all, or what I could find).

Arrived ready for a change. Still await the oil filter.............might not be happening as planned. Seems i might be working at weekend.
98V5ZtGl.jpg

Fitted a lynx bar air freshener to try out.......No liquid which can damage the dash if leaks.(happened once on a previous car), 2 refills in pack, so far so good!
GpNIRtul.jpg

Oil filter came today, dry weather, why not! Pro S 5/40
Observations.........
Very noisy on start up for a couple of seconds, maybe bonnet up and at angle on ramp........wasnt that bad last time with the fuchs titan.
Took exact 9.5L again, to get max on dip stick.
Left it for a while, start and around 1 sec of rattle
Left 40 mins, start and rattle under a second. Defo no better than previous oil, seems no worse ......yet. Will know more in morning on that start. I was getting 1s or less cold start rattle.
The titan was only on 1200 miles when dropped. Only early i know, but i am not seeing what all the fuss is about for this Pro S oil with ester. In fact it just seems a bum steer so far. Oil does not get better with age and use! Will update as time goes on. All honesty, so far not impressed as this cost me almost double what the titan 5/40 cost. Maybe i was expecting more.......

Quick clean and TW ceramic wax , don’t like leaving the brakes over night wet. So went to top the tank up . On start under a second , V power and obv only off for a few minutes. Silent start which is to be expected . In all honestly it really doesn’t seem any different , still 1s or under , still smooth as it should be. The Titan oil in 1200 miles did not use a drop, oil level exact same spot just touching the upper orange on dipstick above gauze part. Kind of weird as expecting to top up 1/2 litre in that time, even have the 1L of oil waiting in a fresh tub.
Will check weekly as I always do and keep an ear on cold rattles. Either way no better or worse, be that good, bad or ????? :)

Hey Ven I have a set of straight uncracked 8x18 et45 S4 B6 Ronal Avus rims i will be selling soon.
just need powder coating ;)

Cheap cheap

I do actually quite like them, but prefer the rs4 ones i have. I do like OE looking, mine have just only been powder coated as well(were mint before and no curbing). But not really any point for me or even spares, just ends up as clutter. If i was to change, it would more than likely be 19". But defo not on cards anytime soon, happy with the ride . handling and discrete look.

Do like what you have done to yours, does really suit it . I did ponder it when i first got the s4, but my mate talked me out of it, saying too modern etc and wont look right. So do what you want, regardless of others, you are what matters lol

Thanks for the thought tho, appreciate it. If i was in the market or had beat rims, i would jump on it.

Oil filter came today, dry weather, why not! Pro S 5/40
Observations.........
Very noisy on start up for a couple of seconds, maybe bonnet up and at angle on ramp........wasnt that bad last time with the fuchs titan.
Took exact 9.5L again, to get max on dip stick.
Left it for a while, start and around 1 sec of rattle
Left 40 mins, start and rattle under a second. Defo no better than previous oil, seems no worse ......yet. Will know more in morning on that start. I was getting 1s or less cold start rattle.
The titan was only on 1200 miles when dropped. Only early i know, but i am not seeing what all the fuss is about for this Pro S oil with ester. In fact it just seems a bum steer so far. Oil does not get better with age and use! Will update as time goes on. All honesty, so far not impressed as this cost me almost double what the titan 5/40 cost. Maybe i was expecting more.......

I'm not familiar with Ester Racing marketed oils quieting down an engine only efficency gains and great anti wear .

But like I said 504.00 contains Ester and any Ester Racing oil will only have 10-20% Ester .

I have heard of things quieting down but not personally used possibly the best antiwear additive , WS2 .

I have 3 motorbikes and a VW T3 Bus that does 18mpg so an S4 is a step too far for me :)

PS tried to get Gaz's Bargain oil from my local ASDA ............nope :(

Haha so you get your fix then! I thought yours was an s4? Reg miles they are not too bad imho , not much worse than the WRX (200/300kg heavier than and twice engine size) and Treg 3L v6 TDI which both averaged 22 . S4 is 18-20 but the v8 noise makes it all fine. I only do 5-6k a year, so it’s not too bad for me.

I'm not familiar with Ester Racing marketed oils quieting down an engine only efficency gains and great anti wear .

But like I said 504.00 contains Ester and any Ester Racing oil will only have 10-20% Ester .

I have heard of things quieting down but not personally used possibly the best antiwear additive , WS2 .

