1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your A4 b6 today?

krisavant Mar 18, 2014

1. Manics

Manics New Member

There's been some talk of where to install additional gauges. Personally, I think A pillar and air vent gauges take away from the OEM finish, let alone the instrument cluster blocking ones.

I thought I'd share my chosen oil pressure gauge location down in the change drawer by the driver's right knee.

It's a great choice as it maintains, complements even, the OEM finish, is right next to the fuse box to run a live, and also directly underneath the hole in the firewall through the ECU box to run the sender wire. The readout is easily read through the steering wheel when driving.

prtQoko.jpg

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. quattrogone

quattrogone Quattro Back!

Ideal spot that :icon thumright:

4. stevey83

stevey83 Active Member

How does it read the oil pressure? I thought the oil switch on the b6 worked by setting the oil light on with low pressure, not an actual pressure reading.

5. Manics

Manics New Member

Yes stevey -the switch activates at sub 20 (I think it is) oil pressure. Below that and it throws a light. Therefore oil pressure data doesn't exist (which is why you can't read it in VCDS). The switch is just "is pressure above 20 psi yes/no"

Nearly all electronic gauges come with two components -the gauge itself, and a "sender" which is about the size of the gauge again which you install on the AUX port on your oil filter housing. You need to run a wire from the sender (which creates and sends oil pressure data) to the gauge. You also need to earth the sender. A live wire to the gauge and that's you done.

6. quattrogone

Cleaned the back end so I can photograph for the insurance company! :sorrow:

7. quattrogone

8. stevey83

stevey83 Active Member

[​IMG]

I feel your pain, hit a rock on the way home. I dont seem to have anything but problems

9. quattrogone

Ouch! that looks somewhat flat, won't be using that one again!
    I hate rocks in the road, tractors have got so wide that they constantly catch the banks in Devon which often pulls large rocks out into the road and that is quite a pain when the Octy VRS is so low that anything larger than a small Tangerine is a major obstacle :scared2:

10. Andrew_avant

Andrew_avant New Member

Fitted these 18” beauties today. Can’t decide what colour to paint the callipers now that they are much more visible.. suggestions welcome. Not red though

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HelenB, Andy101 and I'm Just Rob. like this.
  11. Venomuk

Venomuk New Member

Looks tidy, I'd got gloss black? Somethings are best left subtle

Andrew_avant likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. quattrogone

Fitted a new wiper motor Saturday and then washed it Sunday!
    Today I've driven it to work and now it's dirty again :grimacing:
    washed.jpg

HelenB and Monzta like this.
  14. boffin486

boffin486 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group TDi quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Yep. Its a Bu66er Isn't it. All that effort and a little drive spoils it all...… :grumpy:

I'm Just Rob. likes this.
  15. boffin486

boffin486 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group TDi quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

The ONLY colour is Red I'm afraid. It should be law......

16. Cobra88

Cobra88 Active Member VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Definite No to red

Looks worse than red audi rings on a grill ;)

QuattroCalum likes this.
  17. boffin486

Touche.

I'm Just Rob. likes this.
  18. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Regional Rep Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

I'm with RED aswell if they are Brembo 18z's or similar , oem calipers are probably better in gunmetal or black really as the caliper material and design doesn't seem to suit some colours, but hey personal choice.

19. k.lockU2

k.lockU2 Member Team V6 Audi RS4 Audi S2 Audi A4 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S-line owners group

How about black calipers ,
    With the subtle white AUDI & RED sport logo or even the sline caliper decals On ebay sets of 6 ... 3 sizes to choose from. Would finish them off nicely ...

20. Wudy

Wudy New Member Team V8 Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Along with clearing some fault codes and reconnecting some dodging wiring I decided to add some subtlety to my newly acquired S4...

From this:
    IMG_20200401_175344.jpg

To this:
    IMG_20200401_180143.jpg

Leaving these sizeable tin cans to find a new home!

IMG_20200401_180606.jpg

Will be adding something more of an in-between at some point. Possibly some RS4 oval pipes which will involve some custom work with the valance...

HelenB and k.lockU2 like this.
  21. HelenB

HelenB Member

Fitted new coolant temp sensor, but must need a new thermostat as still takes ages to warm up . Also found three broken wires under the rubber boot by the driver's door hinge. Oh well it explains sudden loss of some interior electrics.

22. Wudy

Finally got around to fitting an armrest to the S4, have one in the B7 A4 and can't be without it now!

So, no going back at this point...
    IMG_20200408_163724_compress10.jpg

And now it's in. I'm happy with it, pending a new front latch and deciding whether to get the cover trimmed to match the 'silver' seats or stay black :/
    I think the black goes well with the black console etc.

IMG_20200408_174223_compress64.jpg
    IMG_20200408_174240_compress70.jpg

HelenB likes this.
  23. My a4 avant b6 2,5v6 Quattro sport, from standard I got her, I’ve purchased and refurbed a set of 19” Rs4 alloys, stage 1 map, mahoooosive air intake and 3inch exhaust cat back but want the whole lot doing now. EBC front and rear drilled and groove disc brakes, Brembo pads and bonnet raise kit. Quattro badges replaced and upgraded and a few other cheeky mods, driver not included

Attached Files:

HelenB likes this.
  24. They look awful well done for getting rid

25. Wudy

Wow that's a lot to get done in a day! :grimacing::laughing:
    Looking smart though!

Cheers mate, shame the others are tucked so far in, but they still look better and the end result will be even better when I get around to it! :thumbs up:

26. HelenB

HelenB Member

Fixed my driver's door wiring with a £20 look repair kit I found and it did it perfectly! Some are £60 for a kit or £145 for full genuine loom. I was a bit sceptical why it was third of the price of others like it but it came with spare wires to insert where needed so no problem at all with it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-...RNESS-REPAIR-LOOM-LH-RH-51277117/362788036320
    Quite happy with a nice permanent repair for £20 and couple of hours stripping it out, cutting off the broken wires, connecting up the new loom to the old with butt connectors/heat shrinking, wrapping back up and refitting.
    Now have working central locking, remote key, electric windows and mirrors - ALL were dead! Had 3 wires broken off completely and another cracked badly. Sorry photos are rubbish. IMG_20200417_160720.jpg IMG_20200417_161028.jpg

k.lockU2 likes this.
  27. Wudy

Satisfying fix! :icon thumright:

28. HelenB

HelenB Member

It really was! Considering electrics is my least favourite thing on cars! There's brilliant guides on YouTube by Total Technik for door card and wiring loom removal for first-timers. If I can do it anyone can!

k.lockU2 and QuattroCalum like this.
  29. k.lockU2

k.lockU2 Member Team V6 Audi RS4 Audi S2 Audi A4 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S-line owners group

I've used total technic many a time for a quick know how .

HelenB likes this.