What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week

Fitted a Ramair Pro-Ram

a7c72302a64e8d65d3458ab25f7dec76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: henkkeumus, chris11122 and Bryant1998
Roofspoiler fitted and gave the A3 a handwash since I dont dare to pull it through a automatic washer yet .
3095feb00417c4298e961ddab99d977f.jpg
414d962c848048577fc1af758c1e2620.jpg
81e753fc2eef8c19e71b13f61c7f68f6.jpg
b45b7d3dd9c3572a6b831ac725592097.jpg
43f6c89aab202c151b618f2dbce52a43.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 with Tapatalk

Reactions: Troubs12
I know I shouldn’t spend one more penny on the old dog but where did you source the new front end? The PFL front end always drives me mad with the ugly bumper stripes.
Just bought a second hand bumper and got it painted bud

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Fitted a new drop link and h&r 28mm front bar
9e8aa52d0422899907e04c0750eb5215.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998
How did you do it mate?
You' d laugh but its the best method get a sharpie of your colour choice and hold it in the middle of the stitch youll see it absorb it

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spiezels
You' d laugh but its the best method get a sharpie of your colour choice and hold it in the middle of the stitch youll see it absorb it

Ha! Brilliant, I was expecting something much more complex.

Will give it a go!

Reactions: e9_mustii
New top mounts all around, 10mm ride height increase and 4 wheel alignment this week. And to make it even more expensive I've got some new wheels and tyres on order

Now to tackle the persistent knock from the front that I assumed was top mounts

New top mounts all around, 10mm ride height increase and 4 wheel alignment this week. And to make it even more expensive I've got some new wheels and tyres on order

Now to tackle the persistent knock from the front that I assumed was top mounts

Have you tried replacing drop links?

Reactions: Eren S3
Have you tried replacing drop links?

Yeah, they were changed not that long ago, probably 6 months ago? The knock has been there for well over a year though. Thinking possibly ARB bushes although I don't know if doing that and taking off the drop links will knock the alignment out already?

Yeah, they were changed not that long ago, probably 6 months ago? The knock has been there for well over a year though. Thinking possibly ARB bushes although I don't know if doing that and taking off the drop links will knock the alignment out already?

Yeah arb’s a good shout, probably best to jack it up or make some little ramps and see what you can move that might be making the noise.
Don’t think it’ll necessarily knock the alignment out but is good practise to have an alignment done whenever you touch suspension I think. Even still, I can’t imagine replacing bushes would move it more than a couple degrees, probably less than a large pothole would

Reactions: Eren S3
Yeah arb’s a good shout, probably best to jack it up or make some little ramps and see what you can move that might be making the noise.
Don’t think it’ll necessarily knock the alignment out but is good practise to have an alignment done whenever you touch suspension I think. Even still, I can’t imagine replacing bushes would move it more than a couple degrees, probably less than a large pothole would

Funnily enough ramps are next on my list of things to do, I need low profile ones though so was thinking about making some out of some decent wood, give me something to do...

The potholes around here are just horrendous, the amount of weaving required is unreal!

When I get this done I'll report back.

Thanks for your help :)

Funnily enough ramps are next on my list of things to do, I need low profile ones though so was thinking about making some out of some decent wood, give me something to do...

The potholes around here are just horrendous, the amount of weaving required is unreal!

When I get this done I'll report back.

Thanks for your help :)

e720f42706c3d9f0820e4004304f7e60.jpg

I’ve got 4 of them, best things I’ve ever made.

I’m on stock suspension so you’re probably have to make it more of a ramp than 2 steps, I’m going to do that eventually anyway when I can be bothered lol

No worries mate hopefully you get sorted

Reactions: Eren S3 and JSB89
e720f42706c3d9f0820e4004304f7e60.jpg

I’ve got 4 of them, best things I’ve ever made.

I’m on stock suspension so you’re probably have to make it more of a ramp than 2 steps, I’m going to do that eventually anyway when I can be bothered lol

No worries mate hopefully you get sorted

Like this idea. I'll be on the hunt for some wood and get this made up! Yeah I'm a bit lower than stock on coilovers so might need another level on that ramp lol.

Attached my boot lip spoiler. Black mirrors are on their way and then I think I’ll be investing in black badges!