All the reports from where I found out about the oil (various forums to build a better picture up) . Quieter or got rid of the noise, so I expected as mine is pretty minor and less than the 2-3 seconds of most. I just expect more that’s all, expected it to pretty much go. Never expect!!! lol

Will see how I get on now over the next 6 months or so and condition /colour etc of oil. If nothing major noticed then I might as well save money and go with the Titan oil. After all, it’s only going to be in 3k max.

Chain or cambelt ?

Chain on the s4 4.2 v8, however in others like s6(RS6 to) and Touareg(state side) its belt. To shoe horn it in, they shortened the engine by 2 inch or so, then in wisdom........ a chain/s x4 for life!!!! However...........good old audi,(ok audi are far from alone, many other manufacturers are same or even worse) the chains are fine, the tensioners wear with age. There is no life span of 50k or 100k etc, many variables and down to how long it was on the long life schedule(2yrs 20k example).
Luckily mine had oil/filt in between whilst on longlife. Anyway, the tensioners with age/wear bleed oil over time. Of course you need engine pressure for the hydraulic tensioners. It is classed as normal for 1-3 seconds of start up rattle, till engine pressure and tensions then tensioners! Hence rattle in that short time with the slack in chain, obviously if this continuous.........its a £2500-£3000 ish problem and quite an involving job. The worst part removing the engine. Could argue the cost is not much different for say 3 or 4 belts, but at least the cost is spread out over 15 years haha. So reason why im being anal about it, is just to keep on top of it. If there is a specific oil or viscosity that helps, i will try it out. The millers nano (will try the green stuff next probably)and Pro S come out tops from UK and US side with many many using / recommending.

To make things worse, audi have done nothing to actually sort out(maybe deliberate , who knows) because the newer v6 sc also suffer same!!!

I'd just change the tensioner .

Haha so would i! But engine out, not just 1 tensioner then its the good old " whilst its out, might as well get???? done" and £3k later or more, thank you very much! Too add, it can return again as little as 30k miles............So i will save my 3k for now until it continues. A lad who has had several s4 and an rs4 have all been same, never got worse or required tensioners. Im just looking at helping it along a little, not for engine out right now. It does not scare me, the Touareg has cost much more . But i also dont want to go that road yet, want to just enjoy and look after.

I'd just change the tensioner .

If you ever get some spare time or bored! This is a great vid of whats involved. Im an engineer and would love to do this job, just dont have tools or time at home.

Not a job you would trust anyone with...........

Yep , that's involving .
:sweatsmile:

Luckily i am confident i am not close to that job, not with under a second of cold rattle till get engine pressure. There are measures , some mods to fit which is called the accusump, along lines of this
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/canton...l1JLKoqU_muKp-TTTABoCnXwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But.........maybe something to fit long term if get tensioners done. Im not bothered right now, my plan is regular oil, enjoy. If X or Y happens, deal with it then, till then i will do preventative maintenance to keep it as tickety boo as possible :smiley: Life too short to worry about stuff

Other day a work mate asked about some mats, said he has some rubber ones with A4 on, do i want them. Why not, as not exactly spoilt for choice in the b6 , been trying to get some genuine S ones for a bit. So brought them in today, does not know why he had them, just been in garage a few years(never had an A4 either lol). They are 2015 but i can get them to fit fine, not slippy, dont move as a little larger than b6 mats. Free and happy!
zEYCq9Ul.jpg

Will fit once feet have been on it!
zibFq4Cl.jpg

Rears
aw6aJ9Il.jpg

Much better this time of year with kids and wet feet!!!! Might now that i know they can fit, maybe get some s4 ones at a later date.

Oil Pro S , yes not impressed . Obv running there is no difference i can hear or feel. But starting seems hit/miss. Not too bad the cold start this morning, cold start 8hrs later seemed to rattle a little over a second. Thats (i know i am being anal here but its what i notice)a little longer than the titan oil(both oils are 5/40, titan is 502/505 amongst other specs, Pro S is 5/40 and ??? specs, other than certain ratings, hard to work out. Either way i will not be putting it in again, i also will not be recommending it either. I dont care if it has a little better this, that , the other, i can only go off what i hear, its a little worse in noise than before. That part is fact with my v8, obv peoples mileage will vary...........ill get my coat!
Once i get over being annoyed at wasting £80, i will decide on maybe trying the millers, or just put titan back in. That regardless of having better specs available(Pro S apparently ) , the start up rattle on titan is quieter and not quite as long(under 1 sec). Some oils just work better than others. For 3k changes its not that important to me if chain noise is worse. Thats the only factor (obv how smooth it runs but that part seems no different) i am able to hear and notice.

