1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your A4 b6 today?

krisavant Mar 18, 2014

1. ven

ven New Member

Ok cool, i normally order from opie and the last oil was only £8 more for 5L(so £16). Always been a little dubious with supermarket oils(granted as long as meet specs should be fine). I will check the oils out next time im at a tesco or asda, see whats what. Next oil change which is only 2k off, will try some 229.5. I will still change frequent though as its paper oil filter which can break down in the longer duration, the newer oil can last. I am a little overkill with maintenance though, i admit that. Thanks again gaz.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

Cool , I can imagine some would be dubious about Supermarket oil and finding producer is favourable .
    Like finding out the author of a remap file .

Ever heard of
    Screenshot_20200625-091225_Chrome.jpg
    ?

4. ven

ven New Member

I avoid their petrol, only run V power, so i am always a little dubious. I have used their fully synthetic oils years back with no issue. As long as meets correct specs, strictly speaking it should be fine. I know some manufacturers add their own additives (maybe like KFC with their recipe lol). But they also hold your wallet to ransom.

With me doing regular changes, i dont really want to pay for longlife oil if makes sense. The newer oils for longer service intervals is all fine, but my oil will still be changed every 3k ish. So i am not sure what extra value i would get, the v8 has just turned 110k, previous oil was at 107k. I will be honest, i do research things to death sometimes, end up burning my head out. As you can find too much info. Now that oil i have in right now, they do a 229.5 which is for long life. But at 3k intervals, is it really important? I can buy 10L of 229.3 for a little under £45. The 229.5 comes in 4L tubs, so the cost jumps to £90 for 12L(buying 2x 1L at £9.99 + 2x £30 would still cost £90 ).

Not heard of blackstone, no, a quick looks shows they test oil samples/ analysis.

5. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

ven likes this.
  6. ven

ven New Member

Good to know cheers, will check out next week and see what flavours are suitable for mine. Is the VW spec 502/505 not important then? As long as 229.5 , 5/40 I still want. I know oils have obviously improved since 16+yrs back, does this make the 502/504 pretty much redundant .

7. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

504.00 is the highest VW spec but a 5W30 .

Higher than 229.5 5W40 .

Some manufacturer specs can be thought of as a minimum quantity if there is something better .

ven likes this.