Attachments

• 2D32C1FA-7934-4180-94D5-0610DA80D2F5.jpeg
    2D32C1FA-7934-4180-94D5-0610DA80D2F5.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 5FC79FE6-BA7D-44D6-B862-94669645BF55.jpeg
    5FC79FE6-BA7D-44D6-B862-94669645BF55.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 277
Full service
Dropped off at garage for MOT and Cambelt water pump change and had two wheels refurbed. Painted the dust shields as they were rusted to hell whilst I had the wheels off

Doing no more. Spent enough on it. Just need to get the small triangles in the doors changed as they have bubbles. Car is then Mint. Not bad for an 8 year old

a2456ffbb3bd26cf1ea976599f4ef32c.jpg

Since corona doesn't get me anywhere this year I will be spending my vacation money on some mods.
Browsing the net and already got some parts for my next retofit (will make it into a guide since there is 0 information about it though).

Retrofitting front PDC + PLA (Park Assist).

Reactions: George Kost
Since corona doesn't get me anywhere this year I will be spending my vacation money on some mods.
Browsing the net and already got some parts for my next retofit (will make it into a guide since there is 0 information about it though).

Retrofitting front PDC + PLA (Park Assist).

was waiting for the day youd do park assist!
seen a guide for a jetta, but i think yours would be better as itll be 8p focused, and more descriptive. cant wait

seen a guide for a jetta, but i think yours would be better as itll be 8p focused, and more descriptive. cant wait

Saw some videos on the web about Lane Assist and Park Assist on the 8P and thought... That's what I want...

Found the PDC module and centre console buttons (PDC and PLA) at my local scrapyard. Just need to get a price from the man. Already send a mail out to Kufatec giving them the information and questions what looms I need to fix this.

Also my thesis is due somewhere next week so I'd expect this guide/retrofit done somewhere in the next month or so :). Quite excited myself too lol.

Not sure if I'm gonna buy myself a new front bumper or drill the holes in it myself .. Can't find to seem a good frontbumper for a decent price. Problem is, since I want my A3 to be full-options I have jetwashers for my headlights. This is an option not much A3's have so It's hard to find a bumper in a good condition with PDC, Washer holes, is a facelift bumper and in a normal condition for a decent price lol.

(@NHN You are a retrofit king aswell, did you do this mod youself? And if so, did you buy a new frontbumper or drilled the holes for it yourself?)

Last edited:
Front parking sensor here we come !

But before people get too hyped about it, still sourcing all the parts so it can take a while before its done

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 with Tapatalk

got a front camera, aint excited about the front sensors. but watching the wheel steer itself? sheeeeeeeeet

Wait you can get self park on the 8p?

Do you already have PDC to the rear? Or is it going to be a complete front and back retrofit? Can’t wait for your guide.

I made a topic for everyone/information and updates.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...distance-control-pla-park-lane-assist.417456/

Instead of raining down this topic I think it would be wise to create a central discussion point about the subject :)

Remove my old chrome s3 badge and replaced it with the new yellow/black s3 badge from stealthbadges, my only mistake was i forgot to use a hest gun to get the adhesive to a softer state and just using teeth floss lucky the weather was hot so naturally made it slightly softer with the help ot alcohol too

Sent from my SM-N976B
View attachment 203540
dd32bf0a7f76c56dab0c741865fea8ae.jpg
4eb1fe183bd41053433144b736e8330f.jpg

Reactions: Bryant1998 and henkkeumus
New rear inner lights fitted today

I finally managed to replace my old and faded rear inner lights.

I’ve learnt from experience to allow much more time for any jobs relating to the car, no matter how straightforward they should be. In fact it seems to be that what should be a quick and easy job never is (not for me anyway). Replacing my inner rear lights is a good example of this.

I ordered OE Magneti Marelli lights from Autodoc. Delivery took 11 days which was fine with me. I prefer to keep my cars in factory spec so only replace like with like. They came with the bulb housing and I decided to buy all new Philips bulbs at the same time.

My thanks to NHN for advising to disconnect the battery first to avoid any error codes when replacing the lights. I wasn't aware of that.

The job itself is pretty straightforward but I found it a bit fiddly.

Just when I thought everything was going fine I accidentally closed the rear tailgate. Of course, the battery was disconnected so I couldn’t open it again. I checked the car manual and it showed how to open it manually from inside the tailgate using the ignition key. Well, this took a while as I couldn’t see where the key was meant to go. Eventually I somehow got it open but not before dislocating a small piece of plastic trim inside. I then had to remove the back tailgate trim to fix it back on - ahh.

Also, when replacing one of the lights I was a little shocked to see the first signs of minor rust bubbles in one corner (see photo). It looks like where the water was collecting. The other side is perfect. Strange how that can happen. I cleaned it and touched it up with a little paint. Looks like I’ll have to revisit that over the summer and treat it properly before it spreads. Rust ruins a car for me and it always seems to return. I hate treating rust. I'm assuming the body shell is galvanised but not the tailgate and doors - is that correct?

It wasn’t until I fitted the lights that I noticed that the right hand side was missing the tip on one corner (see photo). At first I thought I accidentally damaged it but after checking the photos I took beforehand, it was definitely already damaged in the box. I left the protective plastic film on the lights until they were fitted so didn’t notice. It’s a bit annoying but they’re still vastly better than before and I couldn’t bear the thought of the hassle it would be to try and return one. The car’s not mint anyway.

After reconnecting the battery it came up with a warning light for the ESP and power steering which I imagine is to be expected. I took it for a short drive and all was fine.

It’s certainly a huge improvement and was worthwhile.

DSCF5257   Copy v2

Look closely on the right hand light and you can see that the tip is flatter.

IMG 2909   Copy

Oh dear, a few tiny rust bubbles! ahhhhhh.

IMG 2841   Copy

The old lights were VERY faded. Cleaning and polishing didn't work so I opted to replace with new ones.

IMG 2918   Copy

Second shock after the rust bubbles was seeing the missing light tip - ahhhh. Annoying but I can live with it.

IMG 2903   Copy

Decided I might as well fit all new bulbs at the same time - Philips replacement fog and reversing light bulbs.

Rear lights compare

Before and after - certainly a massive improvement.

Reactions: henkkeumus
Just replaced my broken PCV and dip stick. Also replaced the funnel too. Much easier than I thought it might be...
240ed347fd16e47acf4940c0bf524926.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

As no one wanted to buy it i resprayed it , not a great job but it will do

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_20200529_122249_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_20200529_122249_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 105
  • PhotoPictureResizer_20200529_134236_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_20200529_134236_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 97
I decided to rework my folding mirrors on remote mod. This time I wanted to make sure the door control units controlled the mirrors when ignition on, driving etc. Also desperately needed to tidy up the wiring in the doors. I think it turned out ok. I’m still waiting on one connector for the mod making it removable from vw that didn’t turn up today.

Before.

2b6b0378e71d0e814e1927394a194e62.jpg

After.

c3e4553094df1c05142ed1aacb677223.jpg

The mirrors in action:

Reactions: henkkeumus and JSB89
Since my A3 came with the Audi Chorus (2 speakers in the front and none in the back and none AMP+SUB) My doorcards also didnt had the connectors for speakers in them.

Got some looms that had the connectors on them, removed my orginal ones and replaced them.
Also wired the speakers again since I got the terminals that fit the connector now, taped them in for my personal OCD ( :D ) and build it back together.

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-12-2.jpg

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-13.jpg

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-13-2.jpg

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-12.jpg

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-11-3.jpg

Since my 8 channel PDC+PLA module came with the postage I wanted to make sure it functions. When unplugging my old PDC module I saw some corrosion. When replugged the original module couldn't be reached anymore so tomorrow will be a cleaning the connectors day :).

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-11.jpg

photo-2020-05-30-16-37-11-2.jpg

Reactions: Troubs12
It's been a loooooong day..

PDC module went faulty yesterday when reconnecting. Under further investigation I found corrosion so today I needed to clean it off. Got the connector apart and cleaned the pins on the connector aswell on the module itself.

photo-2020-05-31-17-16-34.jpg

photo-2020-05-31-17-16-32.jpg

After cleaning hookup up VCDS again and unfortunatly... It still gives me a fault.
When starting the car I got a start/stop problem too, this is because the start-stop system is on the same "line/system" as parking aid. So when one of the two is at fault your dash will light up as a christmas tree :).

photo-2020-05-31-17-16-27.jpg

photo-2020-05-31-17-16-44.jpg

Got the module out again and opened the puppy up.. And hard to see on this picture but there was some corrosion on the inside of the pin too. The pin that had corroded was the earthpin so makes sense for the module not to turn on if there is no electrical circruit.

photo-2020-05-31-17-16-30.jpg

After cleaning everything worked as normal :).

O yeah, and I swapped my rear chrome logo for a black one today.

3d2d6cc8e13d547eb57906d5de3a6b17.jpg

photo-2020-05-31-17-20-54.jpg

And yes yes yeeeeees, I will remove the A3 / TFSI badges too. It was just too hot to do them today :).
Looking for the A3 badge in matt black too, and looking into a company nearby that can wrap my roofrails into matt black.

Reactions: ch1z64 and samisnake
Looking for the A3 badge in matt black too, and looking into a company nearby that can wrap my roofrails into matt black.
#Aliexpress £3.23 12%OFF | Black / Silver Car Styling Logo Auto Accessories For Car Rear Bumper Trunk English Alphabet Letter Emblem Stickers Badge Decals
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7Ecbjd

Some there, but tbh id just debadge and leave the a3 and tfsi badges off

Look gloss black actually, could coat them with a matt lacquer.

Reactions: henkkeumus