So........watch this space, not sure if i want to risk millers and the cost.

Spoke to Tim, recommended a few oils to try. Asked why basically there is no 504 spec type or equivalent with the Pro S. It just shows
Specifications:
  • API SN,SM,SL
  • BMW
  • Mercedes

Which really does not help me much, especially as its been recommended by many and used in an Audi v8. Also i really dont want to read up endlessly on oil specs.

So not being tested for manufacturer approval reg VAG, is that a bad thing............or does it not matter(presuming latter as he does recommend the Pro S for S/RS . So OK so far!!!

Hi Mark

Perhaps try Millers CFS or the Gulf Competition, they are about the same price as the Pro S.

As the Pro S (and other performance oils) are aimed at performance cars, they are not tested for the manufacturer approvals. Also, specs like the 504 are longlife and reduced emissions oils, which performance oils are not aimed at meeting.

Regards

So i may try the millers next time, when i looked and decided on the Pro S, it was more down to simply reading up more on who have used it.
Nano CFS 5/40 specs
Specifications:
  • Manufactured to far exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and ACEA A3/B4
  • Ideal for fast road or track day use, especially in engines where a 5w30 is normally specified
  • Suitable for operating at 125°C with peak temperatures up to 150°C
Find it interesting that it states where 5/30 is normally specced. Well the v8 manual states 5/30 and 5/40. Does this mean its closer to 5/30 than 5/40? I know many variables anyway in their viscosity's.

The more i delve, the more oily the water!

Its been a while..
Just spent 4000£ getting the engine refurb...
Bought some refurbished injectors off eBay, came repacked, vacuum sealed and with test papers.

The car is an AVF, with retrofitted ARL injectors and BV43 turbo..

Car hasn’t been dynoed/mapped yet with ARL injectors and turbo

The thing that bothers me is when reading out block 23 with vcds ... BIP off in cyl 3 and 4

Can’t say the car is running optimal as it hasn’t been mapped yet..

But BIP is mechanical in the injector..

Bought off an eBay seller in Germany refurbished

Cylinderhead is brand new with cam and lifters and valves.. piston rings brand new also...

Should I get “new” injectors” for cyl 3 and 4??

No fault codes in Engine
d4cc8672797c67d9d14f1720c81acbf3.jpg

It’s a little hard to make out on phone , but 3 and 4 stand out with a big difference in flow rates . Can’t speak too much for your injectors. But on my Touareg, 4 was high, replaced, then another and so on. £280 each x6. But it sorted the issue . If it was me, I would replace the 4, as the others won’t be far behind . Which engine? Wow £4K , I hope it’s sweet as a bit for you after all that investment , and decade/s more fun!

All 4 injectors are bought as refurbished and in working order...

More if anyone knows about BIP, the tolerance according to vcds is -100 to + 100 so the last two exceeds this...
It doesn’t say any fault codes..

Could you swap inj 3 or 4 with 1 or 2 , to prove it’s the injector /solenoid if it moves. Or replace one with new and see if it improves .
Many variables, where were the injectors bought? , imho fitting new is the best option (admittedly not always perfect then). But with recon, depends on shop involved and there will always be ones that might be more worn than others. Only thoughts

I found when my injectors were failing , no fault codes were thrown either . But I watched on VCDS the flow rate increase on the next weakest injector .

Already swapped 3 and 4 once...

This morning I ran with live feed..

Cyl 3 and 4 said 6.0( air in system) while the BIP was within range..
After around 20 min.. they said 0.0, but then BIP increased to -128...

Im only trying to help but no expert, so i am only suggesting . If confident the injectors are good, could it be ECU related? I found the ECU can trim other injectors to compensate. For example, as mine were aged, they would flow more, the ECU would then trim the other injectors back, causing a limp mode. when pushed at higher revs under load. It does seem different to your issue. How does it actually drive? Is it going into limp mode?, mine did with no code on VCDS. Sorry for not much help, the only thing i would do, is fit 4 new injectors. So i know where i am up to and to rule out or not.

Was told its mechanical.. So has nothing to do with ecu..
Ecu is flashed with these injectors. The Old ones where in spec with block 18 and 23, but where old and a bit off in idle regulation, around +2.00mg/str in one cylinder..

But now, “new” injectors and brand new complete cylinder head, and **** is acting up...

Should perhaps learn how to swap injectors instead of paying the ship each time