1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your A4 b6 today?

krisavant Mar 18, 2014

1. Manics

Manics New Member

There's been some talk of where to install additional gauges. Personally, I think A pillar and air vent gauges take away from the OEM finish, let alone the instrument cluster blocking ones.

I thought I'd share my chosen oil pressure gauge location down in the change drawer by the driver's right knee.

It's a great choice as it maintains, complements even, the OEM finish, is right next to the fuse box to run a live, and also directly underneath the hole in the firewall through the ECU box to run the sender wire. The readout is easily read through the steering wheel when driving.

prtQoko.jpg

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. quattrogone

quattrogone Quattro Back!

Ideal spot that :icon thumright:

4. stevey83

stevey83 Member

How does it read the oil pressure? I thought the oil switch on the b6 worked by setting the oil light on with low pressure, not an actual pressure reading.

5. Manics

Manics New Member

Yes stevey -the switch activates at sub 20 (I think it is) oil pressure. Below that and it throws a light. Therefore oil pressure data doesn't exist (which is why you can't read it in VCDS). The switch is just "is pressure above 20 psi yes/no"

Nearly all electronic gauges come with two components -the gauge itself, and a "sender" which is about the size of the gauge again which you install on the AUX port on your oil filter housing. You need to run a wire from the sender (which creates and sends oil pressure data) to the gauge. You also need to earth the sender. A live wire to the gauge and that's you done.

6. quattrogone

Cleaned the back end so I can photograph for the insurance company! :sorrow:

7. quattrogone

8. stevey83

stevey83 Member

[​IMG]

I feel your pain, hit a rock on the way home. I dont seem to have anything but problems

9. quattrogone

Ouch! that looks somewhat flat, won't be using that one again!
    I hate rocks in the road, tractors have got so wide that they constantly catch the banks in Devon which often pulls large rocks out into the road and that is quite a pain when the Octy VRS is so low that anything larger than a small Tangerine is a major obstacle :scared2: